By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How big will the graphics jump from PS360 to PS4/720 be?

Next gen will be fucking crazy nice. Games won't run at 30 frames anymore, everything will be 1920x1080 at a usually stable 60 fps. DX11, much better anti-aliasing, screen tearing and everything will be almost extinct (with good coding),PCs have been doing this since 2007 now (supercomputers at that time especially for crysis) so in 2013-2014 consoles can do this easily. starting games of the gen will look like UC2 but in 60 fps. Things will be very nice then. Crysis is still the king of graphics 4 years running BF3 might finally surpass it (dont know why i included this sentence but oh well.)

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia

Around the Network

Most games will have the basic graphics only improve a little, instead we will hopefully see things like - better draw distance, native 1080p, less pop-in, better/more AA, more dynamic lighting and higher res shadows. 

In my opinion instead of pushing the graphics envolope, the next-gen consoles biggest improvments should aim to fix load times (shorter and fewer please), patches (no more day 1 patches let consoles download them in the background instead of when i boot up a game), complete intergration of features added this generation( taking screenshots, recording video, uploading video to youtube, custom in-game music), better management of game data (i want folders that separate game data and game saves via games not just throwing it all into folders game data and game saves). 

Ohh and i'm not sure what live is like when buying stuff (don't own a 360) but on PSN i want to have 2 separate download list, everything(demo's, trailers, etc) and bought items(maybe even divide it up, games, dlc). As for Wiiware, DSiware, DSiXLware and 3DSware - i want 1) a much faster service, 2) better interfaces 3) an account, having games tied to a single console sucks.

Khuutra said:
Slimebeast said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

Do you think that the jump from the PS360 to PS4/720 will be as large as the from ps2/xbox's jump to this gen was? Or will it be smaller. I personaly think that the next gen HD consol will be a significant jump from this gen the same as or even more than the jump from last gen.

It absolutely will.

The time between last gen and this gen was 5.5 years (the PS2 kicked off last gen in March 2000 and the X360 in Nov 2005)

This time around the difference will most likely be a whole 8 years between generations (from X360 in Nov 2005 to the Xbox 3 in Nov 2013). Even if next gen consoles might be designed slightly less powerful relatively speaking, those extra 2.5 years of improved graphics tech will make up for that and then some more, and ensure that the jump will be huge. At minimum it will be a 16 times increase in raw computing power from the X360 to the Xbox 3.

In late 2013 the most powerful PC GPUs on the market will be Radeon 9970s and Geforce GTX 880s, which will probably be at least twice as fast as the fastest single-GPU card today, the GTX580, and next gen console GPUs will be loosely based on those.

So do you think the PC graphics jump from Crysis to now has been as large as that from 2000-Crysis?

No, but what kind of a logic is behind that question?

2000 to Crysis is 200 to 2007 = 7 years.

Crysis to now is late 2007 to early 2011 = 3.5 years

Most importantly though Crysis the game mostly reflects evolution of graphics software tech (and a huge leap at it) rather than hardware tech, and there's simply been no better PC engine released yet. Usually graphics engines come in 4-5 years incrementations (is that a word?), almost as seldom as console hardware generations. Like UE3 is already 5 years old. id Tech 4 is already over 6 years old while id Tech 5 is not even out in a playable game. Source engine is almost 7 years old and we haven't even heard of a new iteration still.

Maybe i totally misunderstood your question Khuutra?

I think it depends on how much the respective console maker wants it to be.

Though they could potentially make a big leap, I dont think they will due to the cost of production on making such a console. So the actual difference wont be any where as much as it could be.

I cant say I blame them either. Take the current gen, Microsoft and Sony produced a pwerful console but the cost to buy it was high and even then they had to take a loss on each one sold. Where as Nintendo's Wii was only a small leap from the Gamecube but could be sold at a more competitive price while still making a profit, and look how that turned out between the three.

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

Slimebeast said:
Khuutra said:

So do you think the PC graphics jump from Crysis to now has been as large as that from 2000-Crysis?

No, but what kind of a logic is behind that question?

2000 to Crysis is 200 to 2007 = 7 years.

Crysis to now is late 2007 to early 2011 = 3.5 years

Most importantly though Crysis the game mostly reflects evolution of graphics software tech (and a huge leap at it) rather than hardware tech, and there's simply been no better PC engine released yet. Usually graphics engines come in 4-5 years incrementations (is that a word?), almost as seldom as console hardware generations. Like UE3 is already 5 years old. id Tech 4 is already over 6 years old while id Tech 5 is not even out in a playable game. Source engine is almost 7 years old and we haven't even heard of a new iteration still.

Maybe i totally misunderstood your question Khuutra?

No you are right it was a dumb question

Among other things I forgot when Crysis came out

Around the Network
zarx said:
Slimebeast said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

Do you think that the jump from the PS360 to PS4/720 will be as large as the from ps2/xbox's jump to this gen was? Or will it be smaller. I personaly think that the next gen HD consol will be a significant jump from this gen the same as or even more than the jump from last gen.

It absolutely will.

The time between last gen and this gen was 5.5 years (the PS2 kicked off last gen in March 2000 and the X360 in Nov 2005)

This time around the difference will most likely be a whole 8 years between generations (from X360 in Nov 2005 to the Xbox 3 in Nov 2013). Even if next gen consoles might be designed slightly less powerful relatively speaking, those extra 2.5 years of improved graphics tech will make up for that and then some more, and ensure that the jump will be huge. At minimum it will be a 16 times increase in raw computing power from the X360 to the Xbox 3.

In late 2013 the most powerful PC GPUs on the market will be Radeon 9970s and Geforce GTX 880s, which will probably be at least twice as fast as the fastest single-GPU card today, the GTX580, and next gen console GPUs will be loosely based on those.

I think Nvidia plans on doing more than doubling performance in the next 2 years...

Yeah I've seen that chart. Even if its over-promise on the time schedule it suggests a very bright future for graphics!

Potable_Toe said:

I think people are highly pessimistic in how much performance, and thus graphics along with other features, will be upgraded over this generation... truth be told there are many areas for graphics to improve upon over todays yardsticks. We will be seeing much more in the way of model details (Parallax Mapping/Tesselation enhancements etc...); Texture Resolution/detail and Lighting effects, if the console's come out in 2014 or later we could be lucky and see 'Ray-Tracing' in games. Plus other things such as massive amounts of FSAA & MSAA (360 can do 4x max and the PS3 can't do AA at all) and Volumetric items (Smoke/Water etc...).

Assuming the next Xbox and Play Station are released in the 2014/15 period we could be seeing consoles as much as 12 - 24 times as powerful as the 360/PS3 at around $250-$400 to produce mark from which we might expect retail prices to be $300 - $450 at launch either being sold for a small profit or breaking even, rather than having to sell at a massive loss in order to gain some ground and an acceptable pricepoint.

Another massive focus will be on making the systems as easy as possible to work with and develop for which will help to see a quality boost without increasing production costs to inhibitive levels.

... I was originally going to simply write "About this much" but that didn't end up happening :(

Great post.

And most people don't realize that in the long run stuff such as sophisticated mapping techniques, tesselation, polygon-counts, lighting, physics, surface and volumetric technology etc will mean much more for future graphics than screen resolution, framerate and anti-aliasing which are the features everyone argues about in this gen.

And the big dream is of course ray-tracing...

Next console gen will look so good. I am convinced it will look even better than the wonderful UE3 Samaritan demo:

They can improve the overall quality of the games i.e. they run better and look generally nicer but other than that it will be other functionality surrounding things such as motion and the media hub. The next console will be more rounded overall.

Will this be enough for us to buy...Nope so they will probably wait a while. I liken the change in graphics to us currently being in upscaled DVD quality to the move to full HD, yes it is better but is it enough and I think many will think no.

With all this in mind I think the next gen is gonna have to be a lot more innovative and graphics and power in general is not going to the be the draw. The draw will be whatever they offer as the complete package.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

I don't think it'll be quite so huge a leap but there will be a decent leap. I expect it will be more about smoothing out performance issues with games running at 1080p and 60fps as a minimum standard.

It's just logical that as time goes by the leaps get smaller, because we're talking about something with a finite limit. It's all about the pursuit for photo-realism, so once we get there, what next?

VGChartz

i think next gen console will be like current gen most hi-end pc level only, cause pc will always be higher...