By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Malstrom Discussion Thread

Malstrom has being real salty lately.

Who can blame him, Nintendo are messing up.

Around the Network

In speaking about Malstrom we must remember that he isn't all knowing, he too is biased towards the games he grew up playing.

The remarks he has made with regard to project cafe failing in particular makes me question him. He seems to have lost track of what he himself was championing with Wii which is disruption. From what Iwata has been saying about project cafe, it will be a new way of playing games at home. There is no other streaming device like what cafe is rumoured to be on the market. Depending on the eventuality of the system and its features it could certainly be a disruptive systems and the reason we won't be seeing just a Wii 2.

Malstrom isn't interested in this though, he's more interested in complaining that Nintendo are working on a new 3D Mario title...

I'll do the usual thing and use this thread to rant about every bit of (in my eyes) wrong information in Malstroms posts.

Here is my latest gripe: Malstrom says for its time the NES was behind in tech (he even compares it to the Wii situation) and that's just...wrong.

The most common thing you'd find in a gamer's home in 1985 was a C64. Tech wise the NES was vastly superior to the C64 - which was released in 1982. The Famicom was released just one year later and pretty much wiped the floor with the C64 graphics wise. Sure it wasn't a juggernaut compared to what you could get at that time. But saying "computers were going 16-bit!" is a bit like saying the Playstation 3 is outdated today because "computers are going 8-core!"... basically no one owns a 8-core CPU computer right now. It's the nature of consoles to get "outdated" after some years. That's how this business works. Oh and the NES had no loading times. Has anyone ever fired up a game on the C64? You had to wait up to 10 (ten!) minutes for some games to start up because some games were released on cassettes (hope that's the correct noun lol ).

The NES wasn't any more outdated than the PS2 was after some years. That never stopped consoles from selling well.

Also, calling Mario Kart a "Gamecube era" game ist just stupid. The series started on the SNES and has never really changed since then. It only changed on the Cube once but that approach was ditched with Mario Kart DS and Wii. So what is he talking about? The same goes for Animal Crossing which saw extreme sales growth with each iteration - it only declined with the Wii, for obvious reasons.

puffy said:

In speaking about Malstrom we must remember that he isn't all knowing, he too is biased towards the games he grew up playing.

The remarks he has made with regard to project cafe failing in particular makes me question him. He seems to have lost track of what he himself was championing with Wii which is disruption. From what Iwata has been saying about project cafe, it will be a new way of playing games at home. There is no other streaming device like what cafe is rumoured to be on the market. Depending on the eventuality of the system and its features it could certainly be a disruptive systems and the reason we won't be seeing just a Wii 2.

Malstrom isn't interested in this though, he's more interested in complaining that Nintendo are working on a new 3D Mario title...

I agree with this. We should take the "wait and see" route here.

Just as a remainder at one point I was arguing that the 3DS wouldn't disrupt 3D movies while others argued it would do just that based on Malstrom's posts!

Just to show you how horrid cassettes were on the C64 here is a video for you. Make sure the volume of your speakers is turned down.

(I never owned a C64 btw)

Around the Network

His new article about Miyamoto is great....I like these parts:

I want to know why this guy (Miyamoto) is allowed to not only be selfish but to prevent products from being made that would sell Nintendo’s hardware. The numero uno example is the suspension of 2d Mario for nearly two decades. That would be bad enough, but he is given resources to undergo some personal vendetta to make all those 2d Mario customers buy 3d Mario. 

While we do not know the details of what goes on inside Nintendo, we do know this for sure: Mario and Zelda franchises are controlled entirely by Miyamoto. No mainline Mario or Zelda game gets made without his approval. So why did 18 years go by before another Super Mario Brothers game was made? Because the guy is a jerk. Why is a brand new 3d Mario, which has never been made before on handheld, the priority instead of the 20 million seller plus of 2d Mario? Why is the Tanooki Suit, which fans have been wanting back, only going back in this handheld 3d Mario? The answer is that the guy is a jerk. Still don’t believe me? He knows there is great interest in a more old school type Zelda, something similar to Link to the Past. His response? “How about making Link to the Past with 3d output?” That is a jerk response.

The handheld line did not suffer decline… until Miyamoto got involved with the 3DS. Who is largely responsible for the handheld line? That would be Gunpei Yokoi. He invented the D-Pad. He made the Gameboy. He over saw many Nintendo games including the Gameboy Mario games and Metroid I, II, and III. Yokoi was also very pivotal in Nintendo transforming into a toy business.

So he was fired (or let go) after making the Virtual Boy. I don’t know what went on there. Nintendo is not giving any details. But I do know this. Yokoi was treated like a man and not as a god. Gods don’t get fired.

So why does Miyamoto get treated by entirely different standards, from both inside Nintendo and from fans like yourself, than from people who have done much for the company like Yokoi?

Again all the judging about Mario 3DS when we know shit-all about it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

JGarret said:

His new article about Miyamoto is great....I like these parts:

I want to know why this guy (Miyamoto) is allowed to not only be selfish but to prevent products from being made that would sell Nintendo’s hardware. The numero uno example is the suspension of 2d Mario for nearly two decades. That would be bad enough, but he is given resources to undergo some personal vendetta to make all those 2d Mario customers buy 3d Mario. 

While we do not know the details of what goes on inside Nintendo, we do know this for sure: Mario and Zelda franchises are controlled entirely by Miyamoto. No mainline Mario or Zelda game gets made without his approval. So why did 18 years go by before another Super Mario Brothers game was made? Because the guy is a jerk. Why is a brand new 3d Mario, which has never been made before on handheld, the priority instead of the 20 million seller plus of 2d Mario? Why is the Tanooki Suit, which fans have been wanting back, only going back in this handheld 3d Mario? The answer is that the guy is a jerk. Still don’t believe me? He knows there is great interest in a more old school type Zelda, something similar to Link to the Past. His response? “How about making Link to the Past with 3d output?” That is a jerk response.

The handheld line did not suffer decline… until Miyamoto got involved with the 3DS. Who is largely responsible for the handheld line? That would be Gunpei Yokoi. He invented the D-Pad. He made the Gameboy. He over saw many Nintendo games including the Gameboy Mario games and Metroid I, II, and III. Yokoi was also very pivotal in Nintendo transforming into a toy business.

So he was fired (or let go) after making the Virtual Boy. I don’t know what went on there. Nintendo is not giving any details. But I do know this. Yokoi was treated like a man and not as a god. Gods don’t get fired.

So why does Miyamoto get treated by entirely different standards, from both inside Nintendo and from fans like yourself, than from people who have done much for the company like Yokoi?

Boy, reading that... i would have to say that Malstrom has to much time on his hands. Parts of that read like a conspiracy blog.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Mr Khan said:

Again all the judging about Mario 3DS when we know shit-all about it.

This is the internet where fair, equally weighted arguments don't exist because there is absolutely nothing forcinga person to do so

All hail Malstrom! The all-knowing writer!