By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overdue Sequels: Make your list!!!

Okay we all of a few great games, that either sold well, a great, that are missing much needed sequels. I figured in a world where there is a million Maddens, tony hawks, and FF titles, we need to point a finger at IPs that were left to die.

Earthbound, despite the troubles with Earthbound 64, it was still a hugely anticipated game. There is simply no reason they haven't yet started work on a new one.

Smash Bros.: I know what your thinking, they are making a Smash Bros. sequel. Well thats not my point. My point is that we've only been getting one Smash bros. a generation. What's up with that? There is like a million Mario Party titles. heck there is even more mamouth Zelda titles then Smash Bros. games, and you'd think these are easier to crank out, and last time I checked Smash bros. was the biggest thing the Gamecube ever had, so why has it been what five years? And no for nothing but Smash bros. would have been a killer game on the DS. But Instead Nintendo pushes Jump Superstars, while being a great game, it's also a licensing nightmare, so they simply can't publish it outside Japan, but Smash bros. could be and it would have sold in the millions. They could have retooled the n64 version, added characters, and second screen functions and it would have been huge. 

Bonk: I know the Turbographx is dead, but this game was great. it had like four good sequels. And no one has bothered to import this to the world of 3d. It's time.

Crazy Taxi: This game was insanely fun. Sold well, and yet instead of creating a sequel the game was simply ported to every known system in the world. why not make a sequel?

Jet Set Radio: Another great Sega franchise that still has a good name, and deserves a next-gen sequel.

Shenmue: I know it's expensive, but this gen most likely has the tools to make the best and cheapest Shenmue experience. 

Around the Network

I like all of your suggestions, especially being a Sega fanboy.

I never got a chance to play Bonk, which I'm going to soon change thank to my Wii.

Right off the top of my head: Rez and Punchout!

I'm sure I'll think of more, but you seemed to really nail the major ones for me.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Way in line with you on the Jet set sequel.

A true Final Fantasy Tactics sequel (not the advanced version) and a real Xenogears successor (not xenosaga).

Ikaruga could do for a second round. I would love to see a next gen version of Codename: Viper.

Double dragons could use a return and seperately I would imagine a battletoads one as well.

I would actually be into an Ecco and/or vectorman sequel as long as sega doesn't drop the ball.

Give me a fallout that feels as fresh and original as part one... geeze......

CHRONO TRIGGER!!!! ( I actually liked cross but ti wasn't the same feel)

Everyone has been clamoring for either a true FFVII or FFVI spiritual successor. 

Vagrant Story with improved gameplay. 

Give me a starfox game that felt as awesome as starfox 64. 

Evolution 

Shadowman 

Gitaroo man 

Master blaster 

Shinobi  (successor to PS2 version) 

There are many more I can think of but I have to get ready to go soon. 

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

BIONIC COMMANDO

A true FFVI/VII sqeual is coming. Its called Lost Odyssey.

Shemmue - Have you played Yakuza before? it IS the sequal to Shemmune

I agree with a Chrono Cross sequal.

Also, an Ogre Battle sequal (in the vein of the SNES and 64 versions)

And finally, a FFT sequal that's on a console, not a friggin' handheld!

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
staticneuron said:

CHRONO TRIGGER!!!! ( I actually liked cross but ti wasn't the same feel)

I second this!

fooflexible said:

Earthbound, despite the troubles with Earthbound 64, it was still a hugely anticipated game. There is simply no reason they haven't yet started work on a new one.

Uh, you know about Mother 3, right?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

mrstickball said:

A true FFVI/VII sqeual is coming. Its called Lost Odyssey.

Shemmue - Have you played Yakuza before? it IS the sequal to Shemmune

I'm sorry, you just sound silly saying this. Those "sequels" are nothing like the alleged predecessors. Well, I guess they're similar, but that's all I'm willing to budge. Anyway, I totally agree on a new "Chrono" game. I love FF as much as the next guy, but Square has gone too far over the last 5-6 years milking it. Can anyone name a single Square RPG that's come out over the last 5-6 years that doesn't have Final Fantasy in the title? (Kingdom Hearts doesn't count b/c it's an action/adventure game and neither do any Enix games)

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Punch Out! (or Super Punch Out!) really needs a Wiimote based sequel.

TimeSplitters, GTA (3 years), SSX (on PS), ZOE, Jak and Daxter

add me