Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Malstrom Discussion Thread

Aiddon said:
Mr Khan said:

Again all the judging about Mario 3DS when we know shit-all about it.

This is the internet where fair, equally weighted arguments don't exist because there is absolutely nothing forcinga person to do so

(Near) ultimate freedom corrupts...

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

This is why he occasionally states a lot of his analysis is deduction based on things he does know. If the game turns out to be something with more mass appeal (since the facts are that the 3D games are not killer apps), then he will gladly admit his analysis before was wrong.

As for whoever brought up that Nintendo will be the first to stream to a controller, not only is that also speculation, that doesn't mean it will attract the mainstream to the system. They want good games, not mediocre games that have gimmicks and/or just please reviewers (and before you bring up sales and reviews on other systems, correlation=/=causation, and a lot of those games don't have legs).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

(Near) ultimate freedom corrupts...

Exactly; if he were doing this for a job or even just a school assignment he'd probably have someone reprimanding him for faulty writing

LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Khan said:

This is why he occasionally states a lot of his analysis is deduction based on things he does know. If the game turns out to be something with more mass appeal (since the facts are that the 3D games are not killer apps), then he will gladly admit his analysis before was wrong.

As for whoever brought up that Nintendo will be the first to stream to a controller, not only is that also speculation, that doesn't mean it will attract the mainstream to the system. They want good games, not mediocre games that have gimmicks and/or just please reviewers (and before you bring up sales and reviews on other systems, correlation=/=causation, and a lot of those games don't have legs).

I was speaking specifically about disruption, you know, the thing Malstrom was actually right about from the beginning?

puffy said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Khan said:

I was speaking specifically about disruption, you know, the thing Malstrom was actually right about from the beginning?

A new gimmick is not disruption. Just introducing something new is not disruption. Doing what the other guys should have been doing is disruption.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
puffy said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Khan said:

A new gimmick is not disruption. Just introducing something new is not disruption. Doing what the other guys should have been doing is disruption.

Doing what others should have done isn't the definition of disruption, there's never a 'right way of doing things'.. "The term is used in business and technology literature to describe innovations that improve a product or service in ways that the market does not expect, typically by lowering price or designing for a different set of consumers." 

What I'm saying is we don't know Nintendo's strategy here but it may very well be disruptive in approach. Clearly they aren't content with simply improving their motion controls for example. The fact that they seem to be proposing a new value for this new system, in the rumoured controller, points towards a possible disruptive strategy.

Again, we won't know until E3, but if you can't see that further disruption may be on Nintendo's mind based on the current rumours then you should probably actually go back and read up on what disruption actually is.

puffy said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
puffy said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Khan said:

Doing what others should have done isn't the definition of disruption, there's never a 'right way of doing things'.. "The term is used in business and technology literature to describe innovations that improve a product or service in ways that the market does not expect, typically by lowering price or designing for a different set of consumers." 

What I'm saying is we don't know Nintendo's strategy here but it may very well be disruptive in approach. Clearly they aren't content with simply improving their motion controls for example. The fact that they seem to be proposing a new value for this new system, in the rumoured controller, points towards a possible disruptive strategy.

Again, we won't know until E3, but if you can't see that further disruption may be on Nintendo's mind based on the current rumours then you should probably actually go back and read up on what disruption actually is.

"typically by lowering price or designing for a different set of consumers"

A screen that would raise prices is not disrupting. And how would this go for a different set? Since the gaming community would apparently love this kind of gimmick, it's not going after a different set.

Now that is assuming they would do something like this, but you seem to be championing it as something disruptive, based on it being new, not that it meets the disruptive criteria.

And doing what the others should be doing is also disrutptive, because things that drive away customers are grounds for disruption by those seeking those customers.

UncleScrooge said:

(I never owned a C64 btw)

Dear Mother almighty of God that I didn't even know about the existence of C64 back then!

On topic, when an analist or writer begins his/her sentence with "I believe...", take it with a grain of salt, people.

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
TripleMMM said:

Dear Mother almighty of God that I didn't even know about the existence of C64 back then!

On topic, when an analist or writer begins his/her sentence with "I believe...", take it with a grain of salt, people.

Which sentence starts with that? You need to provide links and quotes.

LordTheNightKnight said:
TripleMMM said:

Which sentence starts with that? You need to provide links and quotes.

Forgive my premature speech, I was merely spit-balling here.  But what I said meant to every analist, etc (I have no idea why, but Patcher comes first to mind). I know this a thread specifically Malstrom. Now, if he has never began with those words, I'll give him props for that. I rarely read his blog, but I do actually agree with what he says about the consumer headbutting the 3DS.

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!