By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Remake Starfox, not Starfox 64

ssj12 said:

SF64 is a sequel not a remake. It borrowed a lot of elements that was supposed to be in StarFox 2 on the NES.

In the first game you play as Fox McCloud's father.

Same intro... same stages... same characters... same bosses... REMAKE.

Like Evil Dead 2 is a remake from Evil Dead... not a new movie.

Around the Network
Hephaestos said:

no remakes... especially for this type of game....

I mean an FF where the story and events are what make the game, sure... but a shooter....

star fox isnt a shooter... its an aerial combat game.....

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Hephaestos said:

I mean an FF where the story and events are what make the game, sure... but a shooter....

that's beyong the point... this game is based on the gameplay, not the story so making a new one is rather easy.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

ethomaz said:
ssj12 said:

SF64 is a sequel not a remake. It borrowed a lot of elements that was supposed to be in StarFox 2 on the NES.

wrong. wrong. wrong. wrong. wrong.

Its a spin-off which counts as a sequel. They take elements of the original story and retold them in a different way. The game also features many NEW BOSSES not seen in the original game, plus a few homages like the secret path boss in the first level. Andross is still different, all new features were taken from StarFox 2 like all-range mode, multiplayer and everything else.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

ethomaz said:
ssj12 said:

Not to totally explode this thread but...does that make Other M a remake of Super Metroid?

Just playing devils advocate.  I do think Star Fox 64 takes pretty much everything from the original game, but its not exactly a remake.  Its more like a upgraded sequel with new gameplay.  Just lke Ocarina is NOT a remake of Link to the Past.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
Hephaestos said:
ssj12 said:
Hephaestos said:

that's beyong the point... this game is based on the gameplay, not the story so making a new one is rather easy.

the story in StarFox and StarFox 64 was very well done and spoken for using the gameplay...

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
ethomaz said:
ssj12 said:

Not to totally explode this thread but...does that make Other M a remake of Super Metroid?

Just playing devils advocate.  I do think Star Fox 64 takes pretty much everything from the original game, but its not exactly a remake.  Its more like a upgraded sequel with new gameplay.  Just lke Ocarina is NOT a remake of Link to the Past.

Metroid Other M take place between Super and Fusion = NO REMAKE.
Zelda: Ocarina of Time take place before the first four Zeldas = NO REMAKE.
StarFox 64 take same place... same history = REMAKE.

Sequel is always a different story (related or not)... remake remains the same.

My first example...

Evil Dead = Original
Evil Dead 2 = Remake (same history... so different film)
Evil Dead 3 = Sequel (continues the story of Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2)

ssj12 said:
d21lewis said:

A while ago, I read that Nintendo WAS planning a remake of Starfox!  They call it Starfox 64.  

Anyhoo, I was one of those kids that had Starfox back in 1993.  I marveled at the power of the Super FX chip.  I laughed in the face of my Genesis owning neighbor.  Eventually, I grew the F up.  Nostalgia, plain and simple.  The original Starfox was "fly from point a to point b while shooting some poolygons with yourcrappy power up.  SF 64 improved EVERYTHING (except the music).  Star Wolf, Peppy analyzing the enemies, all range mode, the awesome Blue Marine and Land Master, the Independence Day inspired battle, chasing that train, multiple ways of taking down bosses, a story--what did Starfox offer?  A fight inside a space-washing machine?  Flat environments?

No, SF 64 is the right choice.

No.  Yeah, it took some things from the unreleased Snes sequel but it's not the sequel.  For the record, Twin Snakes took a lot of elements from MGS2 but it's not a sequel.  Resident Evil changed a lot of things inthe Gamecube version that wasn't in the PS1 version.  It's not a sequel, either.

And no.  You never played a James McCloud in the SNES game.

ssj12 said:
Hephaestos said:

Aerial combat games are generally 3rd person shooters unless you are in cockpit mode which makes them FPS =P

dahuman said:
ssj12 said:
Hephaestos said:

Aerial combat games are generally 3rd person shooters unless you are in cockpit mode which makes them FPS =P

Actually, flight combat games are a different genre than regular shooter games. Putting in Star Fox 64 and Call of Duty: Black Ops into the same genre is ... well I'm sure you understand it. Are you just being fecetious? >_>