By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY: PS3 over 50m units sold and 8m MOVE units sold.

Carl2291 said:

What I find more important than the HW numbers, is the SW numbers...

We have undertracked SW by like, 100 Million units? Really?

Where does the article say anything about SW??

Around the Network
Nintendogamer said:
superchunk said:

Focusing on shipped...

Wii is ~90m

360 is ~54m

PS3 is ~50m

Not a bad console market. Wii should still easily break 100m and probably die off around 120m.

Other two will probably die off around 80m with PS3 potentially having a small lead.

This means last gen was about 200m sold total while this one will creep up on 300m. Very nice for the entire market.

isn't wii at about 87M now? or it could be way low knowing that PS3 has shipped more than wii doing 2.2M

IDK.. I put the "~" to show that I was unsure about the number. I really mean to simply say "about 90m".

Seece said:
Nintendogamer said:
superchunk said:

Focusing on shipped...

Wii is ~90m

360 is ~54m

PS3 is ~50m

Not a bad console market. Wii should still easily break 100m and probably die off around 120m.

Other two will probably die off around 80m with PS3 potentially having a small lead.

This means last gen was about 200m sold total while this one will creep up on 300m. Very nice for the entire market.

isn't wii at about 87M now? or it could be way low knowing that PS3 has shipped more than wii doing 2.2M

What was Wii at, at the end of last Q? 84.7?

84.63M, Nintendo projected 2.3M this quater, so 86.93M the yare hoping, seeing as Vgchartz has wii at 2.5M sell through, 2.7M is shipped in theory, but maybe they are over in EMEAA.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

TheSource said:

The hardware sales will be nice but software is still somewhat disastrous potentially:

Nintendo's console history for software is:

500m -> 380m --> 225m --> 210m ---> 1.2b (guess for Wii)

Sony's is something like this:

960m --> 1.58b ---> 800m (guess for PS3)

My guess for Microsoft is something like this:

225m ---> 750m (X360)

The HD market for sw may only be 1.6b, after being 1.6b on PS2 alone in SD, and 1.2b on Wii alone with HD games at double the cost or more to make. Thats effectively 1.8b from PS2 & Xbox / 250k  to 1.6b to PS3 & X360 at double development costs, akin to 1.8b / 250k profitable games (7200)  vs. 1.6b / 500k profitable games (3200). Third parties figured that out, so the eventual ~700m Wii third party market adds 2800 or so profitable games for about 6000, down from 7200 (down from a theoretical 7600 with GC)

Interesting.

HW has good growth yet SW is in decline.

Doesn't make sense to me. I'm thinking the estimates have to be off for SW. It just doesn't make sense that HW could grow up to 100m more units yet overall the SW is about constant. I'd expect some growth... maybe not and equal %, but some none-the-less.

superchunk said:
TheSource said:

The hardware sales will be nice but software is still somewhat disastrous potentially:

Nintendo's console history for software is:

500m -> 380m --> 225m --> 210m ---> 1.2b (guess for Wii)

Sony's is something like this:

960m --> 1.58b ---> 800m (guess for PS3)

My guess for Microsoft is something like this:

225m ---> 750m (X360)

The HD market for sw may only be 1.6b, after being 1.6b on PS2 alone in SD, and 1.2b on Wii alone with HD games at double the cost or more to make. Thats effectively 1.8b from PS2 & Xbox / 250k  to 1.6b to PS3 & X360 at double development costs, akin to 1.8b / 250k profitable games (7200)  vs. 1.6b / 500k profitable games (3200). Third parties figured that out, so the eventual ~700m Wii third party market adds 2800 or so profitable games for about 6000, down from 7200 (down from a theoretical 7600 with GC)

Interesting.

HW has good growth yet SW is in decline.

Doesn't make sense to me. I'm thinking the estimates have to be off for SW. It just doesn't make sense that HW could grow up to 100m more units yet overall the SW is about constant. I'd expect some growth... maybe not and equal %, but some none-the-less.

Software isn't in decline at least as far as total numbers.  It'll probably be about 300 million away from the PS2/XBX/GC total when we get Q4 shipments.  Though hardware is nearing the total from last gen.

I don't really know his point about potentially profitable games.  If the top 10 games on the Wii had all sold 250k, it doesn't mean that the other games automatically gain an extra 245 million.  Plus it ignores the fact that the digital markets aren't tracked, and the games in those markets are generally quite cheap to make.

Around the Network

I'm very happy to Move being a huge susscess. Hopefully Sony support it properly. As for PS3, expected numbers. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

1/3 of ps2 sales, 1/2 of the time

psrock said:

I'm very happy to Move being a huge susscess. Hopefully Sony support it properly. As for PS3, expected numbers. 

Hmm what you mean? As far as I see the Move TANKED in comparison with its rivals :/

late_release said:
psrock said:

Hmm what you mean? As far as I see the Move TANKED in comparison with its rivals :/

It's couple million behind the fastest selling product ever, that's a success to me. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

yeah finally some Move numbers...8 million is good!