By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Project Cafe/3DS and the abandoning of the consumer

I do think there is some truth in that Nintendo is changing directions with the 3DS, and if the rumors are true (a big if) with Cafe. On the other hand, I feel that when Wii came out early on the Nintendo executives talked a lot about customers moving "up-stream", where people who got into gaming through Wii Sports may play Mario or Zelda. So in many ways the 3DS and Cafe are the natural progression, where Nintendo feels they have attracted enough new gamers that their new consoles did not need to be disruptive (like Wii and DS) to be highly profitable and succesful.

Around the Network

Mario Galaxy was 'rejected' by the consumer? xD

Golden.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:

Golden.

Welcome to the current situation for Nintendo: if it sells less than 10 million it's a "failure". My generation everybody, how stupid we are

Play4Fun said:

People who are into gaming are not 'hardcore'. I don't really know what hardcore is but only a   minority of gamers consider themselves as such.

NSMBii is a bridge title.

All gamers started somewhere, most didn't just jump into gaming, they started out simple and spread out to more complex titles.

And also, stop with the 3D Mario is crap thing. SMG1/2 are considered two of the best  games this gen and regardless of wether you like it or not, millions do.

Old school 2D Mario is awesome but so is 3D mario.

NSMb is no bridge title, its an old school game, Nintendo's attempt at Bridge titles are Galaxy 2 and the upcoming 3DS Mario, trying to get the old school expanded audiene 2D Mario fans to move to 3D

Sure, but not all stayed when Nitnendo moved tothe SNES, and beyond, they left after NES, much the same will happen with Cafe, they cae for Wii, but won't go to cafe

Did 3D Mario move consoles, did it build momentum, no, so I stand by my points about it

Cheebee said:

Golden.

The truth always is golden

Sales of both Galaxy  games was less than NSMB, and ven less than Mario 64

and didn't move consoles

that's a rejection by the market

Around the Network
Aiddon said:
Cheebee said:

Golden.

Welcome to the current situation for Nintendo: if it sells less than 10 million it's a "failure". My generation everybody, how stupid we are

If it doesn't move consoles its a failure, has nothing to do with millions, if its a first party game and moves no consoles, it is no success, bu hey yo keep championing those Galaxy sales, which did nothing to propel the Wii

TruckOSaurus said:
axt113 said:
midorigreen said:
axt113 said:

Bridging the gap is a fool's errand

Just as 2D Mario fans will not necessarily be 3D mario fans, you cannot get old school expanded gamers to become hardcore gamers

yes the Wii hs been out less time than the PS2, but the way Nintendo has been treating  it the past few years, it won't be out as long as the PS2

So what you're saying is that 3D mario games should no longer be produced in favor of 2D mario games because 2D mario games sell better making all the 3D mario game sales by defalt worthless

Basically yeah, 3D Mario is a waste of time and resources that could be beter spent on other games

Yeah let's replace all titles that sold less than NSMBW by another 2D Mario

Mario Galaxy  becomes  NSMBW2

Metroid Prime 3 becomes NSMBW3

Super Smash Bros. Brawl becomes NSMBW4

Mario Galaxy 2 becomes NSMBW5

Kirby's Epic Yarn becomes NSMBW6

Donkey Kong Country Returns becomes NSMBW7

[...]

Do you really think Nintendo would be more successful using your strategy?

Did I say replace every game with just 2D mario (nice strawman though)?  I said the resources could be spent on other games old schools and expanded audience games, but hey, wasting money on Galaxy and Other M and the like really made Nitnendo successful, I mean look at how much those games tore up the sales charts and moved consoles

Oh wait, they didn't, in fact Wii is in a massive decline thanks to those games, but hey, Nintendo can do no wrong right?  right?

Mr Khan said:

This is where that whole "all first party games must be system sellers," line of thinking collapses

Not at all, lets see Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii play,  Mario Kart, sounds like other games can move consoles beyond just NSMB, and thre are no doubt many more they could have developed, that they never did, a better use of their resources

But you keep building those strawmen, and Nintendo keeps on flopping in sales by pursuing those games you keep supporting as necessary but that don't push hardware

Aiddon said:
Mr Khan said:

This is where that whole "all first party games must be system sellers," line of thinking collapses

Which is why Nintendo has very little it can learn from the public at this point

And why the sales of Wii and 3DS are failing

axt113 said:

And why the sales of Wii and 3DS are failing

Dear Buddha you're overly defensive. The Wii sales have just reached their peak is all, that's simple economics. And come back after XMas for the 3DS to judge "failing" since that's when it'll have more titles

PS: Keep saying strawman. If I take a shot every time you do so I think I'll be wasted within an hour