By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RE: Umbrella Chronicles Hands-on

Smash_Brother said:
Kwaad said:

As Shams, A Wii fanboy. (sorry shams, I do like your last post, and you do tend to be one of the less rabid ones tho) said.

It would be a re-wire. They would basically have to re-create RE5 on the RE4 engine. Wich would most likely require a complete remodel of everything. Basically adding a 2-3 year dev cycle to create this 'port' But by the time it would be done, it would be a 'remake' of RE5, and not a port, becuase of the massive ammounts of money/investment in it.

The thing is, it has been a year and seven months since an RE "gameplay" footage was shown, and that was from 2005.

If Lair showed us anything, it's that you can't rely on year-old media as an example of what the final game will look like. Hell, RedSteel proved THAT in 6 months.

A year and seven months is an AWFUL long time for a game to go into hiding for a developer like Capcom, espeically when the Capcom show just happened and we got NOTHING about RE5.

At this point, nothing is set in stone. To say that they'd be remaking it is jumping to conclusions since we don't know that they've MADE it in the first place.

If the graphics are close to performing on a Wii, then it likely dosent push more than 10-20% of a PS3/360, and since it is being designed for them in though, that would make capcom a VERY sucky dev.

If it is a bad engine... it will still run at 100% on PS3/360. It just wont look good. However porting it to the Wii would be just as hard, as it has that 10-20x power diffrence. Meaning it would have to shave off 95% of the games power usage. (that is no small number) 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
Kwaad said:
Smash_Brother said:
Kwaad said:

Explain to the Wii guys why RE5 likely wont be seen on Wii.

I'm not saying RE5 will go the way of Dead Phoenix (it's a new kid icarus game, LOLOL!) but I wouldn't be placing any bets on it until we see some new media, which we haven't seen in nearly two years now. I don't think the notion that Capcom has placed it on the back burner is too hard to believe right now.

It's also odd that Capcom showed off nothing for RE5 at their latest game show. The only console that received any RE love was the Wii.

As Shams, A Wii fanboy. (sorry shams, I do like your last post, and you do tend to be one of the less rabid ones tho) said.

It would be a re-wire. They would basically have to re-create RE5 on the RE4 engine. Wich would most likely require a complete remodel of everything. Basically adding a 2-3 year dev cycle to create this 'port' But by the time it would be done, it would be a 'remake' of RE5, and not a port, becuase of the massive ammounts of money/investment in it.

We haven't seen anything for RE5, because I think its scheduled for late next year (or later) - not this year. Am keen to see what they can actually do with the series - its going to take a lot to make this a real "next-gen" game. Maybe things like "internals" (i.e. guts, holes, guts dragging on poles and stuff like that?).

Just adding more enemies is nothing. Some of the scenes in RE4 were amazing, with the number of enemies they were throwing at you. And all that with NO slowdown (i.e. the hut scene, where you are trapped inside, and all the baddies try and get you through the windows, etc..). And that was a Gamecube it was running on.

Maybe it could be RE meets GTA? Imagine the concepts from RE4, extended to a city like New York (umm Liberty City :>) - something more like Silent Hill. Driving over zombies with vehicles?

Whatever they do, it has to be a massive increase in scope to warrant a "true" next-gen Resident Evil experience. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kwaad said:
Smash_Brother said:
Kwaad said:

The thing is, it has been a year and seven months since an RE "gameplay" footage was shown, and that was from 2005.

If Lair showed us anything, it's that you can't rely on year-old media as an example of what the final game will look like. Hell, RedSteel proved THAT in 6 months.

A year and seven months is an AWFUL long time for a game to go into hiding for a developer like Capcom, espeically when the Capcom show just happened and we got NOTHING about RE5.

At this point, nothing is set in stone. To say that they'd be remaking it is jumping to conclusions since we don't know that they've MADE it in the first place.

If the graphics are close to performing on a Wii, then it likely dosent push more than 10-20% of a PS3/360, and since it is being designed for them in though, that would make capcom a VERY sucky dev.

If it is a bad engine... it will still run at 100% on PS3/360. It just wont look good. However porting it to the Wii would be just as hard, as it has that 10-20x power diffrence. Meaning it would have to shave off 95% of the games power usage. (that is no small number)

You don't know anything about how far the game is in production.  They could very well have scrapped engines, and they could make a Wii game if they wanted.  They could have two seperate Resident Evil 5s, which could be essentially the same game, but one built specifically for PS3 and 360, and one built specifically for Wii...it's not unheard of. 

I think the makers of Godfather did something like that with the recent games, BlackHand and whatever the PS3 game is.  They're not much different, but the PS3 game is built differently, and does look better.  BlackHand is still plenty fun though, and in fact got a better score because of the controls.

If they made a Wii Resident Evil 5, that looked around twice as good as Resident Evil 4, I would be plenty happy with that...and I can see Capcom doing that, considering all their current support for Nintendo.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Kwaad said:

Where did you get the figure of the PS3/360 being 10-20x more powerful than the Wii?

The PS360 CPU is 2-3x more powerful, the graphics card is 3-4x and the RAM is 4-5x more than the Wii's, except that the PS360 RAM is shared RAM whereas the Wii's is dedicated RAM.

On average, it's safe to say the PS360 is 3-4x more powerful, but 10-20x is WAY off.

Furthermore, the PS360 could be 1,000x more powerful than the Wii but it doesn't change the fact that we have no proof that RE5 has followed the same track we previously believed it to be on.

I don't see any reason why a game we haven't seen in nearly two years couldn't have undergone some sweeping changes to its design, especially since the only footage we saw of it was pre-Sony E3 2006.

I wouldn't put RE5 on the GC, oh HELL no, but I wouldn't see anything wrong with putting it on the Wii and the fact that Capcom is spending time on an updated Wii port of RE4 shows they believe it will have some success on the console.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Here is another preview/hands-on for Chronicles I came across. They seem to like it a lot..

http://www.gametab.com/news/877764/ 

"As we've touched on already, the game looks absolutely stunning, and easily the best-looking game we've seen so far on the Wii. If you're familiar with the old static rendered backdrops of old, then breezing through fully destructible 3D versions of these ornate locations is a curious thrill. It's the best form of retro tourism, hitching a ride through a forgotten part of your gaming brain, and discovering that it looks even better than your remember it. Normally, delving into such wanton nostalgia only leads to dumbstruck disappointment, but you'll only feel admiration for the way Capcom has reinvigorated some of its finest work."

BTW, I got the bit about "being able to look around" slightly wrong (you can, but not anywhere - it limits you)

"Having said that, the game does grant you the ability to shift your viewpoint within a few degrees with the Nunchuk, and often doing so gives you a chance to snag otherwise hidden ammo and health, not to mention the chance to shoot approaching zombies earlier than if you'd kept the viewpoint centred. On the other hand, there's a risk-reward element to shifting the viewpoint, and while you're busy looking the other way, you can just as easily find yourself blind-sided by your own greed. Take note, greedy ammo man. "

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

As far as RE5's development is concerned, don't forget that RE4 was completely scrapped I believe it was three times.  It was going to be a game where your enemy was your growing dementia or something, one where you were fighting unseen forces, another with just plain zombies, and lastly the not-zombie zombie people.

It's hard to say what could happen with a game that's been essentially non-existent for 2 years.  I can't imagine it would cost more than $1-2 million to make it for the Wii if Capcom decided to.  All it would need to sell is 250k (not counting sales poached from the other consoles) to justify that price.  They'd have to do it in a different engine to be sure, but the levels, story, characters and such would all be finished.

Something else to consider is Japan.  I don't know how big the RE fanbase in Japan is at this point but it's becoming clear that any game a dev wants to sell well in Japan is going to have to be on the Wii.  If Capcom expects RE5 to do well in Japan they'll have to pay the price to move it to the Wii which means they may as well do it here also.

Basically, it makes the most financial sense for Capcom to make RE5 for the Wii...plain and simple.  They can certainly make it an epic game ala RE4...the Wii is much more powerful than the Gamecube.

I'm predicting an announcement around E3 about RE5, and the fact that it will be on the Wii.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

to return on the topic, just wanted to mention some euro-loving for once, capcom having announced that RE4 wii edition will be out in Europe on june 29th, and RE UC in 2007, like the rest of the world.

thanks capcom and please nintendo, be nice and copy... (I WANT SUPER PAPER MARIO!!!)