By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So PS3 and 360 fans, how do you feel about the new Nintendo HD rumors?

So PS3 and 360 fans, how do you feel about the new Nintendo HD rumors?

So excited! Always liked ... 36 12.46%

Already was a Wii fan, HD... 52 17.99%

Wait and see, wasn't a f... 28 9.69%

Not excited,Nintendo just... 57 19.72%

Its coming too early, not... 45 15.57%

See poll results. 70 24.22%

Total:288
Runa216 said:

I just love how the poll subtley suggests the only reason PS3/360 owners would care abut nintendo is because it has HD, and that it matters.  I find it kind of insulting that people care so much about graphics.  Last I checked, Nintendo had the best reviewed and highest selling exclusives this generation.  (I did a lengthy comparison explaining that Nintendo had the best and highest selling exclusives)...

I care about gameplay, I like FUN games that have POLISH.  Not every game needs to be 600 hours long with endless multiplayer options and online crap. 

That said, I don't think we should be going to the next gen, because the Wii is just fine, it doesn't need HD, it just needs to make GOOD games. 

as a PC PS3 and Nintnedo fan i'd have to agree.

for me its about new great games and innovative ideas. graphic's are 5th behind those 2 gameplay and a good story arc.

maybe its the new age of graphic's over gameplay?

Around the Network

It doesn't really interest me for the most part.

Runa216 said:

I just love how the poll subtley suggests the only reason PS3/360 owners would care abut nintendo is because it has HD, and that it matters.  I find it kind of insulting that people care so much about graphics.  Last I checked, Nintendo had the best reviewed and highest selling exclusives this generation.  (I did a lengthy comparison explaining that Nintendo had the best and highest selling exclusives)...

I care about gameplay, I like FUN games that have POLISH.  Not every game needs to be 600 hours long with endless multiplayer options and online crap. 

That said, I don't think we should be going to the next gen, because the Wii is just fine, it doesn't need HD, it just needs to make GOOD games. 

Edit:  Double Post

It's fine with me if Nintendo releases a new system, but if that means MS and Sony releasing a new system by next year all be a little upset because it seems both HD consoles have a lot in them. I don't want this gen to end till atleast 2014.   

Runa216 said:

Lol what are you talking about?

How does the poll even in any way, shape, or form "subtley suggest that the HD is the only reason PS3 / 360 owners would care about Nintendo."  The only reason HD is even mentioned in the poll is because that is the ONLY thing we pretty much know for sure about the Wii 2.  Every other rumor is just speculation on different stuff but they all agree that its in HD.  Honestly the Wii hardware is far outdated, this isn't even up for debate or opinion it simply is, Nintendo themselves would admit it.

Did you even read the OP?  I even posted that the HD would be the least interesting factor to already HD twin owners since they already had it for years, to them HD wouldn't be anything new at all.  I specifically ask "What kinds of games will it take for you to buy one?"

Obviously hardware was one of the main reasons HD twin owners chose PS3 / 360 over the Wii.  This thread is targeted towards them, not the hardcore Nintendo fans.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
Euphoria14 said:

For one I think it is too early for the next gen.

Second, Nintendo needs to start giving us some new IPs. I have been seeing Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc... for over 20 years now. Time to try something new.

While I do hope they continue to make Mario, Metroid, Zelda and the rest I couldn't agree more.  In terms of software the number one thing that Nintendo needs next gen is strong brand new IP's.  You can only develop franchises for so long before people get bored with them, even the mighty Nintendo 1st party games.

Nintendo doesn't have the capacity, quite frankly. Look at the drought we're currently running in: every single first party Wii or 3DS game in the next quarter has been outsourced, and there's still nothing too big out there. Metroid is a waif franchise with no permanent home as it is, as are Star Fox and F-Zero.

They can't make new IPs

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
BenVTrigger said:
Euphoria14 said:

Second, Nintendo needs to start giving us some new IPs. I have been seeing Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc... for over 20 years now. Time to try something new.

While I do hope they continue to make Mario, Metroid, Zelda and the rest I couldn't agree more.  In terms of software the number one thing that Nintendo needs next gen is strong brand new IP's.  You can only develop franchises for so long before people get bored with them, even the mighty Nintendo 1st party games.

Nintendo doesn't have the capacity, quite frankly. Look at the drought we're currently running in: every single first party Wii or 3DS game in the next quarter has been outsourced, and there's still nothing too big out there. Metroid is a waif franchise with no permanent home as it is, as are Star Fox and F-Zero.

They can't make new IPs

Hmm I guess I never really thought too much about it but yeah your kind of right.  So what's the deal with Nintendo then?  Are their 1st party teams working on secret stuff or do they simply not have the man power?  I have noticed with the Wii that it has had some very long dry spells, in fact I think its suffored from some of the worst of any console ever but never really though too much why that is.  Any ideas?

BenVTrigger said:
Mr Khan said:
BenVTrigger said:
Euphoria14 said:

They can't make new IPs

Hmm I guess I never really thought too much about it but yeah your kind of right.  So what's the deal with Nintendo then?  Are their 1st party teams working on secret stuff or do they simply not have the man power?  I have noticed with the Wii that it has had some very long dry spells, in fact I think its suffored from some of the worst of any console ever but never really though too much why that is.  Any ideas?

Them providing adequate support to the DS simultaneously for one (to compare to Sony, who almost never mixes console and handheld teams, but then the handheld teams end up being the clearly inferior ones to the PSP's detriment), and two there just aren't that many teams in there.

Threads exist in the Nintendo discussion that discuss what their wholly-owned teams and usual affiliates could be working on, and there are a few teams who are MIA even considering a Wii-3DS split

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I think that Nintendo will have to amaze me for me to invest in another console. I'm perfectly happy with my HD consoles right now. What do we need, prettier graphics? Battlefield 3 anyone? I'm happy that they are releasing a new console, and I always love to see how any company has improved their games graphically, but Nintendo needs more than that. I have to agree with Pachter, unfortunately, and say that they should have released it either in 2009 or 2010. I highly doubt it will release this year, so we're probably looking at late 2012, which everyone seems to agree on. That gives Nintendo only 1 - 2 years to be the best looking console, if it is. People are getting tired of the gimmicky crap, and lets face it, great graphics cost money. If Nintendo price their console too high, they will completely alienate their core audience. On the other hand, they need to show us hardcore fans something worth making another large purchase. I'm not seeing them pulling it off. The only thing that would amaze me, which I think they might be planning in some fashion, is to play the game on the HD screen that is provided on the controller, without the console. If it worked great, and it didn't cost too much, and if they had a great line-up of games, and it wasn't plagued with gimmicky shovellware, I might think of picking one up. That's a lot of ifs! I wish Nintendo the best, I own a Wii and still actually play it (with my kids mostly)but I don't see myself buying their new console.

Mr Khan said:
BenVTrigger said:
Mr Khan said:
BenVTrigger said:
Euphoria14 said:

They can't make new IPs

Them providing adequate support to the DS simultaneously for one (to compare to Sony, who almost never mixes console and handheld teams, but then the handheld teams end up being the clearly inferior ones to the PSP's detriment), and two there just aren't that many teams in there.

Threads exist in the Nintendo discussion that discuss what their wholly-owned teams and usual affiliates could be working on, and there are a few teams who are MIA even considering a Wii-3DS split

Well as much as I love Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon and the rest Nintendo has no choice.  They either have to get some fresh blood and strong new IP or the company in the long run is going to face major backlash.  They have created truley iconic characters and fantastic franchises, but nothing really new since the 64, though I suppose the Gamecube may have a had a few.  The Wii outside of the "Wii" series had none.

They can't just make the same IP forever regardless of how strong the franchises are.