By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Snesboy finally has a real computer.

NJ5 said:
Antabus said:
Snesboy said:
Antabus said:

2.6ghz and 5750 =/= real computer.

If you weren't such a troll, I might believe you. But what should I expect from someone that buys 3rd party videogame controllers? And a Radeon HD 5750 is a great graphics card, especially with a gig of dedicated memory. So until you actually have a well thought out post to share with us, I kindly ask you to be quiet.

I see that you are willing to accept not so well thought posts if they are positive about your purchase.

2.6hgz processor is slow for games and you don't need 6 cores for virtually any games now and for a long time.

5750 is not a good gpu. With 1440x900 resolution, you won't get any advantage over the 512mb model. For higher resolutions, 5750 is way too slow. Even with 1440x900, you will not get 75(your likely refresh rate?) fps for any modern games.

Also you paid waaaayyy too much for that package. I think you just bought a prebuild acer or something.

You could have had a 3.5ghz quad core, 8gb 1333mhz ram, 2tb HDD, GF 560ti  and a good case/power ( oem W7 home)  for the money you spent on that.

The Phenom II X6 has turbo so he will in fact get 3.1 GHz for games which use three cores or less.

CPU is not the limiting factor in most games anyway...

What is?

Also, what all does the speed of the hard drive affect in regards to gaming?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Around the Network
Baalzamon said:
NJ5 said:
Antabus said:
Snesboy said:
Antabus said:

If you weren't such a troll, I might believe you. But what should I expect from someone that buys 3rd party videogame controllers? And a Radeon HD 5750 is a great graphics card, especially with a gig of dedicated memory. So until you actually have a well thought out post to share with us, I kindly ask you to be quiet.

I see that you are willing to accept not so well thought posts if they are positive about your purchase.

2.6hgz processor is slow for games and you don't need 6 cores for virtually any games now and for a long time.

5750 is not a good gpu. With 1440x900 resolution, you won't get any advantage over the 512mb model. For higher resolutions, 5750 is way too slow. Even with 1440x900, you will not get 75(your likely refresh rate?) fps for any modern games.

Also you paid waaaayyy too much for that package. I think you just bought a prebuild acer or something.

You could have had a 3.5ghz quad core, 8gb 1333mhz ram, 2tb HDD, GF 560ti  and a good case/power ( oem W7 home)  for the money you spent on that.

The Phenom II X6 has turbo so he will in fact get 3.1 GHz for games which use three cores or less.

CPU is not the limiting factor in most games anyway...

What is?

Also, what all does the speed of the hard drive affect in regards to gaming?

GPU is more of a bottleneck than CPU is, for most games.

Speed of the hard drive would affect loading times but not much more than that...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

That's a good computer for the money, and more than enough for the games you want to play. You could have spent less on the CPU but I mean, I just bought a 5750 for SC2 and it's fine.

Come on Blizz enable cross-region play in custom games! Or LAN!

The GPU is probably a bit behind the rest but it's still a good buy. There's this guy yelling how this was far from a good buy but don't listen to him.

disolitude said:
Snesboy said:

I was reading some reviews on newegg and they said that the graphics were underpowered or average. And it's like, really? My brother's computer has a 4870 radeon card and that thing is amazing. Are people just stupid?

4870 easily beats 5750 tho in benchmarks.

5750 is good for games you listed, but games like AvP(new one), metro 2033, crysis 1 or 2...on medium and higher settings and 1920x1080...won't be pretty.

Your new machine is quite solid other than for the 5750 which sticks out a little on the "underpowered or average" side :)

True; the 5770 is closer to the 4870 in benchmark numbers.

Pretty sure a better VGA card can be bought for around $100.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

That's a good computer for the money, and more than enough for the games you want to play. You could have spent less on the CPU but I mean, I just bought a 5750 for SC2 and it's fine.

Come on Blizz enable cross-region play in custom games! Or LAN!

And maybe a bit more on the GPU instead.

greenmedic88 said:
Soleron said:

And maybe a bit more on the GPU instead.

SC2, L4D and TF2 run on six year old integrated graphics and still look great. A 5750 should more than max out their detail settings.

Antabus said:
Snesboy said:
Antabus said:

I don't need more than 60. I don't even see a difference between 24, 30, and 60 so whatever.

Way too much? Yeah sure. I'm totally gonna buy another piece of shit Acer after my experience with an Acer Aspire. Please read the edits in the OP.

I don't want a quad-core. I wanted a hexa-core. That's why I got one. And I can overclock it if I feel like it. I'm not going to be playing Crysis on this damn thing so why are you making a big deal out of it? I have that same RAM in my computer. I don't need 2 terabytes of hard drive space. I already have a terabte external drive.  I don't like nVidia cards since they are not optimised to play Source engine games.

EDIT: Comparable Acer Aspire prebuilt: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000010&IsNodeId=1&Description=acer aspire&name=Desktop PCs&Order=BESTMATCH

disolitude said:
Antabus said:
Snesboy said:
Antabus said:

He can easily overclock that CPU to ~3.4 ghz with an aftermarket air cooler. I have a 3.0 Phenom II running at 3.8 with even more headroom if needed. Besides its not like clockspeed is everything.

And that GPU is plenty for 1440x900 res, which is what most likely his monitor is capable of.

Also...75 fps? really? Is a game unplayable for you if it goes under 75fps?

Also...there is no way in hell one can get all that stuff you listed for 700 bucks. Unless you spend weeks looking for sales, bottom prices and special deals...

Thank you disolitude. I know you are an Intel/nVidia guy but at least you know what you are talking about. I'm going to be playing mostly older games on the system anyway. What I'm really looking forward to is running The Orange Box on max settings with 16X AA and all that good stuff. And now I will finally be able to do it.

It would be great to run shit at 100 fps but do I need to? No.

disolitude said:

Any future upgrades you're thinking about? Some tinkering perhaps?

My suggestions would be a good aftermarket CPU heatsink and overclock it.

That CPU is great but there are some older applications which can only use single core, or dual core. You have to overclock your CPU to about 3.4 ghz to get a playable frame rate in Dolphin Wii emulator cause it only uses 2 cores of any CPU. FEAR videogame is single core only...etc

Then I would save up money and get a solid strate boot drive.

Is your mobo capable of crossfire setups?

Yes, it is.

As for upgrades:

Radeon HD 6950 (this should make everyone shut up)

two 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks (this will max out my RAM capacity in the computer so it will be blazing fast, as if it isn't already)

1920x1200 monitor 60Hz (nothing too fancy, something cheap, preferably two)