By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Nintendo wants to be like Hollywood why....

amp316 said:

What Nintendo needs to do if they want to be like Hollywood is put out better trailers for their games. 

They need to hire the people that brought you the Top Gun trailer.  Now Top Gun might not have been The Godfather, but man that trailer kicked all kinds of butt.

Or Sony's people. They made Heavy Rain not look boring and pretentious.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
amp316 said:

What Nintendo needs to do if they want to be like Hollywood is put out better trailers for their games. 

They need to hire the people that brought you the Top Gun trailer.  Now Top Gun might not have been The Godfather, but man that trailer kicked all kinds of butt.

But Sony also did that crying baby thing that still freaks me out.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Dinomax said:

Are they so obsessed with ""surprising"" us with ""new things"" when Hollywood doesn't even bother to do this?

If you haven't noticed, the majority of releases in the cinema have being remakes, sequels or very late sequels to older movies, even remaking comic books, pop culture, cartoons, books, TV shows, into movies which has being done since the silver age of cinema.  3D movies has being around so long since the 1950's.

The highest grossing movie Avatar (well gone with the wind can be argued also), really doesn't do anything new which it gets compared to movies like Dances with Wolves.  Hollywood obviously gives what its audience what it wants, familiarity.  Which is why we always see usually the same actors in a lot of films and  films that still stick to the oldest formulas of protagonist, antagonist, love interest formula not only bankroll but go on to win Oscars.

Why doesn't Nintendo learn from Hollywood and give people what there familiar with in video games or there franchises?  Instead of trying to ""surprise"" us and just make games we are willing to pay for?  Isnt it there job to sell as many videogames as physically possible instead of ""surprising"" us? 

Sure it does, it removes the "boring" from Dances With Wolves. =) That movie was as dull as C-SPAN in the afternoon. =)

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

wow...this thread...just wow

LordTheNightKnight said:
amp316 said:

Wow. You better watch out, you better not cry, you better run away and I'm telling you why, CGI is coming to town. 

OT: I want to add more to my original post. Hollywood produces plenty of new ideas, they also take old ideas and put new twists on them and they usually work out really well. The Dark Knight and Batman Returns are both Batman movies, but they are completely different movie experiences. No industry output as creative or continously evolving as video games or movies can remain the same, new ideas have to be constantly brought it and worked on, otherwise people will get bored.

If Nintendo just sticks to all their old ideas, then they are going to lose their appeal. Nintendo pandered to the casual market this generation, they now have a strong casual userbase and they can now work on that audience, but they now have to try and attract the other large userbase and to do that, they're going to have to introduce new and different ideas.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
TheWon said:

People if a thread says 1 of these following things then it's a Malstrom inspired thread.

Nintendo not giving the audience what they want.

3D will never be accepted by the mainstream.

Arcade value games

So please avoid the thread because all it's going to be is why don't Nintendo take Malstrom's advice. 

Is there not a thread already made for his writings on here anyway?

Yes there are. Several of them.

Doobie_wop said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
amp316 said:

Wow. You better watch out, you better not cry, you better run away and I'm telling you why, CGI is coming to town. 

OT: I want to add more to my original post. Hollywood produces plenty of new ideas, they also take old ideas and put new twists on them and they usually work out really well. The Dark Knight and Batman Returns are both Batman movies, but they are completely different movie experiences. No industry output as creative or continously evolving as video games or movies can remain the same, new ideas have to be constantly brought it and worked on, otherwise people will get bored.

If Nintendo just sticks to all their old ideas, then they are going to lose their appeal. Nintendo pandered to the casual market this generation, they now have a strong casual userbase and they can now work on that audience, but they now have to try and attract the other large userbase and to do that, they're going to have to introduce new and different ideas.

The other side doesn't seem to crave originality that much either. Make a nice, brown/grey macho FPS/TPS and maybe a solid racing sim or two and you'll have as much of that market as you can have with everyone else doing that as well...

Which is merely to say that no segment of the market seems to value fundamentally new ideas. B/G FPSes would be a new idea to Nintendo, but not to the industry at large, which seems to be in a race to copy each other all over the place, much like the film industry

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Doobie_wop said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
amp316 said:

The other side doesn't seem to crave originality that much either. Make a nice, brown/grey macho FPS/TPS and maybe a solid racing sim or two and you'll have as much of that market as you can have with everyone else doing that as well...

Which is merely to say that no segment of the market seems to value fundamentally new ideas. B/G FPSes would be a new idea to Nintendo, but not to the industry at large, which seems to be in a race to copy each other all over the place, much like the film industry

Your wrong and your also greatly generalising the other market. If Call of Duty came out and played like Halo, do you think it would have been as big as it is? The same thing applies to Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, Fallout and so many other games. They aren't popular because they are brown and samey, they are popular because they all have a distinct differentation between each other.

Anyone that says COD is like Halo is ignorant, anyone that says Uncharted is like Gears is ignorant, anyone that says that Assasins Creed is like Red Dead Redemption is ignorant. If Nintendo came out and released a gritty Metroid TPS, it isn't going to suddenly sell five million units for just that reason and Nintendo know that and the reason why they haven't tried is because they know that their skills don't cover those bases.

Nintendo aren't going to capture that market by just releasing a brown/macho FPS or TPS, because that market is smarter than that, they have differentiating tastes and they've shown that they have variety and that's the reason why games like Fallout, Dragon Age, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Assassins Creed, Oblivion, Little Big Planet, Fable, Red Dead, Saints Row and so many other games can sell in the millions and none of them are bland, brown and samey.

You come off as an ignorant Nintendo fan, in a year which has seen games like LBP2, Dead Space 2, Two Worlds 2, DC Universe Online, Bulletstorm, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Yakuza 4, Ar Tonelico, Portal 2, Mortal Kombat and heaps of great PSN/Live games, I can't see how you can say that we live in an industry that has every developer copying each other, when every single year we have such a huge amount of vaqriety in titles coming out.

Just because COD is the best selling franchise on the HD consoles, it doesn't mean those systems and the developers attatched to those systems are forced to buy or make brown military First Person or Third Person shooters.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Mr Khan said:

I was gonna say that the day Nintendo makes a colorless/expressionless space marine is the day I retire from gaming, but then I remembered this:

Now I just don't know what to say...

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Doobie_wop said:
Mr Khan said:

Your wrong and your also greatly generalising the other market. If Call of Duty came out and played like Halo, do you think it would have been as big as it is? The same thing applies to Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, Fallout and so many other games. They aren't popular because they are brown and samey, they are popular because they all have a distinct differentation between each other.

Anyone that says COD is like Halo is ignorant, anyone that says Uncharted is like Gears is ignorant, anyone that says that Assasins Creed is like Red Dead Redemption is ignorant. If Nintendo came out and released a gritty Metroid TPS, it isn't going to suddenly sell five million units for just that reason and Nintendo know that and the reason why they haven't tried is because they know that their skills don't cover those bases.

Nintendo aren't going to capture that market by just releasing a brown/macho FPS or TPS, because that market is smarter than that, they have differentiating tastes and they've shown that they have variety and that's the reason why games like Fallout, Dragon Age, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Assassins Creed, Oblivion, Little Big Planet, Fable, Red Dead, Saints Row and so many other games can sell in the millions and none of them are bland, brown and samey.

You come off as an ignorant Nintendo fan, in a year which has seen games like LBP2, Dead Space 2, Two Worlds 2, DC Universe Online, Bulletstorm, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Yakuza 4, Ar Tonelico, Portal 2, Mortal Kombat and heaps of great PSN/Live games, I can't see how you can say that we live in an industry that has every developer copying each other, when every single year we have such a huge amount of vaqriety in titles coming out.

Just because COD is the best selling franchise on the HD consoles, it doesn't mean those systems and the developers attatched to those systems are forced to buy or make brown military First Person or Third Person shooters.

What i see is movement inward, not outward. Certainly all of these games start with vastly different approaches to things, and differ greatly in their core mechanics and story, but as far as the action/FPS/TPS ones go, you see from original-to-sequel transitions that most of them try copying industry standards: a greater shift towards online multiplayer focus became apparent in many of the sequels to the big action games

Portal 2 gets credit, but then Valve's success comes from their ability to generally escape the trends (though them signalling that they may no longer make single-player only games may show signs that they too are succumbing), and the others that aren't samey shooting games or over-the-top violent (like Mortal Kombat), aren't mainstays for their platform. They exist, to be certain, much like how Call of Duty also exists on Wii, but in the big picture its generally not significant on those platforms if it doesn't involve fragging others online, and the brown shooteyness leeches over into the realm of RPGs as well, and you end up with Fallout 3 and Mass Effect, which, while excellent games in their genre (though a genre that holds no appeal at all to me) show that the groupthink is more pervasive than that

Diversity exists, but at the end of the day, is it really appreciated?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.