By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY: PS3 over 50m units sold and 8m MOVE units sold.

CGI-Quality said:
Acevil said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:

No worries. You have my respect for recognizing and acknowledging the error. Some posters here (won't mention any names) would never do that.

Ive lived long enough to know I make mistakes. We are all human. :(

I wanted to be a Jedi though. ;)

Don't we all...

I rather be sith, atleast in terms of the power they have. Force Lightning and Force Drain FTW!

Yeah, but Sith's are the "bad people". Who on Earth would want to be one of them?

Anakin Skywalker  .

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Acevil said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:

No worries. You have my respect for recognizing and acknowledging the error. Some posters here (won't mention any names) would never do that.

Ive lived long enough to know I make mistakes. We are all human. :(

I wanted to be a Jedi though. ;)

Don't we all...

I rather be sith, atleast in terms of the power they have. Force Lightning and Force Drain FTW!

Yeah, but Sith's are the "bad people". Who on Earth would want to be one of them?

The power! Force Drain mastered is just pure ownage. 

ethomaz said:

atma998 said:

Please not another thread derailed by GT5 sales. Btw why compare GT5 to GT4? If you want to make a valid comparison then you'll have to compare its sales to GT3 cause the first iteration of a franchise on a new HW is always selling better. The same goes for FFXIII...

You know GT3 was bundled with every PS2 in US... EMEAA and Japan numbers are similar between GT3 and GT4... just Americas was crazy huge in GT3 because that bundles.

There are no change to comparte GT5 in Americas with GT3 in Americas.

Doesnt change the fact that every new iteration of an established franchise on a new HW sells better. So in the end it would be more appropriate to compare GT5 to GT3, FFXIII to FFX, MGS4 to MGS2, etc.

It is just common knowledge for any experienced VGC member. Some posters here (won't mention any names), even if they know that as a fact, won't ever recognize it cause it could makes their favorite games look bad in terms of sales.

Dont' get me wrong, there are some very good example of successful franchise this gen (Halo, Uncharted, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., Dragon Quest and even God of War) but some others are just failing to sell as good as it did in the past and some people should just realize that.

selnor said:

Ive not hit and run anything. 

FACT I had a 3 year warranty when I bought my 360 in May 2006. FACT.

Yes there were lots on Ebay. But over 400,000. No just no.

Since when did we ever on VGC say shipped was sold. I have been on VGC a LONG time. And we have never refferred to shipped numbers as sold. NEVER. Move has shipped 8 million units. ( Which as Sony said themselves in the follow up statement to the 4 million statement that they count Move units. Which is just the wands and thumbstick. So the userbase could be anything?

And I would love to make a bet with you. GT5 will be the lowest selling in the franchise by over 2 million.

I simply leveled the crazy arse posts in this thread about 360. Because certain people tried to pass the 360 off as rubbish sales. But yet forget that PS3 was the first BluRay player on the market and the cheapest for over year. How many people bought one purely as a BluRay player? How many rebought their PS3 when Slim launched ( I know 2 out of 3 people that did ).

My point is this. Which I will reiterate because you have missed it entirely but chose to see the red mist.

Selnors point: It's to hard to tell what actual console sales for either PS3 or 360 are genuine game buyers or movie buffs. To hard to tell how many just rebought dodgy systems or actually used there warranties. Who knows. But the thread was about Move units SHIPPED. And should stay that way. Some of these new people on here trying to pass off shipped numbers as sold is crazy. Do they think the long term VGC users are that thick????????

1st Bold -  You yourself later said this applied to EU customers.  But did American (you know, where the 360 has sold the most) customers get this kind of forced extension?  No.

2nd Bold - Sony has already stated this before.  When they speak of Move units sold, they are speaking specifically about the Move wands, NOT the wands plus Nav controllers.  Actually, I think you were corrected on this before.

atma998 said:
ethomaz said:

atma998 said:

Please not another thread derailed by GT5 sales. Btw why compare GT5 to GT4? If you want to make a valid comparison then you'll have to compare its sales to GT3 cause the first iteration of a franchise on a new HW is always selling better. The same goes for FFXIII...

You know GT3 was bundled with every PS2 in US... EMEAA and Japan numbers are similar between GT3 and GT4... just Americas was crazy huge in GT3 because that bundles.

Doesnt change the fact that every new iteration of an established franchise on a new HW sells better. So in the end it would be more appropriate to compare GT5 to GT3, FFXIII to FFX, MGS4 to MGS2, etc.

It is just common knowledge for any experienced VGC member. Some posters here (won't mention any names), even if they know that as a fact, won't ever recognize it cause it could makes their favorite games look bad in terms of sales.

Dont' get me wrong, there are some very good example of successful franchise this gen (Halo, Uncharted, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., Dragon Quest and even God of War) but some others are just failing to sell as good as it did in the past and some people should just realize that.

Sorry but what you said is not a fact.

1. GT5 is the first game this gen... Prologue was.

2. GT3 is heavy bundled... GT5 not... it's like compare any game with Wii Sports.

3. GT5 is selling better than GT3 except Japan (GT5 is bad here) and Americas (GT3 is bundled here).

Around the Network
Seece said:
psrock said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:

The poor sales of GT5 compared to previous GT games says alot.

People need to get a perspective on all this. This gen is far from straight forward numbers wise.

Interesting that you say this -

GT4 20th week: 21,530 - (EMEAA total): 3,058,666

GT5 20th week: 10,618 - (EMEAA total): 3,823,463

Being just 10k behind GT4 weekly (while being nearly 800k ahead in all of EMEAA) doesn't sound like "selling poor" compared to previous GT titles (and since we don't the sell rate of GTs 1-3, GT4 is all we have to go on). In Japan, yes GT5 is behind pretty heavily, but it is up in EMEAA to not only make up the difference, but be ahead WW by quite a margin in the same time frame. It's also right there with GT4 in the Americas for week 20 and is ahead of GT4 in total Americas sales in the same time frame (GT4 after 20 weeks: 1,643,321/GT5 after 20 weeks: 1,692,078). Lets not make this sound like something it isn't.

I agree with you on one thing though, people do need to get a perspective on things.

That was the whole argument, only Sony, MS ands Nintendo can tell us actual numbers by the amount they ship. Guess work on what we think numbers are rarely accurate on telling the actual userbase. I agree, it's  obvious Move does not have 8 million just like 360 doesnt have 50 million or PS3 49 million. The only numbers these comapnies care about is the amount they sell.

Not at all.

HW is only one portion of the pie, they care about how many people they can sell SW too. Especially other devs.

Thankfully, 3rd party devs arnt stupid, and they realise that when pitching a new move game, it's not to 8 million possible consumers, it's 4/5, which could make all the difference.

Sony hasn't put out a killer app for Move yet thus the reason software is suffering. The best Move game is bundled with it.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:

People need to get a perspective on all this. This gen is far from straight forward numbers wise.

Being just 10k behind GT4 weekly (while being nearly 800k ahead in all of EMEAA) doesn't sound like "selling poor" compared to previous GT titles (and since we don't the sell rate of GTs 1-3, GT4 is all we have to go on). In Japan, yes GT5 is behind pretty heavily, but it is up in EMEAA to not only make up the difference, but be ahead WW by quite a margin in the same time frame. It's also right there with GT4 in the Americas for week 20 and is ahead of GT4 in total Americas sales in the same time frame (GT4 after 20 weeks: 1,643,321/GT5 after 20 weeks: 1,692,078). Lets not make this sound like something it isn't.

I agree with you on one thing though, people do need to get a perspective on things.

That was the whole argument, only Sony, MS ands Nintendo can tell us actual numbers by the amount they ship. Guess work on what we think numbers are rarely accurate on telling the actual userbase. I agree, it's  obvious Move does not have 8 million just like 360 doesnt have 50 million or PS3 49 million. The only numbers these comapnies care about is the amount they sell.

Not at all.

HW is only one portion of the pie, they care about how many people they can sell SW too. Especially other devs.

Thankfully, 3rd party devs arnt stupid, and they realise that when pitching a new move game, it's not to 8 million possible consumers, it's 4/5, which could make all the difference.

Sony hasn't put out a killer app for Move yet thus the reason software is suffering. The best Move game is bundled with it.

Wait until E3. They've always got new reveals for the PSP and peripherals then. Can't wait to see what that new exclusive is going to be that PS3 got for the year.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:

Not at all.

Wait until E3. They've always got new reveals for the PSP and peripherals then. Can't wait to see what that new exclusive is going to be that PS3 got for the year.

We will probly see AGENT first gameplay and the likes of starhawk and Quantic dreams 2 new game in the works.

XxXProphecyXxX said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:

Not at all.

We will probly see AGENT first gameplay and the likes of starhawk and Quantic dreams 2 new game in the works.

Theres also rumors of Heavenly Sword 2 as well floating around.

ethomaz said:
atma998 said:
ethomaz said:

atma998 said:

Sorry but what you said is not a fact.

1. GT5 is the first game this gen... Prologue was.

2. GT3 is heavy bundled... GT5 not... it's like compare any game with Wii Sports.

3. GT5 is selling better than GT3 except Japan (GT5 is bad here) and Americas (GT3 is bundled here).

1. Prologue was a DEMO, so yeah GT5 was indeed the first iteration of the current gen.

2. I didnt know GT3 was bundled like Wii Sports was...If that was the case then why its sales are not over 100M units sold?

3. If I get your point, you're saying GT5 is only selling better in a couple of european countries than GT3. So in the end GT3 sold way better than GT5 worldwide.

Now is it easier to compare GT5 to GT4 because of the data accessibility? Yes. Is it relevant to do so? No, unless you ignore the whole concept of a first iteration on new HW, which would be like ignoring how video games sales are working.

Taking that into account, GT5 sales arent impressive at all. It's sad but it's still the reality.