By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Project Cafe/3DS and the abandoning of the consumer

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

it's almost impossible for Nintendo to fail from now on.... they are too popular

i mean, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros, Mario 2D and 3D, Nintendogs , Pokemon and so on have become established like GTA for example

only a series of terrible 1st party games could take off the throne, i mean people will buy the new consoles just because of the exclusive Nintendo franchises

They won't fail in the sense of Sega, but they wil fail in the sense of SNES/N64/GCN where they experienced a huge decline

Around the Network
axt113 said:
Play4Fun said:
axt113 said:

Bridging the gap is a fool's errand

Just as 2D Mario fans will not necessarily be 3D mario fans, you cannot get old school expanded gamers to become hardcore gamers

yes the Wii hs been out less time than the PS2, but the way Nintendo has been treating  it the past few years, it won't be out as long as the PS2

Where'd you get that 'hardcore' crap from? No one is talking about making anyone 'hardcore'.

And no one is talking about old-school gamers either.

It talks about new gamers. People who came into gaming with the Wii.

It talked about converting the new gamers into loyalists, hence Hardcore, and my point is that that is a foolish attempt, since the new gamers are only gaming ecause of thei expanded and old school games, so unless you cater to them with more of those games, they will notstick around, they will not be bridged into loaylist gamers by 3D Mario and the like

People who are into gaming are not 'hardcore'. I don't really know what hardcore is but only a   minority of gamers consider themselves as such.

NSMBii is a bridge title.

All gamers started somewhere, most didn't just jump into gaming, they started out simple and spread out to more complex titles.

And also, stop with the 3D Mario is crap thing. SMG1/2 are considered two of the best  games this gen and regardless of wether you like it or not, millions do.

Old school 2D Mario is awesome but so is 3D mario.

axt113 said:
midorigreen said:
axt113 said:

Just as 2D Mario fans will not necessarily be 3D mario fans, you cannot get old school expanded gamers to become hardcore gamers

yes the Wii hs been out less time than the PS2, but the way Nintendo has been treating  it the past few years, it won't be out as long as the PS2

So what you're saying is that 3D mario games should no longer be produced in favor of 2D mario games because 2D mario games sell better making all the 3D mario game sales by defalt worthless

Basically yeah, 3D Mario is a waste of time and resources that could be beter spent on other games

Yeah let's replace all titles that sold less than NSMBW by another 2D Mario

Mario Galaxy  becomes  NSMBW2

Metroid Prime 3 becomes NSMBW3

Super Smash Bros. Brawl becomes NSMBW4

Mario Galaxy 2 becomes NSMBW5

Kirby's Epic Yarn becomes NSMBW6

Donkey Kong Country Returns becomes NSMBW7

[...]

Do you really think Nintendo would be more successful using your strategy?

Signature goes here!

Seriously, what is up with all these threads as of late, when we know next to nothing?

Sometimes I despair when I look at the Nintendo forum

MrT-Tar said:

Seriously, what is up with all these threads as of late, when we know next to nothing?

Sometimes I despair when I look at the Nintendo forum

It's the fun, crazy time before a new console revealed at the E3, take a cocktail and enjoy.

Around the Network

I somewhat agree, Nintendo is starting to divert back to the red ocean of horsepower and hardcore catered games. However, I believe this console has the potential to be sort of a modern SNES, as in, a red ocean console, but still highly successful and admired by many gamers of all kinds, and with a better library/stronger third party support.

While I don't think the console will be as successful as Wii, this no longer really matters to me as long as the library is strong. In other words, I would rather Nintendo have a 50 million selling console with phenomenal third and 1st party support, than the 100 million selling Wii with terrible third party support.

Look at it this way, if Nintendo slides TOO much, rest assured sooner or later they will have Gamecube like sales and once again they will be forced to adapt their strategy. Remember, the failures of the Gamecube is what caused Nintendo to pull their heads from their ass and eventually make the hugely successful Wii, by catering to the mass market and bringing the old school fundementals of gaming back. So such a thing could definitly happen again, if the market forces them to.

The market has this great way of humbling and knocking sense into companies when their own ego inflates too much for their own good. It happened to Sony towards the end of the PS3 lifecycle after their miserable start, and you can bet it will happen Nintendo again should they revert too heavilly back to the hardcore strategies of N64 and Gamecube.

TruckOSaurus said:
axt113 said:
midorigreen said:
axt113 said:

So what you're saying is that 3D mario games should no longer be produced in favor of 2D mario games because 2D mario games sell better making all the 3D mario game sales by defalt worthless

Basically yeah, 3D Mario is a waste of time and resources that could be beter spent on other games

Yeah let's replace all titles that sold less than NSMBW by another 2D Mario

Mario Galaxy  becomes  NSMBW2

Metroid Prime 3 becomes NSMBW3

Super Smash Bros. Brawl becomes NSMBW4

Mario Galaxy 2 becomes NSMBW5

Kirby's Epic Yarn becomes NSMBW6

Donkey Kong Country Returns becomes NSMBW7

[...]

Do you really think Nintendo would be more successful using your strategy?

This is where that whole "all first party games must be system sellers," line of thinking collapses

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

axt113 said:
midorigreen said:
axt113 said:

the problem with your reasoning is that if you were to rank the type of mario game that has sold the best this generation then that means nintendo should only be making mario kart games because the combined sales of mario kart wii and ds have out sold the combined sales of NSMB wii and ds.

so what your saying(based on what i have read so far) is that Nintendo should abandon any game that didnt sell over 10 million units and only focus on releasing sequels to those that did? all 7 or 8 of them? yeah, totally sounds like a winning strategy.

Mr Khan said:

This is where that whole "all first party games must be system sellers," line of thinking collapses

Which is why Nintendo has very little it can learn from the public at this point