By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is going the Gamecube route next gen and dooming itself, thoughts?

Nintendo is going the Gamecube route next gen and dooming itself, thoughts?

Yay! a triumphant for real gaming. 139 52.06%

Yea.. I might skip next generation. 29 10.86%

Don't care, just wish th... 44 16.48%

I'm ready to jump ship, ... 10 3.75%

Console gaming now is dea... 21 7.87%

I feel sorry for the next... 24 8.99%

Total:267

double post

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Around the Network

triple post... truly sorry

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

A huge part of the Nintendo audience this gen was the casual new to gaming.

And it's going to be hard to make them buy a new console every 4 years so whatever Nintendo does it's going to be very hard to tap the same audience than they hit this gen...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

I don't think we need to worry about how Nintendo runs its business until they start losing money... which is... never?

@OP

After reading that I couldn't get the MASSIVE FAIL thought out of my mind, so I thought I'd rather be a bit more specific than that.

" Not what the expanded market wants, not what the core market wants, not what the mass market wants, but what it wants."

If they made another console like the Wii then the mass market would be raving. If the next console has a Gamecube-like appeal then the core gamer will be extremely pleased.I.DON'T.GET.WHAT.YOU'RE.SAYING.

"Guys, this could be worse than the Gamecube days."

Personally the Gamecube was my favourite console last gen, and has only been eclipsed by the PS3 recently in my eyes. A quick look upstairs ^^ will show many seem to feel similar to me. In other words, I don't know what your going on about.

"they're blinded by an obsession with 3D and euphoric high from the sales of the past"

Here I was under the impression that they were one of the best run companies in the world. Nevermind the fact that they operate in one of the most volatile and unpredictable industries in the world. Also, 'blinded by an obsession with 3D' is a little strong choice of words. I never ever got the impression that they are obsessed with it at all.

"rather than following what made the DS and Wii sales giants, Nintendo is acting selfish and rather rockstar-like."

I would love to know how you think they could have followed up on the Wii in a similar way. I don't think a Wii2 would have been a very good idea. Also, the 3DS is so close to the DS yet you say they are not following the same formula. WTF!?

"that's why games like Other M don't sell"

Other M didn't sell because it sucked btw.

I'm going to stop there and just say that there isn't a single sentance in your entire OP that I agree with. Which begs the question, are you serious at all in your OP?

EDIT:MASSIVE FAIL

:P

Around the Network
Ail said:

And it's going to be hard to make them buy a new console every 4 years so whatever Nintendo does it's going to be very hard to tap the same audience than they hit this gen...

Good point right there.

noname2200 said:
Squilliam said:

Nintendo has a sized WiiWii on the way, they're big enough to take the next gen don't worry.

My favorite joke of the moment is to refer to this system as the "Perfect Nintendo Entertainment System"...

I guess Nintendo set out with a Can-Wii attitude when they launched their console this generation.

Tease.

Dr.Grass said:
Ail said:

Good point right there.

Maybe, but...it aint the 70s anymore.

We live in a world where (we're fooled into thinking) every product we buy is obselete 6 months later and needs to be replaced by a newer version...

in comparison, 4 years is a pretty long time.

mushroomboy5 said:
Dr.Grass said:
Ail said:

Good point right there.

Maybe, but...it aint the 70s anymore.

We live in a world where (we're fooled into thinking) every product we buy is obselete 6 months later and needs to be replaced by a newer version...

in comparison, 4 years is a pretty long time.

Yes, but I know almost 10 people who bought a Wii and hasn't used it in the last YEAR. That's something that takes more than four years to forget.

The Gamecube as a console was fine. The problem was its games, specifically the Nintendo ones. They didn't get away with having the worst entries ever seen in the vast majority of their franchises.

If they made 'another Gamecube' but got the software right, I'd expect better things to come of it.

VGChartz