By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY: PS3 over 50m units sold and 8m MOVE units sold.

Best 3rd place ever

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
CGI-Quality said:
Euphoria14 said:

Just my take on what CGI said, if of course it hasn't been mentioned.

The rebound of the PS3 this gen does have a very good chance of insuring a strong future for the Playstation brand and this is why I think it is so.

Regardless of what happened at the start the PS3 has the chance right now to finish off this generation as the strongest console sales wise and library wise. Coming into what could be the home stretch the PS3 looks to be the strongest. All of this while also being the most expensive console with an entry point ~$100 more than it's competitors.

Finishing strong helps at the start of next gen rather than the strong start and weak finish. 

PS3 could have the momentum going into the next generation, especially now with their stacked 1st party.

This is of course unless they pull another $599.99 disaster out of their hats. However what has happened so far this gen only goes to show the brand power the Playstation has.

Seems you're the only other person that got it (save for Carl & M.U.G.E.N.). I'm not painting Sony's situation with triumphs and roses, I'm saying they're beginning to make the best out of a bad situation and that leaves hope for less misfortunes of the magnitude of the PS3 in the future.

Er... I agreed with you.    Despite what you are writing elsewhere...  

I didn't necessarily disagree either! :P

Acevil said:
Euphoria14 said:
Acevil said:
Euphoria14 said:

The rebound of the PS3 this gen does have a very good chance of insuring a strong future for the Playstation brand and this is why I think it is so.

Regardless of what happened at the start the PS3 has the chance right now to finish off this generation as the strongest console sales wise and library wise. Coming into what could be the home stretch the PS3 looks to be the strongest.

Finishing strong helps at the start of next gen rather than the strong start from the others.

PS3 could have the momentum going into the next generation, especially now with their stacked 1st party.

I don't necessarily disagree with CGI, however I don't think it will be the strongest console sales wise or library wise at the end of this generation.

It seems library wise 360 is considered winning and greatly so, while sales wise, it would be hard to beat nintendo. If any manufacture comes out looking the strongest I would think it would be microsoft with renewed third party relations. In terms of momentum, I wouldn't know exactly, since it seems generations don't necessarily carry momentums, when you have stiff competition.

However, being a fan of the product, I would most likely buy sony's next generation product in a heart beat (after one full year :P).

When I say strongest sales wise I do not mean overall LTD, I mean that going into the start of next gen the PS3 will continue to be the strongest seller on a weekly basis worldwide. However I still believe the PS3 will finish near the top overall when it comes off the market.

As for 360 having the strongest library going into next generation, what makes you think this?

Not meaning to upset anybody but Microsoft has a very weak 1st party and 3rd party exclusivity may be going the way of the dinosaur. What if they can't insure top 3rd party exclusive support what will ride them through the next generation? Just going to rely on multiplats? The next system has the chance of lacking and identity of it's own compared to the next Nintendo or Sony console. MS could rely on multiplats now because they have already built a large enough base for this generation, but early on next gen they could suffer from their lack of in house studios.

I am also going on the assumption that PS3 has the strongest library because I believe it has won awards for best gaming library 2 of the last 3 years and will probably do it again this year and if fo that will be 3 of the last 4 years.

As for Nintendo games and the sales. Do I believe Nintendo games this gen have been their best? No, but you know what? Nobody can ever deny the strength of their brands like Mario, Donkey Kong or Zelda. I always expect their 1st party titles to rack in the most sales.

However sales do not determine quality and many seem to believe the PS3, when exclusives and multiplats are considered, has the most quality games overall.

Quality is subjective, I am just going on what the media is saying and my personal opinion on the libraries considering I had a taste of all this generation has had to offer.

The thing is, i think Microsoft has been smart this generation, on making their brand at least in terms of North America, really sucessful, and the third party will remain, because the relationship that have been formed is really strong. The problem for Microsoft really lies with Japan, and their situation in that market. EMEAA seems to be coin flip, with brands shifting back and forth. Microsoft relationship with Activision, is also something that might have to be watched out for, and see what happens in that market. They also most likely will form more exclusives, like they did in the start of this generation (why I originally bought a 360, when I dislike the xbox brand). 

Thanks for clarifying the statement about library, was some what confused. While I personally feel it is the strongest, I always see media favoring 360 in terms of library and in terms of console of choice, one reason or another. Even in metacritic you will see that 360 gets reviewed favourably over the same game. 

I still am not sure about the top statement. I think ps3 will have trouble reaching 100 million milestone, but I am not sure what 3 years down the line might be. 

Of course quality is subjective, and I agree with the general sentiment, just not the overall statement. 

I must disagree with the library. There are far too many PS3 exclusives now which are considered to be AAA titles (Uncharted, Killzone, LBP, Heavy Rain, GT, R&C to name a few) versus the 360 offering (Gears of War, Halo, Alan Wake, Forza). Multi-plat has been in 360's favour withd evelopment but the games are reaching equilibrium between them.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

kowenicki said:
Acevil said:
kowenicki said:
CGI-Quality said:
Euphoria14 said:

Regardless of what happened at the start the PS3 has the chance right now to finish off this generation as the strongest console sales wise and library wise. Coming into what could be the home stretch the PS3 looks to be the strongest. All of this while also being the most expensive console with an entry point ~$100 more than it's competitors.

Finishing strong helps at the start of next gen rather than the strong start and weak finish. 

This is of course unless they pull another $599.99 disaster out of their hats. However what has happened so far this gen only goes to show the brand power the Playstation has.

Seems you're the only other person that got it (save for Carl & M.U.G.E.N.). I'm not painting Sony's situation with triumphs and roses, I'm saying they're beginning to make the best out of a bad situation and that leaves hope for less misfortunes of the magnitude of the PS3 in the future.

Er... I agreed with you.    Despite what you are writing elsewhere...  

I didn't necessarily disagree either! :P

I know...  

All well that ends well I guess, I just love arguing in a civil manner! :P

CGI-Quality said:
ZaneWane said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Run 360, run.

Why would 360 have to run from shipped numbers

A better question is why are you always so negative towards anything Sony?

OT: A milestone indeed. May it continue on as long as it can!

I am not familiar with ZaneWane in general, but it is quite clear he didn't start the negativity or console warring there...

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Euphoria14 said:

I also believe that people keep using the bad start to this generation as a reason to keep knocking down what Sony has accomplished or rather what momentum they could now bring into the following gen considering how they have done things that no other console has done before.

Yes the PS3 started bad, Sony fucked up and the console ALMOST could have died.

But that was 4-5 years ago. It is time to move on.

Ex fucking actly!

its like knocking 360 success because of the catastrophic xbox1 performance, thats already passed its behind us.

Euphoria14 said:

I also believe that people keep using the bad start to this generation as a reason to keep knocking down what Sony has accomplished or rather what momentum they could now bring into the following gen considering how they have done things that no other console has done before.

Yes the PS3 started bad, Sony fucked up and the console ALMOST could have died.

But that was 4-5 years ago. It is time to move on.

Only question, since I do this for every console by the way. Shouldn't a console success be governed by the total life span of the console, and the total profit-loss gain of that product? 

Unless an organization is a non-profit organization in which case, awareness, and other things are measurement of success.  

BTW when does the actual quarter reports from the big 3 comes out?

I think fanboys in general over-analyze sunk costs.  Executives / investors view them differently than fanboys do.

The fact remains that Sony went from being down in the dumps at the beginning of the gen to being the #1 selling home console (on a weekly basis) at the end of the generation.  No console has ever done that.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Acevil said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Acevil said:
Euphoria14 said:

Regardless of what happened at the start the PS3 has the chance right now to finish off this generation as the strongest console sales wise and library wise. Coming into what could be the home stretch the PS3 looks to be the strongest.

Finishing strong helps at the start of next gen rather than the strong start from the others.

I don't necessarily disagree with CGI, however I don't think it will be the strongest console sales wise or library wise at the end of this generation.

It seems library wise 360 is considered winning and greatly so, while sales wise, it would be hard to beat nintendo. If any manufacture comes out looking the strongest I would think it would be microsoft with renewed third party relations. In terms of momentum, I wouldn't know exactly, since it seems generations don't necessarily carry momentums, when you have stiff competition.

However, being a fan of the product, I would most likely buy sony's next generation product in a heart beat (after one full year :P).

I typed a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG response to you about ps3 and NGP etc etc...only for VGC to eff up and it vanished :( lol i'm too lazy to type it all again so yeah lol I'll leave it at that

just curious why is 360 winning library wise?

I was sort of confused on what metric the user was using, but in terms of the only measurable metric, I would say software sales seem stronger, but I thought it might be about quality titles as well, which I assumed that 360 still has more titles ranked 80 , 90 compared to ps3, but I don't like the rating method. 

I disagree.

PS3 had today more diversity and ranked over 80 games... there are no comparison here.