By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY: PS3 over 50m units sold and 8m MOVE units sold.

selnor said:

Oh my goodness. This is crazy.

Everyone needs to get a grip.

This thread is about Move. 

We know as a FACT that Sony gives it's shipped numbers on Move as any Move product. Not just 1 actual user Move sale. The very very very high chance that less than 3-4 million individual users have Move is the absolute best estimate anyone can make. It's educated and very highly probable. 

As for the whole lets attack M$ actual 360 sales because Move sales are bad is pathetic.

Ok so of course there is some people who would have bought a new 360 again. However since the 2nd week of the 360 being out M$ have been repairing free. Then after the first 6 month period they did 3 year warranty. I think many people are trying to make out this is Millions of people who didnt get theres replaced free. It's more realistically around 400,000. I'm sure everyone else had a brain.

Also dont forget Sony had PS3 Slim out early. The sales rose with PS3Slim. Many original PS3 users rebought there system as a Slim. The poor sales of GT5 compared to previous GT games says alot. In fact software sales of PS3 games are not as high as 360 games nor are the games which should be actually that much higher at all. What about PS3 being the cheapest BluRay Player for over a year? Lots of people bought one and do not use it for games.

People need to get a perspective on all this. This gen is far from straight forward numbers wise.

You really should do some research before you start spouting things as fact.  It wasn't until July 5, 2007 that MS started the 3 yr warranty.  That's 1 year and 8 months from its original realease in the States and 1 year and 7 months from its EU/Japan release.  That's hardly 6 months.  You also have to factor in those whose warranty are up now.  Realistically speaking, the people who bought a new one, thinking MS was right in that RROD was not a big deal or user caused and/or their 3 yr warranty was up/didn't cover their defect, is more likely somewhere in the millions.  But really, I don't care and will still be going by shipped numbers to determine when the PS3 surpasses the 360, but it is irritating when 360 fans wish to ignore these facts and that MS had everyone's back who had a defective 360. 

And you are right, this is thread is about the success of the PSMove.  Shipping over 8 million units, probably over 7 million sold, and probably in ~5-6 million homes in 6 months is very good, indeed.  I really only went off topic to address someone else's off topic personal assumption. 

Oh, and as far as GT5 sales go, let's wait for PD official numbers in the next few weeks, ok?  (Wait, whats does GT5 have to do with Move?  A little off topic, know?)

Around the Network
psrock said:
selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thismeintiel said:
Seece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:

LOL userbase is closer to 35/40 mill ... are you kidding ..

That stupid equation aside, it's not about what's active, it's about how many consumers have bought the product.

This is true. The three year warranty for the consumers who bought the 360's is up, unless they bought 360's a year or so after Microsoft announced the three year warranty.

We know as a FACT that Sony gives it's shipped numbers on Move as any Move product. Not just 1 actual user Move sale. The very very very high chance that less than 3-4 million individual users have Move is the absolute best estimate anyone can make. It's educated and very highly probable. 

As for the whole lets attack M$ actual 360 sales because Move sales are bad is pathetic.

Ok so of course there is some people who would have bought a new 360 again. However since the 2nd week of the 360 being out M$ have been repairing free. Then after the first 6 month period they did 3 year warranty. I think many people are trying to make out this is Millions of people who didnt get theres replaced free. It's more realistically around 400,000. I'm sure everyone else had a brain.

Also dont forget Sony had PS3 Slim out early. The sales rose with PS3Slim. Many original PS3 users rebought there system as a Slim. The poor sales of GT5 compared to previous GT games says alot. In fact software sales of PS3 games are not as high as 360 games nor are the games which should be actually that much higher at all. What about PS3 being the cheapest BluRay Player for over a year? Lots of people bought one and do not use it for games.

People need to get a perspective on all this. This gen is far from straight forward numbers wise.

This is what I call a hit and run post. You made everything up, there's not one fact, one good guess in that post.

Your points : Move is flop

answer: 8 million sold in six months

your point:MS offered 3year warrenty after 6 months.

answer: MS  denied RROD for almost a year. there tons of these systems on ebay, even those repaired, because they kept getting rrod, had to be changed to new ones. It was the outcry of so many people's console being rrod on a daily basis that forced MS to take action, by then millions had been affected. I would say at least 40 % if not more of the new Slim going to existing owners,

Your point: GT5 not selling as well as previous GT games. This one is funny because it's ahead of GT4 right now, lol.

MS sells more software than Sony:

MS does not release their software totals, the only numbers we know for sure is ms beat them in the US, and is about 100m ahead by VGchartz numbers which is basicly amount to that year head start the 36 had.

I'll be waiting for your answer.

Please not another thread derailed by GT5 sales. Btw why compare GT5 to GT4? If you want to make a valid comparison then you'll have to compare its sales to GT3 cause the first iteration of a franchise on a new HW is always selling better. The same goes for FFXIII...

Doobie_wop said:
Acevil said:
Max King of the Wild said:

Any move product? That would mean Eyes, navs, and wands... that has been a debate and as i am aware has never been confirmed.  And there is no logic in that guess. just assumptions he knows what sony reports.

my questions stand

Any move product typically means the move product also known as the Wand. 

I'm confused, didn't Sony specifically say in their last press release that the numbers only included the wand? They did not include the eye or nav. I may be wrong, but I remember it based on an argument some people were having back then. It's the 4 million sold press release by the way, may have been at the beginning of the year.

OP: Good job I guess, but we all knew that as soon as the Slim released, it was going to reach 50 million anyway. The 8 million Move thing is cool, because it's profitable for them at least, otherwise it's a piece of motion controller nonsense and I haven't seen a single game worth playing with it.

That is exactly what I said, Move product = Wands. Typically one user might buy two wands, this why saying something like 4-6 million userbase might be accurate from 8 million shipped. (I know selnor said 3-4).

Acevil said:
Doobie_wop said:
Acevil said:
Max King of the Wild said:

Any move product? That would mean Eyes, navs, and wands... that has been a debate and as i am aware has never been confirmed.  And there is no logic in that guess. just assumptions he knows what sony reports.

my questions stand

Any move product typically means the move product also known as the Wand. 

I'm confused, didn't Sony specifically say in their last press release that the numbers only included the wand? They did not include the eye or nav. I may be wrong, but I remember it based on an argument some people were having back then. It's the 4 million sold press release by the way, may have been at the beginning of the year.

OP: Good job I guess, but we all knew that as soon as the Slim released, it was going to reach 50 million anyway. The 8 million Move thing is cool, because it's profitable for them at least, otherwise it's a piece of motion controller nonsense and I haven't seen a single game worth playing with it.

That is exactly what I said, Move product = Wands. Typically one user might buy two wands, this why saying something like 4-6 million userbase might be accurate from 8 million shipped. (I know selnor said 3-4).

Ah, ok, Selnors wording made it seem as if he was including all Move devices into that number. I'm sure the poster above had a similar issue. His 3.5 million userbase number didn't exactly help.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

my prediction came true. well i predicted march or early april but i was leanning tword march. im always over predicting. better safe then srry.

thats 1 for the yr.

Around the Network
selnor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
thismeintiel said:
Seece said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
Seece said:

LOL userbase is closer to 35/40 mill ... are you kidding ..

That stupid equation aside, it's not about what's active, it's about how many consumers have bought the product.

How many consumers have bought 2,3, 4 360's, how many consumers have had the 360's replaced by MS, how many have ugraded to the new slim version. You see, the same way you can put equation into Move, we can do the same for other consoles. The simple fact is, you don't know  the actual userbase of Move. 

Very thin veiled excuses psrock.

Ioi seems to be tracking Move very well, he correctly predicted 7/8 mill shipped around March 1st, he estimates about a 4/5 mill userbase. So I'm going with that. after it's better than "oh, we just don't know"

He kinda has a point. If Microsoft had reliable systems and people didn't have to replace them 4-5 times the PS3 probably would've been well ahead of Microsoft by now.

Considering you get a 3 yr warranty, only a dumbass would have bought 4/5 xbox's insted of get them repaired for free, hence why I fail to believe that's happened outside of a few occasions.

You're completely ignoring the fact that MS denied the problem of RROD for about a 1-1 1/2 years.  How many broke down in that time?  Also the 3 year warranty only covered RROD, and later E74, not all 360 defects.  And how many decided to just buy a new Slim when there previous model, even if repaired, still had issues?  And what happens when the 3 year warranty expires on your console?  I mean later this year will mark the 360's 6th year on the market.

This is true. The three year warranty for the consumers who bought the 360's is up, unless they bought 360's a year or so after Microsoft announced the three year warranty.

This thread is about the PS3's 50 million shipped consoles and the Move. I've addressed both within the thread. MS's lead is in serious Jeopardy and the Kinect doesn't seem to be helping them do anything but survive against the PS3's growing sales. It's just being stated that if Sony cuts the price of the PS3 Sony will have overtaken the 360 by next year guaranteed. Gears of War 3 is Microsofts only hope this year. I hope Microsoft has plans on the core end of things, because aside from the kinect drawing a couple casuals to buy a console it's come down to drawing the core and undecided gamers. There are plenty of hardcore gamers buying a second or third consoles now, much like I've decided to do and have done with the new 360 Slim as my secondary. Lets hope the Kinect has a good holiday season. The Move is doing amazing for a peripheral that hasn't had half the press of the kinect and also has a more "core-friendly" approach.

Secondly, what does GT5 have to do with this? GT5 has legs dude. It's over 6 million already. It has already hit the milestone as the PS3's highest selling exclusive. For a game that has launched past Novemeber thats great. The sales will continue to grow, especially in Europe who continues to carry the GT5 series sales.

atma998 said:

Please not another thread derailed by GT5 sales. Btw why compare GT5 to GT4? If you want to make a valid comparison then you'll have to compare its sales to GT3 cause the first iteration of a franchise on a new HW is always selling better. The same goes for FFXIII...

The irony... You complain about the thread being derailed, then you butt into the conversation to derail it further

atma998 said:

You know GT3 was bundled with every PS2 in US... EMEAA and Japan numbers are similar between GT3 and GT4... just Americas was crazy huge in GT3 because that bundles.

There are no change to comparte GT5 in Americas with GT3 in Americas.

CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:

The poor sales of GT5 compared to previous GT games says alot.

Interesting that you say this -

GT4 20th week: 21,530 - (EMEAA total): 3,058,666

GT5 20th week: 10,618 - (EMEAA total): 3,823,463

Being just 10k behind GT4 weekly (while being nearly 800k ahead in all of EMEAA) doesn't sound like "selling poor" compared to previous GT titles (and since we don't the sell rate of GTs 1-3, GT4 is all we have to go on). In Japan, yes GT5 is behind pretty heavily, but it is up in EMEAA to not only make up the difference, but be ahead WW by quite a margin in the same time frame. It's also right there with GT4 in the Americas for week 20 and is ahead of GT4 in total Americas sales in the same time frame (GT4 after 20 weeks: 1,643,321/GT5 after 20 weeks: 1,692,078). Lets not make this sound like something it isn't.

I agree with you on one thing though, people do need to get a perspective on things.

That was the whole argument, only Sony, MS ands Nintendo can tell us actual numbers by the amount they ship. Guess work on what we think numbers are rarely accurate on telling the actual userbase. I agree, it's  obvious Move does not have 8 million just like 360 doesnt have 50 million or PS3 49 million. The only numbers these comapnies care about is the amount they sell.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

congratulations to sony, keep it up with more good contents, next target to 60m for PS3 and 10m for Move... ^^