By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Lots of bashing for the belief of God....

ProdigyBam said:

You will never hear such things about muslims, only about christians, because people are not afraid to bash a religion that is about love and peace. Many people hate their culture and everything what is included in that culture, such as religion, its the case here in germany among many people, most of them are left-winged, but they wont ever demonstrate against islamists or the political islam, altough that belief is very violent, just because it comes from somewhere else and people here only have the courage to bash everything that belongs to their own culture, even if it is good, but if you bash something from somewhere else, youre a racist. Like I said, thats only the case among many young people here in germany, I dont know if its the same case somewhere else.

Bahaha no. There are political organisations in the west that call for Islam to be banned, people burning Quarans etc. Islam, due to the attacks by radical Muslims, is extremely vilified in the west at the moment.

Generally you'll see on this board more atheists debating with Christians (and as such against Christian beliefs) because there are more Christians on these boards. In reality most atheists I know don't care what religion the person belongs to but what their beliefs within that religion are, for example most atheists find young earth creationist beliefs more silly than those who believe the Big Bang theory.

Around the Network
Rath said:
ProdigyBam said:

You will never hear such things about muslims, only about christians, because people are not afraid to bash a religion that is about love and peace. Many people hate their culture and everything what is included in that culture, such as religion, its the case here in germany among many people, most of them are left-winged, but they wont ever demonstrate against islamists or the political islam, altough that belief is very violent, just because it comes from somewhere else and people here only have the courage to bash everything that belongs to their own culture, even if it is good, but if you bash something from somewhere else, youre a racist. Like I said, thats only the case among many young people here in germany, I dont know if its the same case somewhere else.

Bahaha no. There are political organisations in the west that call for Islam to be banned, people burning Quarans etc. Islam, due to the attacks by radical Muslims, is extremely vilified in the west at the moment.

Generally you'll see on this board more atheists debating with Christians (and as such against Christian beliefs) because there are more Christians on these boards. In reality most atheists I know don't care what religion the person belongs to but what their beliefs within that religion are, for example most atheists find young earth creationist beliefs more silly than those who believe the Big Bang theory.

Not to derail the thread, but there are a surprising number of Muslims on VGC, or at least more than i would have assumed

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

The reason is quite simple:

A: Noone believes anything if they believe it to be wrong.

B: You have multiple contradicting wrong beliefs.

C: Conflict arises because of A and B.

Tease.

RCTjunkie said:
vlad321 said:

Religion gets bashed every time it can come around because there are still many, MANY places in the US which will gladly pass laws and provisions based on the belief in what was written in one fairy tale book or another.

Edit: Instead of practically and logic.

Calling these books "Fairy tales" and implying their lack of logic proves my point further.

Well I mean, in ALL of my talks, civilised talks, with religioous and non-religious people, no one has been able to tell me how the Bible, Qoran, other religious texts, are somehow different than fairies, unicorns, King Arthur, Robin Hood, etc. I can in fact make a stronger argument for dragons' existance specifically than any given god, or gods, that human kind has ever dreamed of.

You are now taking offense to a very simple, true, fact. Maybe you should accept the fallacies in your beliefs and still embrace them, over taking offense at simple truths.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:

Well I mean, in ALL of my talks, civilised talks, with religioous and non-religious people, no one has been able to tell me how the Bible, Qoran, other religious texts, are somehow different than fairies, unicorns, King Arthur, Robin Hood, etc. I can in fact make a stronger argument for dragons' existance specifically than any given god, or gods, that human kind has ever dreamed of.

You are now taking offense to a very simple, true, fact. Maybe you should accept the fallacies in your beliefs and still embrace them, over taking offense at simple truths.

What you say is completely true, but that applies for all beliefs, i.e. everything. Tell me anything that you think to be true and I'll be happy to try to make it sound as likely as the existence of a Pokemon.

You're clearly intending to offend by comparing religions to fairy tales, which are very often nowdays just a form of entertainment and are usually not held true by a lot of people.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network

I'm sorry I think everone should respect each other, but being black, gay, woman have all had the bible used against them for centuries. 

But, it's really hard to talk religion because my views would hurt your feelings. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

It's really easy. When a belief has the amount of influence that Christianity does and then the people who follow that belief spout stupid shit, pass stupid laws and are pretty much a fish hook that's dragging society back instead of allowing it progress, then it's really easy to find fault in the belief and critisize it, especially when someone elses belief effects the welfare of people who don't follow that belief. 

Christians are also the ones on the attack, when factual knowledge, progressive thought and non-christian values are brought into a discussion, they become extremely defensive and begin to reference their belief to prove their belief. You can't reference the Bible to prove Jesus is a real person, you can't reference the Bible to say the Earth is the centre of the Universe and you can't reference the Bible when making laws that prohibit same sex marriage, it'd be like referencing the Iliad to prove some point about the Trojan war.

A religion is also not a race, gender or sexual orientation, all those things aren't beliefs and the person has no control in the matter and also don't try to push those traits on to other people.To stay relevant, Christianity has to convert people, to do so, they also have to trick people into converting, convince their children from a young age to become Christians and pay their way into converting people that don't have the wealth, the knowledge or the desire to back back against it (it's the reason why travelling church groups freak me out, taking advantage of poorer countries, just so that they can push their religion on to others).

Then you have all the usual mumbo jumbo, Christianity promotes discrimination, more wars have been fought in the name of Christianity than any other non religous belief, backward thinking, pedophile priests, KKK, crazy Pope, spread of misinformation, reluctance to teach evolution in schools, ignorance, ridiculous amount of contradictions and hypocrisy, influence and Christians are usually hard to argue against, especially when they fall back on the 'It is what it is, because God says so' line.

That's my take anyway.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Immortal said:
vlad321 said:

What you say is completely true, but that applies for all beliefs, i.e. everything. Tell me anything that you think to be true and I'll be happy to try to make it sound as likely as the existence of a Pokemon.

You're clearly intending to offend by comparing religions to fairy tales, which are very often nowdays just a form of entertainment and are usually not held true by a lot of people.

Actually that's the thing. I don't believe in anything unless it has been observed. The simple fact is that in the grand scheme of things, if you go all the way back to the big bang, anything has absolutely 0 probability of ever happening. Furthermore, witout having any informatino from before the big bang, absolutely anything could have happened. Without any evidence, there is absolutely 0 chance that it is like anything anyone has ever come up with. So just out of pure statistics, all religions that have ever existed, and will exist that aren't based on some information, are just wrong.

It could be that there is one being, it could be that it is a race of beings. It could be that there never was a being to begin with. It could literally be an infinite amount of combinations of things, some of which we can't even be able to comprehend. That is what I believe. Go ahead and equate it to the existance of Pokemon, because I think I might be entertained by you trying.

P.S. Good quote. I will need to remind myself that I should equate religions to Pokemon. Not many of the people in the newer generation even know about fairy tales, but Pokemon is almost ubiquitous.

OT: I would also liek to point out that for centuries Christians used to demean, even kill, people for not believing. Yet the moment they come under attack "Oh no our poor feelings are hurt, stop it." Just an observation. I think religious people just need to man up, what they are going through is not even 1/1000th what others went through when a given religion was widely believed. There are also still places where people are demeaned and killed due to religious reasons.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you were very demeaning and sconrful towards people who do believe in fairy tales.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Silver-Tiger said:

The difference betweem race, gender and sexual orientation is that these are born traits of you.

Your belief, however is your choice, it's a way of life.

This.

Anyway what's great about the internet is that everybody's on equal ground from the get-go (except me who's avatar makes him above everybody else). It is your choice to bring race, gender, sexual orientation or religion in play and you must face the consequences.