By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - can some1 xplain y is wii outselling xbox 360 n ps3?

@ajax

I shouldnt have been banned I was correct and so was that zaclblue dude.

mM
Around the Network
Ajax said:
ssj12
how the hell can you 'currently' play some many games?

simple, one level at a time.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

@ssj12

That is not simple, its complicated.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

I don't hate leo-j either, I find him a little annoying in a few cases, but otherwise, I think he's generally amusing in his convictions, much like John Lucas or Soriku and the like. They're very gung ho, but I take whatever they say with a grain of salt when they get into that gung ho mode.
Lets face it, if everyone was totally rational and objective about things, we'd all just be agreeing with one another and have no dynamics to keep the forum alive. So I totally support whatever irrationality they may exhibit.
On the other hand, in support of that dynamic, I'll make sure to point out the flaws in their reasoning.

On topic though, you're right, PS3 and 360 probably do have more games, but people are realizing that, for the most part, it's the same game as they played last generation on the PS2 with a bit more polish.

Wii is a totally different feel. It's like the best mesh of computer gaming and console gaming. It may be a little underpowered compared to teh PS3 and 360, but it's at least as strong as the PS2 and the PS2 had excellent looking games being made for it.

People are constantly looking for a new experience, and Wii is providing that experience.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I'll largely second what others are saying, plus a little more.

1. The PS3 and 360 are largely just more expensive, flashier versions of the PS2 and 360. This is not to slight their libraries, but most of their games offered relatively little new to the last gen gaming experience. That offers little incentive for typical gamers to drop $400-600 on a new console (and don't bother mentioning the "Core" 360 - anyone with rudimentary math skills could see that was a horrible deal). However, the WiiMote/WiiSports really does add a novel element to gameplay. Factor in the low price, and there's a lot of players who would be willing to give it a spin while waiting for the 360 and PS3 to cut price.

2. With good PS2 games still being released in 2006, and a huge catalog to draw from, there was little reason for gamers without bleeding edge home theater systems to jump to the next gen. When you consider that there were roughly 160 million "last gen" consoles sold, and about 45 this gen (with many new gamers in the mix), there are clearly still a lotof PS2 owners sitting on the sidelines.

3. 2008 games don't sell 2007 consoles.

4. Personal opinions aside, there were relatively few "must have" games for any of the three systems until this fall. MS had Gears of War and Oblivion, Sony had Resistance, and Wii had WiiSPorts and Zelda. Most gamers aren't going to drop 4-6 Bejamens to play the latest edition of a cosoles sports game/racer/WW2 shooter. As the libraries build up, expect to see more and more gamers willing to jump in.

5. The 360 and PS3 are in direct competition. They are targeting the same demographics, the same socioeconomic level, with similar (and often the same) games. Thus the sales of one tend to cannibalize the customers for the other. OTOH. Nintendo is chasing a very different market (or appealing t the same market in a different way), which reduces it's competition, and increases overall sales.

6. As a reult of #5, since there is so much overlap in the titles of the PS3 and 360, the Wii is widely seen as a perfect "second" console for PS3/360 gamers. This further increases it's customer base. For those gamers who pick the "Wii" as their primary console, there is a pretty even split between the 360 and PS3 as #2 (if they even get a second - most probably won't).

7. The main selling point of the 360 and PS3 are hi-tech features about which the public (American, anyway) are very uneducated and, to be honest, uninterested. DVD was a good trojan horse for XBOx and PS2, as it was a simple concept to grasp, and followed a precedent (cassettes/LPs being replaced by CDs). Most people don't see an advantage to HD/BluRay over DVD, most HDTV owners don't have HD channels, etc. THe main selling point of the Wii - motion control - is simple for the average consumer to understand, and easily conveyed in commercials.

Around the Network

leo, the average age of a wii owner is 29

so your theory is wrong

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

This topic does not deserve a proper response. But if you are serious message me.

"Like you know"

Fastrabbit09 said:

leo, the average age of a wii owner is 29

so your theory is wrong

the average gamer from the alst poll was 33. You have to factor in all the parents and grandparents and retirement homes that made new gamers out of 80 year olds. The average ageas of now has to be above 40 at least.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

There's nothing quite like waking up to a morning coffee and reading a thread like this :)

bushkadush- brandname, price, and quantity of games. Wii has all 3, while the competition doesn't. They may have variations of them but not all 3.

Brandname appeal is of course the most important as that gets the maistream buyers. Quantity of games is what gets the hardcore, and price is what gets them both.