By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RE: Umbrella Chronicles Hands-on

windbane said:
Deegan said:
windbane said:

"The game is running in 480p and 16:9 widescreen at a fluidity of 30 frames per second." What is it about the Wii and running only at 30fps? (note: this comment is directed at shams, heh).

Anyway, I look forward to the story elements of this game. I guess I'm a freak because I like the story of resident evil? Also, returning to the mansion will be a lot of fun because that and 2 are where the story was at it's best imo. Will be refreshing to finish the game in 1 day (they said 15 to 20 hours right ;)

This game looks nice but I still don't think RE5 will be on the Wii. It would most likely have to be completely redone.

Why? They did it with RE4 for PS2 before, and they downgraded the graphic too. They will do it again if it can make money. GC has the most completed RE series (RE0 to RE4). Now Wii is backward compatible, and it is the most popular console right now. People can play the whole series (RE0 - RE5) on one console. Was that the reason why Mikami make RE4 for GC? And some people prefer solid control to prettier graphic (Godfaher). There's really no reason Capcom won't do it. I bet they'll announce RE5 for Wii, sooner or later. Keep my finger crossed.

The gamecube was only slightly more powerful than the PS2 and I'm not sure they downgraded much.  Some stuff probably looked better.  Having 9GB of space would be nice compared to 1.5GB on the gamecube as well.  Anyway, the difference between PS3/360 and the Wii is a lot more than PS2 and Gamecube.  You can keep your fingers crossed, though.  I'll play it either way since I'll have both a PS3 and Wii.

Judging by the wording of your post you never played one of the versions of RE4.  It looks quite a lot better on gamecube.  Gamecube is considerably more powerful than ps2, but GC never got pushed to the limit like PS2 did.  The disc space wasn't the issue, it was the extra 9 months of development time. 

Capcom just wanted some of the same people that bought the GC version to also buy the PS2 version because of the extra content.  It worked, I know people who bought it twice. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

Just saw the video - was really impressed. The detail in that environment is fantastic, no wonder it runs at 30fps - it basically looks as good as a 360/PS3 game could (in places - I don't want to start a flame war over that comment ;). In other words, an order of magnitude over that the GC could do.

Anyway, Im definitely sold on the game now. Was waiting for something like this since the Wii launched - and its even more impressive because its a mature title. I can see myself replaying this over and over again, trying to find all the secrets (etc). They could do some awesome additions, like "secret" areas that only open when you collect/shoot things in time (advantage over a non-rails game). Being able to "look around" as well as aim is awesome (something light-gun games can't easily do).

Also impressed to see it has been in development for over a year - and with 40 people working on it(!). If this comes out with some multiplayer support (at least in some modes?) it may well be a smash hit, and revolutionise the RE genre. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

diamuerto said:

Think House of the Dead, in my opinion better.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/780/780373p1.html

i've never played a on-rails game before. are they fun? is there re-play value? since its on-rails are they more challenging or does that even make a difference?

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary

Blex said:
diamuerto said:

i've never played a on-rails game before. are they fun? is there re-play value? since its on-rails are they more challenging or does that even make a difference?

Trust me, it's still VERY challenging. Before seeing a movie, me and my friends always play a round or two of Time Crisis 4. You're shooting at bad guys all around, ducking and reloading at the right times...it gets intense. I can understand why some people think this isn't a full-fledged RE game...but I think this will be fun.

Think about it, you could use an analog stick to run forward, and then shoot zombies as they come at you, but if the walking is automatic, you're focusing just on shooting, which makes it intense, and it can definitely be difficult...I've poured many quarters into arcade machines, trying to get to the end.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Blex said:
diamuerto said:

Trust me, it's still VERY challenging. Before seeing a movie, me and my friends always play a round or two of Time Crisis 4. You're shooting at bad guys all around, ducking and reloading at the right times...it gets intense. I can understand why some people think this isn't a full-fledged RE game...but I think this will be fun.

Think about it, you could use an analog stick to run forward, and then shoot zombies as they come at you, but if the walking is automatic, you're focusing just on shooting, which makes it intense, and it can definitely be difficult...I've poured many quarters into arcade machines, trying to get to the end.

i hope RE:UC is very challenging, more so than RE4...not to say i didnt die multiple times.

i see what you mean and im hoping capcom does a good job, but i have tons of faith in them.

what if that wii-gun from E3 was used for it? do you know how imersive that would be?

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary

Around the Network

I sure hope they make a gun attachment like that.  It'd make the experience much more enjoyable and immersive.  Capcom works wonders...this game might not end up being the ultimate RE experience, but I'm expecting an excellent, fun game, definitely worth the money. 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Blex said:
diamuerto said:

You really never played on-rails, what about Starfox for N64. It's mostly on-rails, it's really fun and a bit re-play value there too.

The big difference in Umbrella is that you can still LOOK AROUND, while being guided on rails. This makes a huge difference, as it adds a real "exploration" element to the game - and you can still be attacked from behind, etc (if you didn't properly clear the zombies behind you, etc..).

Now if they could only make it, so that you can revisit rooms any number of times (i.e. have lots of choices where you want to go next, not just a few...).

This is sort of how Killer7 played, right? 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

If graphics dont matter that means the PS2 version is better because it has more content. Why are Wii gamers saying Graphics matter? Oh wait, it's ok to say GameCube graphics > PS2. But PS3 graphics > Wii = not imporant.

Sorry. Couldnt help but point this out.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:

If graphics dont matter that means the PS2 version is better because it has more content. Why are Wii gamers saying Graphics matter? Oh wait, it's ok to say GameCube graphics > PS2. But PS3 graphics > Wii = not imporant.

Sorry. Couldnt help but point this out.

Well since everyone is always trashing nintendo users about graphics, this is one they say they can do superior. Also gamecube had the original graphics so that's the comparison there. PS3 graphics > Wii= not important because that's a given and everyone already knows PS3 owns Wii in terms of graphics. Gamecube could put out better visuals than ps2, but they were closer than ps3 and wii.

Nice find though.