By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The unOfficial 'I don't care Sony was hacked' thread

All these news articles and threads and people sending ''PS3 doomed LOL'' messages are really unnecessary.

Infamous 2 is still coming out.

Uncharted 3 is still coming out.

Next year there might be a online co-op God of War (fingers crossed)

Ico Collection...

Shadow of Colossus...

So it really doesn't make much of a difference to me. Sure, Portal would have been cool online, but this has given me time to catch up on my backlog (  Demon's Souls :O  ). Probably PSN will be up again in a week or two and then nothing has really changed.

Some articles now state Sony might lose 20 billion US. I think some reporters didn't take their sanity pills this morning. The figure will surely be significantly less. My guess is it will be less by a factor 1000, so 20 Million US, which isn't that much anyway.

Around the Network

I only care until PSN comes back.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Edit:  What happened to my post?!  Damn gremlins!!

in short: PS3 is fine, peace out.

People are saying 20 billion, because each case of identity theft like what happens in having their paswords and names copied costs an average of $318... and Sony is probably on the hook for that.

Of course the average of $318 is more of a, hit one person for thousands and thousands while most skirt free... but you get the point.

Peoples bank accounts and such are at risk despite CC info not being taken because of the propensity at which most people repeat passwords.

77 Million X 318 = 23 Billion.

Then you throw in a few million here and there fore rebuilding the market, lost buisness, legal fees, dealing with all the government inquries, stuff like that.

Most of the above costs though would be down the line.  The lawsuits started now are silly since I THINK you need to demonstrate harm. 

While I don't care personally, it's a very big deal for Sony... and a very interesting story.

Kasz216 said:

People are saying 20 billion, because each case of identity theft like what happens in having their paswords and names copied costs an average of $318... and Sony is probably on the hook for that.

Of course the average of $318 is more of a, hit one person for thousands and thousands while most skirt free... but you get the point.

Peoples bank accounts and such are at risk despite CC info not being taken because of the propensity at which most people repeat passwords.

While I don't care personally, it's a very big deal for Sony.

I doubt the law would care if people repeat passwords. thats not sonys responsibility. Also, as stated in california law only thing that needs to be encrypted is the CC info

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
Kasz216 said:

I doubt the law would care if people repeat passwords. thats not sonys responsibility. Also, as stated in california law only thing that needs to be encrypted is the CC info

You'd be wrong.  Which is why basically legal and security experts are all like "Sony is in trouble here."  I mean a better arguement would be their EULA, however nobody expects that to reasonably hold up.  Companies who lose personal information pretty much always face lawsuits and they always either lose or settle.

The only ones likely to fail are these early ones... since they won't be able to show any harm.

Kasz216 said:
Kasz216 said:

You'd be wrong.  Which is why basically legal and security experts are all like "Sony is in trouble here."

Please show me

Kasz216 said:
Kasz216 said:

You'd be wrong.  Which is why basically legal and security experts are all like "Sony is in trouble here."

Please show me

Sure, I'll put in on your wall it to you though since your taking this grossly off topic.

Kasz216 and Max.

I dont actully think this is a big issue anymore, Sony have made it a big issue...

for example Xbox Live was hacked in 2007, which is why i think Microsoft has remained uncharastically silent on this issue for the moment.

many systems are hacked; Iphone, Windows, Android, etc, which contain your personal information. its actully not illegal to obtain your name, since this is considered public information - eg this stuff is freely available over facebook.

nothing illegal has actully happened for the moment, since the data for peoples' credit cards is encrypted.

Sony, have decided to make a big issue out of this probabily to deter the hackers from passing on this information, now its one of the biggest news stories in the world.

Sony also seem to hate the fact their 'impregenable fortress' has been breached. but this has come at a cost, because this is a PR nightmare - try explaining that nothing has actully happened to an ordinary person and they probabily wont understand. my point is, i dont actully think this is that big of an issue. the credit card information cant be used because its encrypted and even if it could, every credit card company in the world is on high alert from media panic.

Kasz216 said:

77 Million X 318 = 23 Billion.

Then you throw in a few million here and there fore rebuilding the market, lost buisness, legal fees, dealing with all the government inquries, stuff like that.

Most of the above costs though would be down the line.  The lawsuits started now are silly since I THINK you need to demonstrate harm. 

While I don't care personally, it's a very big deal for Sony... and a very interesting story.

that figure of 23 or 24 billion is a complete joke, i cant believe it even made the news.