By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - L.A. Noire - Xbox360 vs PS3 comparisson. Is this true?

Doobie_wop said:

A mod on Neogaf has said that the pictures were fake, don't know how he knows though.

Found this comparison on another site:

360 on the left, PS3 on the right.

http://www.la-noire.net/forums/thread-1032.html

Strange? because screen captures here show the 360 version much darker.

http://www.gamenyusu.com/component/content/article/8-all-news/505-90-untouched-screenshots-of-la-noire.html

Around the Network
Badassbab said:
D-Joe said:
Badassbab said:
D-Joe said:
Badassbab said:
brendude13 said:
Badassbab said:

I'm gonna wait for DF and LOT but if this looks better on 360 (I hope not as I want the PS3 version due to one disc and I doubt it due to it being platform lead on PS3) then it's gonna be a big blow for all the PS3 fanboys who've been anticipating a PS3 H2H win.

HEY, this is like the 4th website I have seen you on xD.

Either those pictures are bullshit, or it's bullshit that Rockstar said the PS3 would be the lead platform.

At the moment I believe Rockstar more than some random screenshots, I'll wait for more comparisons.

I'm a regular on Lens of Truth, Eurogamer and VG Chartz not sure about the 4th. IGN? Don't really comment on that one.

Team Bondi are the ones who said it lead on the PS3 and they are using their own game engine (Not RAGE that powered GTAIV and RDR). I'll be very surprised if 360 version is technically better. It might be in some ways but judging by recent H2H where the PS3 is lead it seems developers are now begining to offload tasks onto the SPU more while in order to keep the 360 up to speed the developers make sure the the frame buffer fits within the Edram so they don't have to resort to performance sapping tiling and as we all now know to fit in 10MB Edram something has to give i.e resolution or AA. E.g Gears 3 will have no AA but will be 720p.

well Gears2 already 2xAA and 720p

It was dynamic 2xAA whereby the AA would give way to other effects so if the scene had other post processing effects such as motion blur, it would turn off.

according to B3D,not dynamic 2xAA(if it's they will notice it)

and you know,GTA4,2xAA,RDR,2xAA,Fallout 3,4xAA

I stand corrected. It uses AA early on in the rendering process so 2xAA on static objects, baked lighting and shadows etc. But not on anything else so Epic got rid of it in Gears 3 to save resources.

Also those games you mentioned cut back in other areas like motion blur, depth of field, HDR, alpha effects (or lack of).

er ok at first i thought you just talking between AA and res

wait,you're

D-Joe said:
Badassbab said:
D-Joe said:
Badassbab said:
D-Joe said:
Badassbab said:
brendude13 said:
Badassbab said:

I'm gonna wait for DF and LOT but if this looks better on 360 (I hope not as I want the PS3 version due to one disc and I doubt it due to it being platform lead on PS3) then it's gonna be a big blow for all the PS3 fanboys who've been anticipating a PS3 H2H win.

Either those pictures are bullshit, or it's bullshit that Rockstar said the PS3 would be the lead platform.

At the moment I believe Rockstar more than some random screenshots, I'll wait for more comparisons.

I'm a regular on Lens of Truth, Eurogamer and VG Chartz not sure about the 4th. IGN? Don't really comment on that one.

Team Bondi are the ones who said it lead on the PS3 and they are using their own game engine (Not RAGE that powered GTAIV and RDR). I'll be very surprised if 360 version is technically better. It might be in some ways but judging by recent H2H where the PS3 is lead it seems developers are now begining to offload tasks onto the SPU more while in order to keep the 360 up to speed the developers make sure the the frame buffer fits within the Edram so they don't have to resort to performance sapping tiling and as we all now know to fit in 10MB Edram something has to give i.e resolution or AA. E.g Gears 3 will have no AA but will be 720p.

It was dynamic 2xAA whereby the AA would give way to other effects so if the scene had other post processing effects such as motion blur, it would turn off.

I stand corrected. It uses AA early on in the rendering process so 2xAA on static objects, baked lighting and shadows etc. But not on anything else so Epic got rid of it in Gears 3 to save resources.

Also those games you mentioned cut back in other areas like motion blur, depth of field, HDR, alpha effects (or lack of).

wait,you're

yeah..... reading is hard, I know.

dahuman said:
D-Joe said:
Badassbab said:
D-Joe said:
Badassbab said:
D-Joe said:
Badassbab said:
brendude13 said:
Badassbab said:

wait,you're

yeah..... reading is hard, I know.

woo why you're here?

brendude13 said:

Ahh that makes sense.

So if they had roughly 20mb of EDRAM they wouldn't be in this mess?

What is the PS3 equivelant of the EDRAM, what allows the PS3 to have 720p images with all the nice little extras?

Yep if MS had that much Edram all 360 games would most likely be 720p with all the bells and whistles and it would probably win all multiplatform H2H without fail.

As for PS3 Edram equivalent? Doesn't have any. It has a split memory so 256MB for VRAM and extremely fast 256MB main RAM. It does have the Cell processor so programmers can off load tasks onto it's powerful SPU's and for gaming purposes it can use up to 5 of those which is what Sony first party studios do and an increasing number of third party studios are doing. So for example MLAA can be handles by one SPU, A.I by another, physics by another etc. And because it's a more traditional set up in the memory side, it doesn't have to worry about tiling.  The framebuffer can be big (I think Killzone 2-3 are around 20-30MB)  because  the developers can use the Blu Ray space and default HDD to cache data and of course off load GPU tasks onto the Cell's SPU so the limited RAM space is alleviated.

Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:
yo_john117 said:
trasharmdsister12 said:

Damn you! I speant nearly 5 minutes watching that silly thing >:(

So the gif "rings" true. Payback for your avatar.

Hey at least you enjoy looking at my avatar! The whole time I watched that gif I didn't get one ounce of enjoyment!

I dunno about that picture but from what I can tell you, the 360 versions always have better lighting (Are always brighter), but the PS3 versions always have sharper models and better shadows.

D-Joe said:
Badassbab said:

wait,you're

It's not just AA and resolution that nees to fit within the Edram buffer.  Z/Stencil buffer, HDR lighting, floating points etc.

I'm going to go ask someone for a favor, and we we'll have a real screencap of the game

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

*Pirate Voice*

AAaaaargggh! CONSOLE WARZ AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!11!!1!1!ONE!!1!11ONEONE!