By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony hack could cost Sony $318 per account!?

youarebadatgames said:
imaprettyhotguy said:

Actually the absence of evidence is the only way to prove absence, of course you have to look, and this stuff happens all the time, do you have any idea how many ways people get stuff like their name and address, it's not that huge of a deal, and class action lawsuit can sue for them not meeting industry standards at best (assuming they didn't meet them) from what I understand so yeah, not that big of a deal there isn't even 1 confirmed case of anything happening to anyone, hell not even 1 reported case lol 

Given that they already have a lawsuit going that's being setup for class action, I'm pretty sure there will be a mechanism whereby users who do suffer damages will be able to get additional compensation.  All they'd likely have to show is a credit card used on PSN with fradulent activity, as civil cases only require a preponderance of evidence.

I'm fairly certain if the case gets to trial Sony's PSN security will be found to be not meeting industry standards, as that is the consensus opinion among most of the security researchers and experts, but it's more likely they will settle.  A lot of the vulnerabilities were already known and the information was circulated among the hacker groups.  That Sony did not adequately address the issue in time speaks volumes for itself.

First someone has to actually suffer damages which no1 has so yeah 

Around the Network
ameratsu said:

Update on the situation. Sony's losses may be worse than initially feared. This is bad.

I think this part of it sums up half the threads "this is because many gaming forum users become stupid when presented with news that is completely baseless but fits their own biases for or against particular companies. By SiFI calculations, the only reason 'news' like this is posted in the first place is because of fanboys who want it to be true, even when it makes no sense whatsoever."

yeah....I'm gonna take this with a HUGE grain of salt...surely this will cost Sony some money but I doubt it will be nowhere near this 24 billion.

if this some how does come into fruition, than damn...Sony just kicked themselves out the console race...

"The Institute claims that the average cost of a data breach in 2010 was $318 per malicious act."

I don't really think every account counts as a malicious act. The whole thing is really one malicious act, isn't it?

Obviously, this won't cost $318 to fix; it will be in the high millions. But there is no way it will cost $24 billion. For that price, they could buy a high-tech mercenary force and have it track down and murder the hackers, and have enough money remaining to change their names and buy comfortable houses on Pacific Islands where they would be worshipped as gods.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Now, 23 billion is a ridiculous number. Sony ain't going bankrupt. This would be the biggest new story in the world and debated by people a lot more important than console fanboys if that were happening.

But it really looks like the PlayStation brand might finally hit red. And dig a deep a hole for itself as well.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network

If this is true i guess there won't be a PS4

mole hills != mountains

these stories are just getting worse and worse. 

Let's peg the final costs for fixing and upgrading at $6 Billion so we can....

Gentlemen we can rebuild it
We have the technology
We have the capability to make the world's first hacker proof network
PSN will be that network
Better than it was before
Better, Securer, Faster

Cut to 6 Million Dollar Man intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA

The 6 BILLION DOLLAR NETWORK!

I really cannot see this costing anything like $24 billion but then also cannot see them getting away with 20 or 30 million. This is suspect is going to cost them hundreds of millions to fix but not billions so no to the $318 per account.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Porcupine_I said:

I call out everyone who always claimed that 70 million PSN accouts are double/triple accounts or just made up bullshit! we need your arguments now,people!

some are, but the vast majority aren't.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453