By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is doomed..

When has nintendo ever failed?...Oh wait virtual boy

"I don't know what this Yamcha is, but it sounds just like Raditz."

Around the Network

Doesnt look doomed to me.

whatevs... I'm just glad I have a chance to use my gif one more time

Gentlemen, let us all welcome a new member to the Nintendo family with the customary greeting:

D0MED!!

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Nsanity said:

Doesnt look doomed to me.

Eh. The sales problem is a games problem. They're one and the same.

I did really enjoy my Gamecube, but after Wii there's no way I want to go back. It has nothing to do with wanting to root for a champion or caring about what other people think about my tastes... It has to do with Wii Sports, WarioWare, Mario Kart Wii and NSMBW being pure bliss gaming that I hadn't experienced since I was a kid. Nintendo has changed course from making those types of games.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
radishhead said:

...but can't we enjoy the games anyway?

Who says that winning is everything?

It's not like the games are just going to disappear if Nintendo doesn't quite sell the amount that they hoped. 

Guys, stay calm, and play the games :

Seriously.. I'm starting to not care anymore what happens to Nintendo. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and and losing my fanboyish ways, or maybe I'm simply in the 5th stage of grieving, but I no longer care how Nintendo's consoles perform, as long as it has an ample supply of games that I can enjoy.

I mean hell, the Wii, for the massive success it was, had virtually not third party games worth playing. So while I liked seeing Nintendo's return to dominance, it's not like there was anything in it for me, since the library was lacking somewhat, at least in terms of third party. I'd rather have a Nintendo console with great 3rd party support and decent to mediocre sales (which I think could be the situtation with Project Cafe), than have a massively successful console with an underwhelming library.

Do I want Nintendo to succeed? Of course, they've been my favorite developer since I was a todler. But at this point, I couldn't care less if they had a console that flopped. Hell, in fact I welcome it. Remember, it was the flop of the Gamecube that forced Nintendo into trying new, risky things and appealing to the masses, which created the Wii. So just sit back and enjoy the ride I say!

Mr Khan said:

I've been wondering that myself. Didn't we all have fun in the GameCube days? Certainly some of the games introduced in the Wii epoch have been fun (hopefully 2D Mario and renewed Donkey Kong are here to stay, and i would enjoy moar Wii Sports), but i was quite content with my purple lunchbox and the near market irrelevance that came with it

But then again i'm the weird one that got on the N64 train as the star was dying in late 1999, so maybe i'm more comfortable with "loser Nintendo" than others who can more properly recollect their glory days

This.  People keep claiming Nintendo is doomed, when they're in the best position they've been in since the SNES days.  And even when they're not the top dog (N64 and GC days), they still made amazing games that most people here agree are classics.  And how do you know Nintendo is doomed?  People have been saying the same thing for practically every move Nintendo has done since the Virtual Boy (which also includes N64, GBA, GameCube, DS and Wii).  Aren't you people getting tired of being wrong?  Or do you just keep claiming Nintendo is dying hoping this is the time.  I'm sorry, Nintendo is not Atari, Sega or Neo Geo.  They've proved they can survive, even with a total lack of third party support and being last in console sales.  Both of which are not happening to the DS, Wii or 3DS.

Also, what's with the hundreds of 'Nintendo is Doomed' threads, especially now with Sony Network practically exploding and MS having a complete dry spell in games.  Come on people, get your priorities straight.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

They've been 'd0med' for so long I've become desensitised to the whole matter

MrT-Tar said:

They've been 'd0med' for so long I've become desensitised to the whole matter

Truth through repitition.

Repeat it enough times and people are bound to take it as fact, regardless how illogical.

No matter what they do, they will always be doomed.

Nintendo: Doomed since 1889.