By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you (still) believe it was members of Anonymous that hacked the PSN?

Tagged games:

Do you (still) believe it was members of Anonymous that hacked the PSN?

Yes 143 41.81%

No 93 27.19%

Don't Know 34 9.94%

View results plox 72 21.05%

Total:342

I mean it's really kind of stupid to think it's them as a group. Do you know what hackers from Anonymous do when they hack a company? They make a really nice internet post ridiculing and absolutely annihilating the company. It happened with everything from the security firms they scewed to the entire Gawker network (that post was absolutely hilarious actually).

Now answer me this question, has there been a release that ocmpletely mocks Sony and its security? That is basically the answer to this poll.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:
scottie said:
Porcupine_I said:
epicberserk said:
Porcupine_I said:

but the thing is, that everyone always claims that anon is a group without any structure or leadership.

Everyone is wrong.

then please elaborate on the truth.

Lets imagine we take a fairly standard democracy, the Australian one for example. I assume you believe that has structure?

Now, lets imagine that a PM, interested in the public's opinion, opens a website where people can propose laws. The PM then raises the popular ones before parliament and they vote as normal. That is still structured, surely?

Now lets say the PM and parliament formalise and automate this - they simply say, "We shall pass any law that gets popular support, and we shall not pass our own, nor any unpopular decisions. Is this structured still?

Now, finally, the PM and all the members of parliament get bored due to lack of work and all go base jumping, and get themselves killed. However, because they automated the system previously, no-one notices their absense, laws are proposed by thosee who can be bothered proposing them, and voted on by those who can be bothered voting. Is that structured?

Now, the structure I described above is how Anon works. There is structure. There is even leadership - there is an established meritocracy where people are more inclined to listen to those they know are sensible. There is a system of police, with powers to ban users from the various chat channels. I don't know exactly the process by which one becomes a mod, I've lurked a time or two out of curiousity but haven't actually spent much time there.

As for the statement that because of the apparent lack of structure and leadership, they cannot determine if their people are actually behind it. The same is true of a country, the leaders of those countries from which the attackers come from are completely unable to determine if their countrymen are responsible, and if so, which of them it is. Criticising the entire on Anon for the alleged actions of what a handful of them have done is just like criticising an entire country for the actions of a handful.

vlad321 said:

Now answer me this question, has there been a release that ocmpletely mocks Sony and its security? That is basically the answer to this poll.

Yeah, they'd be drumming up the victory song instead of watching quietly in a corner.

scottie said:
Porcupine_I said:
scottie said:
Porcupine_I said:
epicberserk said:
Porcupine_I said:

but the thing is, that everyone always claims that anon is a group without any structure or leadership.

Everyone is wrong.

then please elaborate on the truth.

Lets imagine we take a fairly standard democracy, the Australian one for example. I assume you believe that has structure?

Now, lets imagine that a PM, interested in the public's opinion, opens a website where people can propose laws. The PM then raises the popular ones before parliament and they vote as normal. That is still structured, surely?

Now lets say the PM and parliament formalise and automate this - they simply say, "We shall pass any law that gets popular support, and we shall not pass our own, nor any unpopular decisions. Is this structured still?

Now, finally, the PM and all the members of parliament get bored due to lack of work and all go base jumping, and get themselves killed. However, because they automated the system previously, no-one notices their absense, laws are proposed by thosee who can be bothered proposing them, and voted on by those who can be bothered voting. Is that structured?

Now, the structure I described above is how Anon works. There is structure. There is even leadership - there is an established meritocracy where people are more inclined to listen to those they know are sensible. There is a system of police, with powers to ban users from the various chat channels. I don't know exactly the process by which one becomes a mod, I've lurked a time or two out of curiousity but haven't actually spent much time there.

As for the statement that because of the apparent lack of structure and leadership, they cannot determine if their people are actually behind it. The same is true of a country, the leaders of those countries from which the attackers come from are completely unable to determine if their countrymen are responsible, and if so, which of them it is. Criticising the entire on Anon for the alleged actions of what a handful of them have done is just like criticising an entire country for the actions of a handful.

yes, that is very likely what happens if a country threatens attacks. 

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Galaki said:
vlad321 said:

Yeah, they'd be drumming up the victory song instead of watching quietly in a corner.

I wonder if they are beating themselves up for not doing this first. Honestly, the best news that can come out of this is that Anon really did do this, because they don't give a shit about the actual data and don't usually use it for nefarious actions, therefore the personal information would be "safe." The worst they do is mock the users, and if someone really pisses them off then pull pranks on them. When Gawker got screwed there weren't any accounts of people's accounts being accessed until Anon made the information public. The fact that it is not Anon really raises the bar on the pant-shitting scale.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

Yeah. They developed a GUI interface using Visual Basic to hack it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Think about it. With all the backslash of the gaming communitiy that anonymous has experienced, wouldn't that just increase 10 fold if they admitted to being the ones doing it ?

If they really did it, the intelligent solution would be keeping quiet, that way, people will be more likely to blame sony as there isn't anything else to blame other than "hackers" in general.. Which is vague.

I don't know if they did it or didn't do it... But if they did, saying they did might not be the best of ideas.

Check out my game about moles ^

they have no concensus so you cant generalise the whole group but i believe the extremeist among them did it.

More to the point you wouldn't be having this discussion if it wasn't for Sony's security holes so does it even matter who did it?

scottie said:

I never believed it was the actual group Anonymous, but I know a few did, and a lot believed it was a small number of people of the group Anon acting without the support of the rest.

But stealing user's personal data? That seems very out of character for a group that stopped their DDOS attacks on the basis that the Damage to Sony:Damage to Consumers ratio was too low.

They're also criminals, and criminals are not honest people.

They're mostly just creating mischief at the expense of Sony; and have always had a very weak argument for it. They're justification is the lack of linux - something Sony is being sued over, and also about information that Sony acquired through legal channels.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.