By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SoE hacked and is out for the count

dsister said:
thedaftman said:

Well at least no damage has been done because judging by the information provided no CC info has been comprimised, and as far as my street address goes, its on Google Maps, directorys and all types of things they didn't have to hack PSN for that. -_- Lemme game damn it! And I will still support Sony not because I am so fanboy but because nothing was taken from me and thats what matters and it should not have happened but alot of things in life should not happen; yet they do. 

Why are you talking about PSN? This is a thread dedicated to SOE. Who actually did have a whole host of personal information leaked 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4033928

Lots and lots of stuff... 

But the data was from 2007 was it not, most credit cards expire in 3-5 years so really nothing has been taken.......I will re-read this article because I am reading this along with my homework so I will double check my facts 

alrite well if it is reported that all that information was taken that is messed up and the criminal(s) should be brought to justice............I thought the SoE and PSN went hand and hand did not realize they were different my apologies  

I am no good at grammar =) 

DAMN IT! This EP is such a good idea 

Around the Network

I am no good at grammar =) 

DAMN IT! This EP is such a good idea 

o_O.Q said:

@rath

true but thats simply one example my point was only that leaks like this are not rare

They are very rare on anywhere near this scale. Indeed this is probably the largest leak of private data ever. The only example you provided was not an example of a leak.

the_wizard_man said:
fordy said:
What about the people who don't use facebook for that very reason?

People CHOOSE to release info on facebook. Sony shouldn't have that choice for them.

So are you suggesting someone hacked Sony to get a single specific persons info thats riddicules 

No, what I am suggesting is that hackers got information from uers that they could otherwise not get from anywhere else. What right does Sony have to alow this to happen?

CGI-Quality said:
sethnintendo said:
deskpro2k3 said:
sethnintendo said:

I saw this comment on that vg247 link and it cracked me up.

"The only reason I tend to prefer Sony over it’s competitors is because most of the time, they have the superior product (reliability & build quality) & I’m sometimes willing to spend that premium knowing that Sony made it (depending on the product & how much spare change I have) rather than some random Chinese company, heck I still have a working Sony boombox from several decades ago running in perfect condition."

I guess a majority of first generation PS1 didn't overheat......  I guess a ton of PS2 disc drives, etc didn't break either...  Maybe he is just remembering sony walkmans/boomboxs from the 90s?  Who knows..  The only thing I know is that Sony lost me as a customer when my first generation PS1 overheated and they blamed me for doing it (charge 75 dollars to give me the second generation PS1 that didn't overheat).  Bleh....  Nintendo Customer Service > than the rest.

and all this has what to do with the topic of this thread?

I guess you can put it to the overall reliability of Sony products.  Sony used to be known for reliable products.  Not anymore.

Seeing that the PS3 is more reliable than the PS2 & PS1, I wouldn't be so sure. I agree with deskpro though, it has nothing to do with the topic and could be considered borderline trolling if nothing else.

Seriously? I never knew the ps1/2 were so unreliable when compared to the ps3. I always expected that the reliability went down with each console, but I wasn't really active on the internetz back in those days. I guess I was lucky, both my ps1 and 2 both still work fine, though I haven't used my ps1 in ages. The only Sony console to ever break down for me was my ps3, but a store near me had a nice 100 euro discount a few weeks later, so i just bought a new ps3. I think my other ps3 just simply broke its laser, because everything else was working fine.

I just hope psn gets back online soon, I got Portal 2 for only 33 euro's on the first day(normally like 60 O_o). But I still can't go online with my buddy :( And I just love the stores near me, so many great deals everyday, new releases for half the price. I remember getting Lbp for 20 euro's and Yakuza 4 for 13 euro's :P

Around the Network
fordy said:

Are you mixing up the figures? 77m PSN users were affected by the first hack, 12 million affected by the second SOE hack.

Edit: I see what you did there. You realise that 77 million is in the "tens of millions" categoy?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4033975

As I said in the other thread, this wasn't a second attack.  This was part of the first attack, only it wasn't until yesterday that SOE had become aware that they had also been hit.

Also, I'm not sure why people are giving Sony so much shit over this.  The attack was so severe the FBI and Homeland Security have gotten involved.  You're going to stop buying their products because some really damn good hackers decided Sony was their next target? 

There was no second attack. Makingmusic was really ignored in here. Reasonable post always being ignored. It's really a shame.

NoCtiS_NoX said:
fordy said:

Are you mixing up the figures? 77m PSN users were affected by the first hack, 12 million affected by the second SOE hack.

Edit: I see what you did there. You realise that 77 million is in the "tens of millions" categoy?

As I said in the other thread, this wasn't a second attack.  This was part of the first attack, only it wasn't until yesterday that SOE had become aware that they had also been hit.

Also, I'm not sure why people are giving Sony so much shit over this.  The attack was so severe the FBI and Homeland Security have gotten involved.  You're going to stop buying their products because some really damn good hackers decided Sony was their next target? 

There was no second attack. Makingmusic was really ignored in here. Reasonable post always being ignored. It's really a shame.

Proof please, that these hackers were "damn good". All they had to do was read the forums discussing Apache bugfixes, and then look for servers still running the old version (before the exploit was found). It was so simple, even my 5 year old nephew could do that.

Edit: Wait, so both attacks are amalgamated. Attack risen to 90 million usernames, people!

NoCtiS_NoX said:
fordy said:

Actually FBI and homeland security will be involved due to the severity of the hack, not due to the difficulty. The loss of 77 million customers data is what got them involved, it doesn't matter how hard the hackers had to work to get that data.

irstupid said:
badgenome said:

Wow. Forget bin Laden. Someone just took down a real villain. That's for fucking up Star Wars Galaxies, you dickholes!

Sounds like it's part of an investigation into the original PSN hack, though.

ha totally.  star wars galaxy's used to be a good game, then with each new update they just made it worse and worse and worse.  the all of a sudden they just made it a complete joke and like a totally different game

Yeah. They totally didn't give a shit about the time people invested in their characters, whether it was someone who spent hours making a master chef or all the people who did that ridiculous months-long Jedi quest chain. They'd just say, "WHOOPS, CRAFTING CLASSES HAVE BEEN TOTALLY NERFED!" or, "HEY GUYS, GOOD NEWS! YOU CAN ROLL A JEDI FROM THE START NOW!" I didn't play it very much myself, but it was incredibly galling to watch all the same because of their attitude.

Ignore double post.