By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SoE hacked and is out for the count

fordy said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4033975

As I said in the other thread, this wasn't a second attack.  This was part of the first attack, only it wasn't until yesterday that SOE had become aware that they had also been hit.

Also, I'm not sure why people are giving Sony so much shit over this.  The attack was so severe the FBI and Homeland Security have gotten involved.  You're going to stop buying their products because some really damn good hackers decided Sony was their next target? 

There was no second attack. Makingmusic was really ignored in here. Reasonable post always being ignored. It's really a shame.

Proof please, that these hackers were "damn good". All they had to do was read the forums discussing Apache bugfixes, and then look for servers still running the old version (before the exploit was found). It was so simple, even my 5 year old nephew could do that.

Edit: Wait, so both attacks are amalgamated. Attack risen to 90 million usernames, people!

Why not qoute the one who said it. I am just reposting what he posted.

Around the Network

You can tell a situation is bad when people feel the need to register to make illogical arguements to protect their company of choice.

"But other companies might be as negligent but just luckier to not be hacked!"

Hm....

"But other people shoplift and they don't get caught."

"But other people leave their keys in the car, and their cars don't get stolen"

Yeah.. still sounds stupid.

NoCtiS_NoX said:
fordy said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4033975

As I said in the other thread, this wasn't a second attack.  This was part of the first attack, only it wasn't until yesterday that SOE had become aware that they had also been hit.

Also, I'm not sure why people are giving Sony so much shit over this.  The attack was so severe the FBI and Homeland Security have gotten involved.  You're going to stop buying their products because some really damn good hackers decided Sony was their next target? 

There was no second attack. Makingmusic was really ignored in here. Reasonable post always being ignored. It's really a shame.

Proof please, that these hackers were "damn good". All they had to do was read the forums discussing Apache bugfixes, and then look for servers still running the old version (before the exploit was found). It was so simple, even my 5 year old nephew could do that.

Edit: Wait, so both attacks are amalgamated. Attack risen to 90 million usernames, people!

Why not qoute the one who said it. I just repost what he posted.

Why not have just replied to it then. Anyways, you seem to be good at reposting, so I'll leave that task up to you :)

Kasz216 said:

You can tell a situation is bad when people feel the need to register to make illogical arguements to protect their company of choice.

"But other companies might be as negligent but just luckier to not be hacked!"

Hm....

"But other people shoplift and they don't get caught."

"But other people leave their keys in the car, and their cars don't get stolen"

Yeah.. still sounds stupid.

But Sony loves me!

At least many of these credit card numbers might have already expired.

Other than that it's just adding insult to injury for Sony.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@rath

a simple google search ( that took me a minute ) yields these :

engadget ( dot ) com/2011/03/18/rsa-hacked-data-exposed-that-could-reduce-the-effectiveness-o/

downloadsquad ( dot ) switched ( dot ) com/2011/02/11/eharmony-hacked-usernames-and-emails-stolen/

digg ( dot ) com/news/technology/Pirate_Bay_Hacked_2

and several more... this is what i mean by people buying into this propaganda... you seem to suddenly assume that all other networks are invulnerable to these kind of breaches... when its glaringly obvious that they aren't... given the time and the determination hackers can breach ANY network

If you lose private data, then you should be taken to task for it. Whether it be Sony or any other company. Just because it happened to other companies does not make it any more acceptable. Companies have to be vigilant or they will get burned. Just because the other company fell asleep at the wheel too, doesn't mean it's ok to fall asleep at the wheel.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

@Grimes

...dude when the hell did i ever say that it was acceptible or sony wasn't negligible or whatever? Because i absolutely do agree that they should have kept better check of their security systems. As i have reinterated several times before my point was only ever directed to the point made about other networks being more secure which is quite frankly nonsense... as i said given the time, resourses and motive hackers will breach any network... in general when you store your data on a network you are taking a risk and unfortunately it is only at times at these that that become apparent to people ( or doesn't )

Grimes said:

If you lose private data, then you should be taken to task for it. Whether it be Sony or any other company. Just because it happened to other companies does not make it any more acceptable. Companies have to be vigilant or they will get burned. Just because the other company fell asleep at the wheel too, doesn't mean it's ok to fall asleep at the wheel.

I agree. However, disasters should be regarded as what they are not blown into ridiculousness. Sony definitely deserves reprimand for compromising data but folks shouldn't be overdramatic. The key here is the word "compromise". We dont know for sure that the hacker stole the data just that he could have for the time period he broke in. We also dont know the hackers true intentions. He may not want anybody's info but just want sony to look incompetent for a min.

Sure sony lost data but why are some acting like there are already people posing as them/ using their CCs when they haven't seen any proof of any such activity? On other sites, people have actually being called out for posting fake pics as  proof of their accounts being violated. Why would they need to do this? Even if someone's card  misused, there has to be proof that it's PSN related.

My mum's card was used to buy some DJ equipment for $1500 in NY a few months ago. She's  never used the card on PSN...what gives? She called and got refunded along with a new card. What was her total loss? Thats right, a grand total of $0.

BTW, this reminds me of people in Cali buying KI to protect against potential radiation from Japan

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Some other networks are more secure. I'm not saying they are unbreakable, but its true that some systems are more secure than others because some companies go above and beyond to secure their systems.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.