By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did you buy any single player games because of the PSN outage?

Akvod said:
steveht said:

hahaha, akvod i also bought fallout 3 because of the outage.

but i have to say that you really didnt play fallout 3 to the fullest. you should really play it another time but this time ignore the main story line and go to explore more often. there are tons of things to do like,exploring the vaults(i think there are more than 8 and each is unique)collecting weapons scematics and finding all the special weapons,and also there are lots of bandit camps (did you go to evergreen mills?) also in fallout 3 the sneaking is just as good in oblivion and even better but you have to create a sneaking only character to do well. oh and dont forget about the DLC'S i am going to get broken steel and point look out once the service is online.

fallout 3 is a better oblivion with more things to do,interesting setting and GUNS.

Meh, but the thing is that so much of the game feels a bit repetitive and... useless.

For example, so many of the perks are just usless. Bloody mess is useless, I don't need the caps from selling fingers/ears, etc. The dungeons, like Oblivion, get old. They all look the same. However, whereas Oblivion had bigger and more spacious dungeons, which allowed for more unique stealthing, Fallout 3's dungeons just had the same tunnels and hallways.

The combat itself isn't really that fun. My strategy really just consists of kiting with long range weapons, then hiding behind cover, and switching to my combat shotgun to VATs the enemy in the head.

Exploring is extremely tedious with the lack of a mount. If there was a faster way of getting through miles of empty wasteland, then I would be more inclined to explore.

The game was awesome when it was fresh, but by the end of it, it doesn't have the replay value (literallly too, with the ending) Oblivion had.

well if that is you opinion then i have to respect it my friend. but it seems that you didnt play the game like it is supposed to be played.

1. the perks are very usefull,bloody mess gives you a 5% damage to all weapons and you get to kill them in  very gory ways. also the law bringer perk that lets you collect fingres not only gives you caps but also karma. and the others are very usefull some gives you a way to handle ladies while others give you a state boost.

2.by "dungeons" do you mean sub_way tunnels? because they are not the only dungeons you can explore,like i told you there are other vaults and enemy strong holds you can take on,and the stealth is just fine you just need more practice thats all.

3.well you can't blame the game for your own mistakes can you? what i usually do is go rambo on their asses with my minigun or burning their asses with my flamer and if i am board i pull out my brass knuckles and go give some raiders and mutents some man handling,and nothing beats turning you oponent to goo using the plasma rifle,and if that was boaring i usually pull out the fatman or the gun that makes people my slaves.

4.the exploring in fallout 3 is extremly rewarding and you can ask anyone who played the game.

5. this point i agree with you,they should have patched the game to allow further questing but thats not a problem since the broken steel DLC allows that and lifts the level cap and gives you more perks and weapons. also you can replay that game as a bad,good,or neutral guy.

in the end i suggest you give that game more if your time and if you dont want to then that is your opinion and i respect it.

Around the Network

Simply because of the outage?  No.  I bought Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat, but I play a wide variety of games, so simply having a psn outage isn't the end of the world for me.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I bought Yakuza 4 and Mortal Kombat last week. Not because of the outage but a promo in Best Buy Mx.

I was on vacation in the last weeks so I didn't feel the outage (I was informed of this, though) and now that I'm back I want the psn to come back now! I am doing really well without online BUT free online was one of the reasons I got a ps3 :/

Try my new level at LittleBigPlanet: Amok's Cave ;D

Get your Portable ID!

Currently playing 
PS3: Uncharted 3, Resistance 3.
Wii: - 

Hyped for: The Last Guardian, Binary Domain.

I bought Resonance of Fate...game is confusing as hell at first but it picks up quickly

"I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz."

osamanobama said:

so this thread is bringing up some bad memories, huh.

yeah, I really wish I didn't get Crisis Core =/

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Around the Network

Just bought Bayonetta and Vanquish and i am loving them both.  Might pick up Resonance of fate tomorrow.  :)

steveht said:
Akvod said:
steveht said:

hahaha, akvod i also bought fallout 3 because of the outage.

but i have to say that you really didnt play fallout 3 to the fullest. you should really play it another time but this time ignore the main story line and go to explore more often. there are tons of things to do like,exploring the vaults(i think there are more than 8 and each is unique)collecting weapons scematics and finding all the special weapons,and also there are lots of bandit camps (did you go to evergreen mills?) also in fallout 3 the sneaking is just as good in oblivion and even better but you have to create a sneaking only character to do well. oh and dont forget about the DLC'S i am going to get broken steel and point look out once the service is online.

fallout 3 is a better oblivion with more things to do,interesting setting and GUNS.

Meh, but the thing is that so much of the game feels a bit repetitive and... useless.

For example, so many of the perks are just usless. Bloody mess is useless, I don't need the caps from selling fingers/ears, etc. The dungeons, like Oblivion, get old. They all look the same. However, whereas Oblivion had bigger and more spacious dungeons, which allowed for more unique stealthing, Fallout 3's dungeons just had the same tunnels and hallways.

The combat itself isn't really that fun. My strategy really just consists of kiting with long range weapons, then hiding behind cover, and switching to my combat shotgun to VATs the enemy in the head.

Exploring is extremely tedious with the lack of a mount. If there was a faster way of getting through miles of empty wasteland, then I would be more inclined to explore.

The game was awesome when it was fresh, but by the end of it, it doesn't have the replay value (literallly too, with the ending) Oblivion had.

well if that is you opinion then i have to respect it my friend. but it seems that you didnt play the game like it is supposed to be played.

1. the perks are very usefull,bloody mess gives you a 5% damage to all weapons and you get to kill them in  very gory ways. also the law bringer perk that lets you collect fingres not only gives you caps but also karma. and the others are very usefull some gives you a way to handle ladies while others give you a state boost.

5% damage increase, isn't that great when you're either doing sneak attacks to the head, or using the shotgun at close range. Gory deaths all the time will actually ruins the gory deaths, since you get it all the time. It doesn't become special anymore. I don't know if there's a max karma, but there's only good/neutral/bad. I don't really see the benefit in getting additional karma. I got Child at Heart and Lady Killer. Child at Heart was somewhat useful, Lady Killer didn't give me anything so far.

2.by "dungeons" do you mean sub_way tunnels? because they are not the only dungeons you can explore,like i told you there are other vaults and enemy strong holds you can take on,and the stealth is just fine you just need more practice thats all.

Subway tunnels have some wide areas (at the train stops), but all of the dungeons are just hallways/tunnels. You really only have caves, vaults, and buildings in the game. At least  the caves in Oblivion were really large and more complex than Fallout's. The stealth in this game is easier than Oblivion's. It's ridiculous how the enemy doesn't hear you shoot non-silenced rifles. There's no need for any practice as soon as you get the Silent Running perk.

3.well you can't blame the game for your own mistakes can you? what i usually do is go rambo on their asses with my minigun or burning their asses with my flamer and if i am board i pull out my brass knuckles and go give some raiders and mutents some man handling,and nothing beats turning you oponent to goo using the plasma rifle,and if that was boaring i usually pull out the fatman or the gun that makes people my slaves.

Mistake? What mistake? I said that the combat in the game was easy.

4.the exploring in fallout 3 is extremly rewarding and you can ask anyone who played the game.

Not as rewarding as Oblivion. Whereas in Fallout you really just going from location to location, in Oblivion you can pretty much just stop and start walking around and look at the sights from a cliff or waterfall. It's a lot more "alive". While I understand that Fallout is set in a post apocalyptic world, more small settlements would have been nice.

5. this point i agree with you,they should have patched the game to allow further questing but thats not a problem since the broken steel DLC allows that and lifts the level cap and gives you more perks and weapons. also you can replay that game as a bad,good,or neutral guy.

I don't want to buy the DLC.

in the end i suggest you give that game more if your time and if you dont want to then that is your opinion and i respect it.

I will, but whereas I got tired with Oblivion after dozzens of hours, Fallout felt repetitive by the time I finished the game.

The only game that I've bought since the PSN went down was Mortal Kombat. Not really single player, technically, but I picked that up. Although having the PSN down doesn't really affect me very much since I rarely play online anyway. 

no, but I have been playing games I haven't beaten and trophy hunting

playing:  Darksiders, Bayonetta, At Tonelico III, and Resonance of Fate

trophy hunting in: God of War III(platted) Mass Effect 2(platted) Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands(Platted) Dead space(one trophy away from plat) Prince of Persia, Dead Space 2

might buy either Star War: The Forced Unleashed II or the Prince of Persia collection set

No I didn't, but I've been playing only single player games on my PS3 anyway. I haven't really had a multiplayer game on my PS3 since KZ2 or BlazBlue.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.