By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RE: Umbrella Chronicles Hands-on

diamuerto - more or less. The PS2/GC were only like 2x power diffrence.

The PS3/Wii are more like 10-20x power diffrence.

You cant port a PS3 game to Wii. (if you could, why arent the big graphics games coming to wii? Unless it is running a totally diffrent graphics engine, with diffrent graphics, and normally a diffrent game... so it's not a port) 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

You cant port a PS3 game to Wii. (if you could, why arent the big graphics games coming to wii? Unless it is running a totally diffrent graphics engine, with diffrent graphics, and normally a diffrent game... so it's not a port) 

Yeah I knew all of this, what are you trying to tell me?

Kwaad said:

If graphics dont matter that means the PS2 version is better because it has more content. Why are Wii gamers saying Graphics matter? Oh wait, it's ok to say GameCube graphics > PS2. But PS3 graphics > Wii = not imporant.

Sorry. Couldnt help but point this out.

I'm not trying to defend faulty fanboy logic, but what else do you expect?

As for the game, I'm gonna rent this first, but I'll be more likely to buy it if they have multiplayer, which makes sense because otherwise Jill is just tagging along with Chris for moral support.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

diamuerto said:
Kwaad said:

Yeah I knew all of this, what are you trying to tell me?

Explain to the Wii guys why RE5 likely wont be seen on Wii.

@ Wii guys (that sounds funny)

We won't see RE5 ported to wii because wii does not have enough power to do it.

Oops, here is the problem with that Kwaad. I agree if there is any kind of "port" of re5 to wii it will not be anywhere close to what the ps3 version looks like.  The thing is, it is very possible to make re5 on wii look way better (2 times as good theoretically) than re4, which would look pretty damn good. The only problem I see is developers not wanting to start ground-up with the graphics for a re5 port to wii. That would be the only fault, but I don't think it would be totally out of question.

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

If graphics dont matter that means the PS2 version is better because it has more content. Why are Wii gamers saying Graphics matter? Oh wait, it's ok to say GameCube graphics > PS2. But PS3 graphics > Wii = not imporant.

Sorry. Couldnt help but point this out.

Not more than the Wii version... sorry, couldn't help but point that out ;)

As for porting RE5 to the Wii...

Its unlikely. If Umbrella Chronicles does well, they are likely to make another game like it (maybe RE5 in the same style). If it doesn't, and RE5 does do well - also unlikely to port it.

If RE5 does well (but not as well as they liked, and the Wii takes off) - we'll have to see RE5, and what it has in it.

Its unlikely that a port is impossible (you can really port anything to anything - might be more of a rewrite really), but if it does happen it may be 3 or 4 years away.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kwaad said:

There's nothing REALLY holding it back, unless RE5 features hundreds of enemies on screen at once, which no previous RE has ever done.

The graphics can be scaled down. If they were willing to scale down the GC version for the PS2, there's nothing stopping them from doing the same for the Wii.

On another note, when was the last time we even saw new media for RE5? According to IGN, the last new media seen was basically the only media seen: at the TGS 2005 when the trailer was shown off. This was still before developers had final PS3 hardware (and we're seeing the ramifications of that in the newest Lair media).

I'm not saying RE5 will go the way of Dead Phoenix (it's a new kid icarus game, LOLOL!) but I wouldn't be placing any bets on it until we see some new media, which we haven't seen in nearly two years now. I don't think the notion that Capcom has placed it on the back burner is too hard to believe right now.

It's also odd that Capcom showed off nothing for RE5 at their latest game show. The only console that received any RE love was the Wii.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Why did they kill Dead Phoenix(ironic), it looked awesome. 

Smash_Brother said:
Kwaad said:

There's nothing REALLY holding it back, unless RE5 features hundreds of enemies on screen at once, which no previous RE has ever done.

The graphics can be scaled down. If they were willing to scale down the GC version for the PS2, there's nothing stopping them from doing the same for the Wii.

On another note, when was the last time we even saw new media for RE5? According to IGN, the last new media seen was basically the only media seen: at the TGS 2005 when the trailer was shown off. This was still before developers had final PS3 hardware (and we're seeing the ramifications of that in the newest Lair media).

I'm not saying RE5 will go the way of Dead Phoenix (it's a new kid icarus game, LOLOL!) but I wouldn't be placing any bets on it until we see some new media, which we haven't seen in nearly two years now. I don't think the notion that Capcom has placed it on the back burner is too hard to believe right now.

It's also odd that Capcom showed off nothing for RE5 at their latest game show. The only console that received any RE love was the Wii.

As Shams, A Wii fanboy. (sorry shams, I do like your last post, and you do tend to be one of the less rabid ones tho) said.

It would be a re-wire. They would basically have to re-create RE5 on the RE4 engine. Wich would most likely require a complete remodel of everything. Basically adding a 2-3 year dev cycle to create this 'port' But by the time it would be done, it would be a 'remake' of RE5, and not a port, becuase of the massive ammounts of money/investment in it. 

Kwaad said:

As Shams, A Wii fanboy. (sorry shams, I do like your last post, and you do tend to be one of the less rabid ones tho) said.

It would be a re-wire. They would basically have to re-create RE5 on the RE4 engine. Wich would most likely require a complete remodel of everything. Basically adding a 2-3 year dev cycle to create this 'port' But by the time it would be done, it would be a 'remake' of RE5, and not a port, becuase of the massive ammounts of money/investment in it. 

The thing is, it has been a year and seven months since any RE5 "gameplay" footage was shown, and that was from 2005.

If Lair showed us anything, it's that you can't rely on year-old media as an example of what the final game will look like. Hell, RedSteel proved THAT in 6 months.

A year and seven months is an AWFUL long time for a game to go into hiding for a developer like Capcom, espeically when the Capcom show just happened and we got NOTHING about RE5.

At this point, nothing is set in stone. To say that they'd be remaking it is jumping to conclusions since we don't know that they've MADE it in the first place.