By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SoE hacked and is out for the count

fordy said:
the_wizard_man said:
fordy said:
What about the people who don't use facebook for that very reason?

People CHOOSE to release info on facebook. Sony shouldn't have that choice for them.

So are you suggesting someone hacked Sony to get a single specific persons info thats riddicules 

No, what I am suggesting is that hackers got information from uers that they could otherwise not get from anywhere else. What right does Sony have to alow this to happen?

What right does a girl have to let someone rape her

Around the Network
Grimes said:

Some other networks are more secure. I'm not saying they are unbreakable, but its true that some systems are more secure than others because some companies go above and beyond to secure their systems.

Agreed but the point is, no system is 100% secure. Chances are that the people who work for internet security firms are also of the same caliber as the hackers themselves. What a man can build, another man can destroy. Sony should've had more security if theirs was lax but determined hackers always win. What happened with the ps3 itself again? Can anyone deny that was some solid security?

The point is, if people are so worried about their data, they should ignore the digital age and go back to living in caves. Pretty sure even the govt gets hacked. They wont tell you though.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
Grimes said:

Some other networks are more secure. I'm not saying they are unbreakable, but its true that some systems are more secure than others because some companies go above and beyond to secure their systems.

Agreed but the point is, no system is 100% secure. Chances are that the people who work for internet security firms are also of the same caliber as the hackers themselves. What a man can build, another man can destroy. Sony should've had more security if theirs was lax but determined hackers always win. What happened with the ps3 itself again? Can anyone deny that was some solid security?

The point is, if people are so worried about their data, they should ignore the digital age and go back to living in caves. Pretty sure even the govt gets hacked. They wont tell you though.

No, what they should do is hold companies accountable for securing their data while at the same time being cautious themselves.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Grimes said:

Name all the networks in the same industry as Sony that are more secure 

Grimes said:
Pristine20 said:
Grimes said:

No, what they should do is hold companies accountable for securing their data while at the same time being cautious themselves.

Remember HBgary? They're a tech security company and even they got hacked by Anonymous. I'm all for companies being accountable but folks also have to see the system for it's imperfections and stop freaking out unnecessarily. This is why credit cards refund unauthorized transactions.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
Grimes said:

If you lose private data, then you should be taken to task for it. Whether it be Sony or any other company. Just because it happened to other companies does not make it any more acceptable. Companies have to be vigilant or they will get burned. Just because the other company fell asleep at the wheel too, doesn't mean it's ok to fall asleep at the wheel.

I agree. However, disasters should be regarded as what they are not blown into ridiculousness. Sony definitely deserves reprimand for compromising data but folks shouldn't be overdramatic. The key here is the word "compromise". We dont know for sure that the hacker stole the data just that he could have for the time period he broke in. We also dont know the hackers true intentions. He may not want anybody's info but just want sony to look incompetent for a min.

Sure sony lost data but why are some acting like there are already people posing as them/ using their CCs when they haven't seen any proof of any such activity? On other sites, people have actually being called out for posting fake pics as  proof of their accounts being violated. Why would they need to do this? Even if someone's card  misused, there has to be proof that it's PSN related.

My mum's card was used to buy some DJ equipment for $1500 in NY a few months ago. She's  never used the card on PSN...what gives? She called and got refunded along with a new card. What was her total loss? Thats right, a grand total of $0.

BTW, this reminds me of people in Cali buying KI to protect against potential radiation from Japan

hopiing the hacker in any way is doing this just to make sony look incompetent is just moronic thinking and shouldn't even be brought up cause it does not matter.

the word is now OFFICIALLY out that credit card data, personal info, even bank data has been jepordized.  i dont' care if it is only 20k out of 70 million, this is going to make peopel very hesitent about registering their info again.

while psn has been free, it will still take a hit, but thsi is HUGE for SOE.  I can see a lot of people adn i mean A LOT moving to just another MMO.  and thats easy enough, tehre are a ton of MMO's and SOE mmo's are not the  best anyway.  and now for all upcoming MMO's.  Is a company going to want to work with SOE? 

@Grimes

no you absolutely have a point there im absolutely certain that there are other networks that are better protected... like the us militery's own networks that were breached recently but in this context for me that is irrelevant "given the time, resourses and motive hackers will breach any network" i may be wrong on that but im quite sure that whoever broke into psn would have done so regardless of any security procedures put into place by sony if they were determined enough... i mean if the networks funded and maintained by the mlitery can be breached where does that leave other networks... but yes we can definitely agree that they should have made it harder for the hackers who may have broke in anyway if they had the resolve to do so and that they were negligent in terms of maintainance and upkeep of the network

irstupid said:
Pristine20 said:
Grimes said:

If you lose private data, then you should be taken to task for it. Whether it be Sony or any other company. Just because it happened to other companies does not make it any more acceptable. Companies have to be vigilant or they will get burned. Just because the other company fell asleep at the wheel too, doesn't mean it's ok to fall asleep at the wheel.

I agree. However, disasters should be regarded as what they are not blown into ridiculousness. Sony definitely deserves reprimand for compromising data but folks shouldn't be overdramatic. The key here is the word "compromise". We dont know for sure that the hacker stole the data just that he could have for the time period he broke in. We also dont know the hackers true intentions. He may not want anybody's info but just want sony to look incompetent for a min.

Sure sony lost data but why are some acting like there are already people posing as them/ using their CCs when they haven't seen any proof of any such activity? On other sites, people have actually being called out for posting fake pics as  proof of their accounts being violated. Why would they need to do this? Even if someone's card  misused, there has to be proof that it's PSN related.

My mum's card was used to buy some DJ equipment for $1500 in NY a few months ago. She's  never used the card on PSN...what gives? She called and got refunded along with a new card. What was her total loss? Thats right, a grand total of $0.

BTW, this reminds me of people in Cali buying KI to protect against potential radiation from Japan

hopiing the hacker in any way is doing this just to make sony look incompetent is just moronic thinking and shouldn't even be brought up cause it does not matter.

the word is now OFFICIALLY out that credit card data, personal info, even bank data has been jepordized.  i dont' care if it is only 20k out of 70 million, this is going to make peopel very hesitent about registering their info again.

while psn has been free, it will still take a hit, but thsi is HUGE for SOE.  I can see a lot of people adn i mean A LOT moving to just another MMO.  and thats easy enough, tehre are a ton of MMO's and SOE mmo's are not the  best anyway.  and now for all upcoming MMO's.  Is a company going to want to work with SOE? 

By "jeopardized' do you mean that said 20k people have had fradulent activity on their accounts in relation to the PSN breach? I would like to see the link to where you got said info because I follow a couple of gaming sites and never read any such thing.

Of course PSN will take a hit. After all, there are people who belive their govt should be doing more to protect them from radiation from Japan.

Pristine20 said:
irstupid said:
Pristine20 said:
Grimes said:

By "jeopardized' do you mean that said 20k people have had fradulent activity on their accounts in relation to the PSN breach? I would like to see the link to where you got said info because I follow a couple of gaming sites and never read any such thing.

Of course PSN will take a hit. After all, there are people who belive their govt should be doing more to protect them from radiation from Japan.

do you know what jeopardized means?

it does not mean it happened.  it basically means they are at risk.  someone has their info and it could be used.  same as the rest of the 70 million people.  all 70 million people were in jeopardy of getting their info taken.  it seems only 24 million or something did, and only like 13k credit card data did, or whatever the stats are.  but when the news first broke every psn accaount was in jeopardy of being compramised.

irstupid said:
Pristine20 said:
irstupid said:
Pristine20 said:
Grimes said:

do you know what jeopardized means?

it does not mean it happened.  it basically means they are at risk.  someone has their info and it could be used.  same as the rest of the 70 million people.  all 70 million people were in jeopardy of getting their info taken.  it seems only 24 million or something did, and only like 13k credit card data did, or whatever the stats are.  but when the news first broke every psn accaount was in jeopardy of being compramised.

So they are at risk...just like the other 70 million....I still dont get why you singled out the 20k ? I'm yet to see any stats  showing actual compromise. people just seem to be pulling random numbers from their behinds. Fact: nobody's CC has been seen any unauthorized use as a result of the psn breach as of this moment. Fact 2: if you use the internet, your information is in jeopardy of being compromised period....yet people still post their complaints of vgchartz.

For starters, 24 million is probably a more accurate tally of the number of real psn accounts not 77 million. I alone have 5 and I dont know anyone who has only 1 account.