By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How big will the graphics jump from PS360 to PS4/720 be?

The graphics will make the gamez better and much more fun to play. Why let's go beyond 1080p.

Around the Network

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

Damn, I hope I can try this before I die, I can then die happy.

Right now games are mostly 720 p at 30 FPS. Next Gen I hope to see almost every game to be native 1080 p at a stable 60 fps. 

Slimebeast said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

Do you think that the jump from the PS360 to PS4/720 will be as large as the from ps2/xbox's jump to this gen was? Or will it be smaller. I personaly think that the next gen HD consol will be a significant jump from this gen the same as or even more than the jump from last gen.

It absolutely will.

The time between last gen and this gen was 5.5 years (the PS2 kicked off last gen in March 2000 and the X360 in Nov 2005)

This time around the difference will most likely be a whole 8 years between generations (from X360 in Nov 2005 to the Xbox 3 in Nov 2013). Even if next gen consoles might be designed slightly less powerful relatively speaking, those extra 2.5 years of improved graphics tech will make up for that and then some more, and ensure that the jump will be huge. At minimum it will be a 16 times increase in raw computing power from the X360 to the Xbox 3.

In late 2013 the most powerful PC GPUs on the market will be Radeon 9970s and Geforce GTX 880s, which will probably be at least twice as fast as the fastest single-GPU card today, the GTX580, and next gen console GPUs will be loosely based on those.

I think Nvidia plans on doing more than doubling performance in the next 2 years...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

I wouldn't say too big of a jump. The average would be uncharted 2 or killzone 3 graphics. I really have no idea about this. Just a stupid guess.

Crysis 2 level for all games!

Not, probably just higher FPS and better draw distance and what not. I haven't seen any huge jumps on my friends beefy PC.

It's just that simple.

I don't know ... this sort of question is kind of like a wait and see answer.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

I think people are highly pessimistic in how much performance, and thus graphics along with other features, will be upgraded over this generation... truth be told there are many areas for graphics to improve upon over todays yardsticks. We will be seeing much more in the way of model details (Parallax Mapping/Tesselation enhancements etc...); Texture Resolution/detail and Lighting effects, if the console's come out in 2014 or later we could be lucky and see 'Ray-Tracing' in games. Plus other things such as massive amounts of FSAA & MSAA (360 can do 4x max and the PS3 can't do AA at all) and Volumetric items (Smoke/Water etc...).

Assuming the next Xbox and Play Station are released in the 2014/15 period we could be seeing consoles as much as 12 - 24 times as powerful as the 360/PS3 at around $250-$400 to produce mark from which we might expect retail prices to be $300 - $450 at launch either being sold for a small profit or breaking even, rather than having to sell at a massive loss in order to gain some ground and an acceptable pricepoint.

Another massive focus will be on making the systems as easy as possible to work with and develop for which will help to see a quality boost without increasing production costs to inhibitive levels.

... I was originally going to simply write "About this much" but that didn't end up happening :(

anything beyond this will be amazing