By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you (still) believe it was members of Anonymous that hacked the PSN?

Tagged games:

Do you (still) believe it was members of Anonymous that hacked the PSN?

Yes 143 41.81%

No 93 27.19%

Don't Know 34 9.94%

View results plox 72 21.05%

Total:342
Porcupine_I said:
irstupid said:
Porcupine_I said:
buglebum said:
Porcupine_I said:
greenmedic88 said:
Porcupine_I said:

i remember them saying something along the line of "the strongest attack is yet to come"

That's called monumentally bad timing.

Stealing personal data and billing information doesn't really seem to fit with their MO, but then again as a group with no central leadership, any number of members with the group's resources at hand could choose to use them to make potential physical gain rather than just spout rhetoric and be a nuisance for corporations.

Plus they also said they wouldn't attack PSN as they acknowledge this ultimately hurts consumers and more importantly, it kills their image as consumer rights advocates.

Ultimately, no one individual speaks for Anonymous and the reality is, ANY member or anyone claiming to be a member can release a statement or make a video on behalf of everyone, even if they don't speak for everyone in the group.

extremely bad timing indeed.

but nobody knows yet what the attacks intention had been or if any data has actually been stolen.

so far it is known PSN has been hacked and data has been accessed.

as for not attacking PSN, they could not have known Sony would shut down PSN completely after the hack. that might have been the moment that someone realized they had crossed a line from being annoying to being a criminal.

i'm not saying "they" did it, but they are the ones who cried wolf, and the wolf actually showed up.

LOL Are you serious? Don't be absurd, you sound almost guilty with that paper thin explanation! It sounds to me like you know full well anonymous had no part in it and you're just coming up with "the dog ate my homework" excuses like a 5 year old would.

what? are you telling me, if someone threatens to break into your house, and the next day someone does, you would not suspect the one who said he would?

that is the only point i was trying to make, what is absurd about it?

yep but in same sense, when is the perfect time to break into that house?  when someone else says they are going to.  That way the blame finger will be pointed at them and not the real crook.

who knwos if this was anon or not.  might have been someone who saw an oppertunity to do something while making it seem like someone else is to blame

really? you break into a house when the owners have already been warned it would happen? is that really the perfect time?

but my question was if it is absurd to suspect them? although it wasn't you who flamed me like the five year old he accused me to be.

well house isn't best example, cause you would assume they wouldl be on lookout.

but lets take a typical csi tv case.  how often does a murder happen and there HAPPENS to have been some argument between the victom and some guy that results in "i'm going to kill you" statement.  That guy is never guilty.

But if you really do want to kill someone, waht better time than when they get in a huge argument and near blows with someone else.  The blame finger will point to that person very quickly. 

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Porcupine_I said:
irstupid said:
Porcupine_I said:
buglebum said:
Porcupine_I said:
greenmedic88 said:
Porcupine_I said:

i remember them saying something along the line of "the strongest attack is yet to come"

That's called monumentally bad timing.

Stealing personal data and billing information doesn't really seem to fit with their MO, but then again as a group with no central leadership, any number of members with the group's resources at hand could choose to use them to make potential physical gain rather than just spout rhetoric and be a nuisance for corporations.

Plus they also said they wouldn't attack PSN as they acknowledge this ultimately hurts consumers and more importantly, it kills their image as consumer rights advocates.

Ultimately, no one individual speaks for Anonymous and the reality is, ANY member or anyone claiming to be a member can release a statement or make a video on behalf of everyone, even if they don't speak for everyone in the group.

extremely bad timing indeed.

but nobody knows yet what the attacks intention had been or if any data has actually been stolen.

so far it is known PSN has been hacked and data has been accessed.

as for not attacking PSN, they could not have known Sony would shut down PSN completely after the hack. that might have been the moment that someone realized they had crossed a line from being annoying to being a criminal.

i'm not saying "they" did it, but they are the ones who cried wolf, and the wolf actually showed up.

LOL Are you serious? Don't be absurd, you sound almost guilty with that paper thin explanation! It sounds to me like you know full well anonymous had no part in it and you're just coming up with "the dog ate my homework" excuses like a 5 year old would.

what? are you telling me, if someone threatens to break into your house, and the next day someone does, you would not suspect the one who said he would?

that is the only point i was trying to make, what is absurd about it?

yep but in same sense, when is the perfect time to break into that house?  when someone else says they are going to.  That way the blame finger will be pointed at them and not the real crook.

who knwos if this was anon or not.  might have been someone who saw an oppertunity to do something while making it seem like someone else is to blame

really? you break into a house when the owners have already been warned it would happen? is that really the perfect time?

but my question was if it is absurd to suspect them? although it wasn't you who flamed me like the five year old he accused me to be.

well house isn't best example, cause you would assume they wouldl be on lookout.

but lets take a typical csi tv case.  how often does a murder happen and there HAPPENS to have been some argument between the victom and some guy that results in "i'm going to kill you" statement.  That guy is never guilty.

But if you really do want to kill someone, waht better time than when they get in a huge argument and near blows with someone else.  The blame finger will point to that person very quickly.

ok, so, a fictional TV show is a better example then my house?

how about you just answer my question: is it really absurd to suspect them? that is all i want to know.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:
irstupid said:

how about you just answer my question: is it really absurd to suspect them? that is all i want to know.

if your brother is killed tomorrow and today he had a huge fight with someone and the typical "i'll kill you" line is thrown in that argument.

what the first thing to pop in your mind tomorrow when you hear of your brother being killed?

that's the same as this id theft will be. if i found out someone stole my identity, the only thing i could think of would be this psn fiascol.  i'm not saying in either case its true, but just making a point.

now then lets examine our idiotic news.  they would LOVE to broadcast and have a story about the thousands of people that had their identity stolen "apparantly" by this psn fiascol. 

irstupid said:
Porcupine_I said:
irstupid said:

if your brother is killed PSN IS HACKED tomorrow and today he SONY had a huge fight with someone and the typical "i'll kill you HACK YOUR NETWORK" line is thrown in that argument.

what the first thing to pop in your mind tomorrow when you hear of your brother being killed PSN IS BEING HACKED?

that's the same as this id theft will be. if i found out someone stole my identity, the only thing i could think of would be this psn fiascol.  i'm not saying in either case its true, but just making a point.

now then lets examine our idiotic news.  they would LOVE to broadcast and have a story about the thousands of people that had their identity stolen "apparantly" by this psn fiascol.

i fixed that first sentence to show we actually agree, and i will take that as a answer to my question you appeared to dodge!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:
irstupid said:
Porcupine_I said:
irstupid said:

if your brother is killed PSN IS HACKED tomorrow and today he SONY had a huge fight with someone and the typical "i'll kill you HACK YOUR NETWORK" line is thrown in that argument.

what the first thing to pop in your mind tomorrow when you hear of your brother being killed PSN IS BEING HACKED?

i fixed that first sentence to show we actually agree, and i will take that as a answer to my question you appeared to dodge!

i never said you were wrong.  its obvoius people will suspect anon.  i just saying it could have been another hacker taking anon's spotlight to sneakily hack it himself.

everyone right now thinks its anon's work.

if this was half a year ago, everyone would be looking for the random hacker who did this.  right now though since anon wnet into the spotlight they are the prime suspects.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Porcupine_I said:
irstupid said:
Porcupine_I said:
irstupid said:

i never said you were wrong.  its obvoius people will suspect anon.  i just saying it could have been another hacker taking anon's spotlight to sneakily hack it himself.

everyone right now thinks its anon's work.

if this was half a year ago, everyone would be looking for the random hacker who did this.  right now though since anon wnet into the spotlight they are the prime suspects.

...and that was the only point i was always trying to make.

i never said it HAD to be them.

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Still a maybe to me, there's no evidence that any information was even acessed let alone taken and psn is down thats all we really know

of course it was anon -- they are a flock of birds flying in the same direction.  anon made it their mission to terrorize sony, sony has been terrorized.  

... might not be same same physical people as who released the original video but they are flying in the same direction which is how anon has defined themselves therefore it was anon regardless.

imaprettyhotguy said:

Still a maybe to me, there's no evidence that any information was even acessed let alone taken and psn is down thats all we really know

Other than Sony confirming that things were indeed stolen, you are correct.

kitler53 said:

of course it was anon -- they are a flock of birds flying in the same direction.  anon made it their mission to terrorize sony, sony has been terrorized.  

... might not be same same physical people as who released the original video but they are flying in the same direction which is how anon has defined themselves therefore it was anon regardless.

I'll  correct you by simply saying the direction is not similar, only the target is the same. You are basically comparing a group (anon) that did the equivalent of beating up your mail box, (or leaving a flamming bag of crap on your door step), to a group that potentially stole everything from your house, then burnt it down, piled up the ash and shit all over it.

While the target is the same, the method and how severe the damage is entirely different.

Galaki said:
Muhshuhu said:

I still blame sony though, such a large hole should have been caught in testing. They also should have been using a 256 bit encryption instead of a 128,  atleast for the credit information.

The thing I want to know is whether they encrypt the data at all, including passwords.

From all the breaches done before to banks, etc. They hackers got personal infos and not passwords because passwords are hashed etc.

Base on the news so far, it seems Sony store the passwords the same way as all the other pieces... i.e. plain text.

You actually bring up an interesting point and I could be wrong for trusting certain sources saying there was a 128 encryption. Because while 128 isn't the best, it is still pretty damn good, so for a group to decrypt that in only a couple of days seems highly unlikely.
[speculation]So assuming there even is an encryption, it means that these guys have had access longer than Sony thought and had be whittling away at the encryption. Or it was a old employee who knew and was involved or leaked the encryption that did this.[/speculation]
- Edit
You are indeed correct, the personal data was not encrypted at all.

Why does personal info matter if its encrypted? You do a basic search on my name and you get my FB account (Which is set to private)Myspace account. My user names for various things. You get my babys registry from babies r us and my girlfriends name. You do a yellow page search and you get my address and phone number.... So why does it matter is personal info is encrypted? You can get more stuff on a basic google search than you can on sonys network.

And sony never admitted in anything being stolen as far as Im aware. All ive read so far is them saying that their network has been breached and that there is a possibility of their customers personal info has been accessed. They say it was malicious. And in their eyes it was a malicious attack... But what was the hacker trying to accomplish? Maybe he was trying to add $10,000 to our psn wallets. Who is to say he breached the network to ssteal our identities.