By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - will/is the 360 a success?

Spectrumglr said:
dschumm said:
Spectrumglr said:
CrazzyMan said:
NO, x360 is a FAILURE.
It FAILED to sell twice more, then in it`s FIRST year.
It FAILED on it`s BEST year.

best years come when price hits mass marke level...ie 199$/199€: this was true for PS2 and xbox...i don't see why this shouldn't happen in the current generation.

This is one of the most laughable statistics people draw out. Most consoles launch at $250 and have their first price drops in 1 year. They usually have 80% of their lifetime at a mass market price. I have serious doubts that MS will even have the baseline arcade at $199 for the 4th Christmas. The premium might hit $199 for Christmas 5,probably the same time the 720 gets launched. No this will be the greatest problem with the 360.

don't know where you come from...but the reality here on earth is that 300€+ for parents that want to make a present to their children is simply too much...and is probably too much even if you earn your money and you're not a nerd that has no social life: for the vast majority of people a console it's just home entertainment like throwing a DVD in the DVD-Player and watching a movie and 300€ for a couple of hour a week is (again) simply too much.

You are making my point for me. The price of the 360 is too high, and pricedrops have been too slow and too small. Mass market price is good but only if there is a lot of life left in the system. I think prices should have been $249/$299/$349 this christmas with another pricedrop of $50 for GTA4. That would have killed Sony in the US, given the Wii a run for its money, and actually pushed the kind of marketshare Microsoft is looking for.

Also as parents get more educated on the subject, a paid online service is hurting the precieved cost ofthe system, even if it 's features are far superior. They need to bundle a free 6 months of gold with every system.

For the record I so earn my own money, I am a parent, and price is one of the big reasons I own a Wii and not a 360 or PS3. 

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Around the Network

Crazzy -

By using your logic, the PS2 sold 80% of it's entire LTD after the first price drop. This means that if the X360 does the same, it'll sell somewhere near 80 million Xbox 360s. Eh?

Crazzy - this is your LAST warning. If you post one more stupid post as some sort of quasi-fact, calling people noobs, and such, your getting a month-long ban from me.

Yes, a month long ban. You need to:

a) Learn to be more civil. No name calling on forums
b) No trolling/flaming. Your a Sony fanboy. Why are you coming into the MS forums and attacking an MS system?
c) Learn proper english. With as many posts as you have, you really should try to argue more properly. Act more courteous. I don't know if courtesy is common in whatever country you live in, but you should learn it sometime.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

dschumm said:
Spectrumglr said:
dschumm said:
Spectrumglr said:
CrazzyMan said:
NO, x360 is a FAILURE.
It FAILED to sell twice more, then in it`s FIRST year.
It FAILED on it`s BEST year.

best years come when price hits mass marke level...ie 199$/199€: this was true for PS2 and xbox...i don't see why this shouldn't happen in the current generation.

This is one of the most laughable statistics people draw out. Most consoles launch at $250 and have their first price drops in 1 year. They usually have 80% of their lifetime at a mass market price. I have serious doubts that MS will even have the baseline arcade at $199 for the 4th Christmas. The premium might hit $199 for Christmas 5,probably the same time the 720 gets launched. No this will be the greatest problem with the 360.

don't know where you come from...but the reality here on earth is that 300€+ for parents that want to make a present to their children is simply too much...and is probably too much even if you earn your money and you're not a nerd that has no social life: for the vast majority of people a console it's just home entertainment like throwing a DVD in the DVD-Player and watching a movie and 300€ for a couple of hour a week is (again) simply too much.

You are making my point for me. The price of the 360 is too high, and pricedrops have been too slow and too small. Mass market price is good but only if there is a lot of life left in the system. I think prices should have been $249/$299/$349 this christmas with another pricedrop of $50 for GTA4. That would have killed Sony in the US, given the Wii a run for its money, and actually pushed the kind of marketshare Microsoft is looking for.

Also as parents get more educated on the subject, a paid online service is hurting the precieved cost ofthe system, even if it 's features are far superior. They need to bundle a free 6 months of gold with every system.

For the record I so earn my own money, I am a parent, and price is one of the big reasons I own a Wii and not a 360 or PS3.

so apparently we come form the same planet ;) (i don not have children for the moment but i earn my money and i find x360 and ps3 too expensive: toys for rich people!) ...i bolded one senctence from your post: that's a good point but honestly i don't think that X360 hasn't enough life left. Actually i think that this sytem in MS mind is gonna last as long as PS3...and it will have at least 3 years of sales after hitting mass market price like ps2 did in the past generation): i don't think they want to repeat the mistakes they made with the first xbox and stop supporting the product once it has a chance to become profitable

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

sorrowsfountain said:

has the 360 reached a stable plateau for sales or are there games on the horizon that will push sales? clearly it has/will be more successful than the original in total sales and profit but its actual market share worldwide could wind up the same or even less when this generation ends. would that make it a sucess or failure? please apply logic to responses and offer concrete answers.

Assuming that 'success' in this generation is defined by profit, as Microsoft said it would be in the second generation, then the Xbox 360 is a failure so far and will very likely be a failure by the end of the generation.  But things aren't so black and white.

Things changed this generation in North America.  If it wasn't for the 360's ridiculous failure rate, which MS still hasn't fixed, and the huge surprise of the Wii behemoth which has no known end to its demand, Microsoft might be in a different position right now. MS did a lot of things right this generation, and had they been more careful and a little more lucky with their gameplan, they might be dominating.

Depending on how market share shakes out, and how Microsoft handles its 360 failure rate issue going forward (it needs to get fixed), MS could very reasonable consider the 360 a success if it grabbes significantly more market share than the original Xbox did, or it shows potential in generating several profitable years.  However, since Microsoft is shielding their profit reports from the cost of the RROD repairs, those should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm inclined to say that the 360 is on its way to success but the reliabilty issue is a signficant hurdle for MS to negotiate.  If they handle it well, their chance of having a serious success on their hands will be high. 

I think success is too strong a word for the 360's present situation. It's not a failure but it hasn't been the success MS was shooting for. Frankly the 360 only looks as good as it does because of Sony shooting itself in both feet and lighting itself on fire.

I don't have time for a big analysis so I'll just agree with dschumm's points.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
sorrowsfountain said:

has the 360 reached a stable plateau for sales or are there games on the horizon that will push sales? clearly it has/will be more successful than the original in total sales and profit but its actual market share worldwide could wind up the same or even less when this generation ends. would that make it a sucess or failure? please apply logic to responses and offer concrete answers.

Assuming that 'success' in this generation is defined by profit, as Microsoft said it would be in the second generation, then the Xbox 360 is a failure so far and will very likely be a failure by the end of the generation.  But things aren't so black and white.

Things changed this generation in North America.  If it wasn't for the 360's ridiculous failure rate, which MS still hasn't fixed, and the huge surprise of the Wii behemoth which has no known end to its demand, Microsoft might be in a different position right now. MS did a lot of things right this generation, and had they been more careful and a little more lucky with their gameplan, they might be dominating.

Depending on how market share shakes out, and how Microsoft handles its 360 failure rate issue going forward (it needs to get fixed), MS could very reasonable consider the 360 a success if it grabbes significantly more market share than the original Xbox did, or it shows potential in generating several profitable years.  However, since Microsoft is shielding their profit reports from the cost of the RROD repairs, those should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm inclined to say that the 360 is on its way to success but the reliabilty issue is a signficant hurdle for MS to negotiate.  If they handle it well, their chance of having a serious success on their hands will be high. 

MS posted a profit this quater.

End of 2008 predcition:

Wii: 34 million

360: 23-26.5 million

PS3: 15-18 million

@mrstickball:

PS2 increased it`s sold number TWICE on second year.
x360 FAILED to do THAT.
Unless x360 will sell 20 mln. in 2008 - IT IS A TOTAL FAILURE.

And by the way, what logic? we speak about SALES, not price cut. Don`t try use your imagination, instead of my words.

MY LOGIC:
http://vgchartz.com/worldcons.php?date=36951&sort=0
After FIRST WW Christmas without shortages:
Sony Mar-2001 10.61 mln.

http://vgchartz.com/worldcons.php?date=37316&sort=0
After SECOND WW Christmas without shortages:
Sony Mar-2002 28.68 mln.

http://vgchartz.com/worldcons.php?date=37681&sort=0
After THIRD WW Christmas without shortages:
Sony Mar-2003 51.20 mln.

http://vgchartz.com/worldcons.php?date=39142&sort=0
After FIRST WW Christmas without shortages:
Microsoft Mar-2007 10.94

After SECOND WW Christmas without shortages:
It will be somewhere near 18,5 mln. -> FAILURE.

p.s.
1) make peole to stop posting bullshit.
2) i didn`t noticed what forum this was, and i don`t go into M$ forums, i just clicked the thread, which was on MAIN page.
And i am not sony fanboy. =)
3) english is not my native language. If i start write in my native language, you will need a dictionary, is that better?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
@mrstickball:

PS2 increased it`s sold number TWICE on second year.
x360 FAILED to do THAT.
Unless x360 will sell 20 mln. in 2008 - IT IS A TOTAL FAILURE.

Ok, so are you going to call the PS3 a TOTAL FAILURE next year if it fails to do the same thing?  In your opinion is the PS3 a total failure if it doesn't surpass or at least match the sales rate of the PS2 during it's lifetime?

@Legend11:

YES.
If by the end of March 09 PS3 fail to do atleast 25 mln. Then SONY FAILED.
The ONLY exception which CAN be, that FFXIII won`t be released till that TIME.

But not to sell 25 mln. with MGS4, GT5, KZ2, LBP, FFXII, Resistance2, Motorstorm2, Wardevil, Infamous, GTA4, Getaway3, NEW Jak, NEW Team ICO game, Tekken6, SC4, Disgaea3, DMC4, Haze, UT3, Naruto PS3, Socom, RE5, SH5, Heavy Rain, WKS and etc. IT`s a FAILURE, imo.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

If your not a Sony fanboy, then why do 100% of your posts have to do with being anti-MS, and your signature is 100% about the PS3? Your not obsessed, or care about anything but the PS3.

So what does that mean?

And lastly, learn to read where the forums are located. This is in the Microsoft forum. That means that Microsoft X360 owners are here.....So try to post intelligently, which you are not 95% of the time.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.