By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Play4Fun said:

He just makes arguments without taking the market and tech into account.

PS4 will be a powerhouse, 10-20x more powerful than Wii 2. What about development costs? What about not wanting to bleed to much money like they did this gen? How do they put the kind of tech required for that in a box without melting it due to overheating?

Obviously I share your concerns, but that doesn't make him a fanboy by any stretch. I think he's wrong about this topic, yes, but he has a history of being reasonable.

Actually, I'm not sure I really think that he is wrong about what Sony and Microsoft will do. I just know that the results will be uglier than this year's NCAA basketball championship game, so I'm really hoping that he's wrong. It certainly doesn't seem like a rational course of action.

Around the Network
psrock said:

I will bet you right now the next PS3 will be at least 10-20x more powerful than the Wii2. 

Can I hold you to this?  As in you never return to this site if it does not come to pass?

I say this because even the PS3 is not 10-20x more powerful than the Wii itself.  At most it is 5x.

And considering the PS4 will not be the bleeding edge of tech the PS3 was at launch and the N6 will not just be the equivalent to an overclocked Wii, it is very easy to come to the conclusion that the PS4 will at best be twice as powerful as the N6.

And given the N6 intends to enable 1080p gaming at 60 hz, the extra horsepower from the PS4 would not be very appeciable.  And with cross platform game engines, shareable assets and modern shaders, you will see far more titles finding a home on all 3 consoles than we did this generation.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Play4Fun said:
noname2200 said:
Play4Fun said:

I step into this thread and find people wasting their time arguing with a Sony fanboy.

Why do people waste their time like this?

Who, psrock? He clearly favors Sony, and he makes no bones about it, but he's hardly a fanboy.

PS4 will be a powerhouse, 10-20x more powerful than Wii 2. What about development costs? What about not wanting to bleed to much money like they did this gen? How do they put the kind of tech required for that in a box without melting it due to overheating?

And then there's teh DreamCast thing. Most people seem ignorant on what caused Sega's downfall. The early launch was only a small part of it.

It's Sony we are talking about right? 

Sony always want to drive technology, trust me by 2013 when this thing comes out, tablets will be more powerful than PS3 or 360. If you think Sony is not going to be cutting edge, then you are not paying attention to this company. 

I owned the Dreamcast, I know why it fell apart, the games were amazing, but even had Sega stayed in the market, the Dreamcast could never compete with the ps2 when it comes to support. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I too think Sony and MS will put out powerful consoles, but they'll be more conservative with it. As powerful as people think NGP is, the PSP was more of a powerhouse than it is. The NGP is more conservative.

Next gen  engines will be scalable across all platforms. Nintendo is obviously working to get third parties on board like they did with 3DS. Third parties would love nothing more than another platform to port to and make more money on games they've sunk millions into.

When Sony and MS finish building their next gen console, they'll have  taken development costs into account because it is a BIG problem. Too many studios shut down this gen already.

psrock said:
Play4Fun said:
noname2200 said:
Play4Fun said:

I step into this thread and find people wasting their time arguing with a Sony fanboy.

Who, psrock? He clearly favors Sony, and he makes no bones about it, but he's hardly a fanboy.

And then there's teh DreamCast thing. Most people seem ignorant on what caused Sega's downfall. The early launch was only a small part of it.

Sony always want to drive technology, trust me by 2013 when this thing comes out, tablets will be more powerful than PS3 or 360. If you think Sony is not going to be cutting edge, then you are not paying attention to this company. 

I owned the Dreamcast, I know why it fell apart, the games were amazing, but even had Sega stayed in the market, the Dreamcast could never compete with the ps2 when it comes to support. 

Hardware power isn't the only way to push technology. have you seen NGP? Do you see the areas it pushes technology in? Sony will send out a powerful console but they will have to be more conservative because of problems third party devs are going through and they  will push tech into other areas, like system features and 3D.

How many devs do you see pushing PC hardware? IF Sony comes out with something as powerul as high end consoles (they can't because of overheating) devs aren't going to try to push it. They will develop on less expensive hardware and upport to their console.

We're not going to see consoles at $599. I doubt we'll see them at $499. $399 max or $450 if they want to push it.

Next gen will probably be less of a power battle and more of a feature battle.

Sony isn't stupid (except for PS3 =p) they don't just pack hardware into a box and release it. They analyse the market.

I'm sure the've learnt their lesson from PS3.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Play4Fun said:

Obviously I share your concerns, but that doesn't make him a fanboy by any stretch. I think he's wrong about this topic, yes, but he has a history of being reasonable.

Actually, I'm not sure I really think that he is wrong about what Sony and Microsoft will do. I just know that the results will be uglier than this year's NCAA basketball championship game, so I'm really hoping that he's wrong. It certainly doesn't seem like a rational course of action.

If I wrong I will take it like man, but I know  Sony, they don't care much about losing money on consoles. 

All you have to do is look at the NGP. This handheld will have hardware no other machine will have yet. It's as cutting edge as you get. And that's the PSP successor, think of a PS3 successor. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Play4Fun said:
psrock said:
Play4Fun said:
noname2200 said:
Play4Fun said:

Hardware power isn't the only way to push technology. have you seen NGP? Do you see the areas it pushes technology in? Sony will send out a powerful console but they will have to be more conservative because of problems third party devs are going through and they  will push tech into other areas, like system features and 3D.

How many devs do you see pushing PC hardware? IF Sony comes out with something as powerul as high end consoles (they can't because of overheating) devs aren't going to try to push it. They will develop on less expensive hardware and upport to their console.

How do have the nerve to call me out and say the NGP is conservative. 

Please show where ? 

Next Gen 

psrock said:
Play4Fun said:
psrock said:
Play4Fun said:
noname2200 said:
Play4Fun said:

Please show where ? 

The PSP was more of a powerhouse for its time than the NGP is. The biggest way NGP improves over PSP in hardware is all its control input options which is my point at Sony being able to push tech in other areas.

And I'm pretty sure Sony cares about losing billions (all profits made with PS1 and PS2) on PS3 this gen. They're a business after all.

u gota be kidding yourself if you think the ps4 and 720 are not  going to be powerhouses , their the high end consoles for a reason

Play4Fun said:
psrock said:
Play4Fun said:
psrock said:
Play4Fun said:
noname2200 said:
Play4Fun said:

Please show where ? 

The PSP was more of a powerhouse for its time than the NGP is. The biggest way NGP improves over PSP in hardware is all its control input options.

The PSP had nothing  to improve on though, but please show how conservative the NGP is?

Next Gen