By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So this's the end .... of the Wii.

Conegamer said:

It was never 'cool' to play video games up until this gen. Without the Wii it may never have been cool. The story above is an example of how the Wii has drawn the family together, and I know I've had hundreds of hours of fun playing with the family, people who've never even touched a gaming controller before were getting well into it, that's something I couldn't have imagined 5 years ago...

Why are you so obsessed of gaming becoming "cool"? Are you so insecure about yourself or what? I don't need my hobbies to be approved by other people.

Around the Network
Antabus said:
Conegamer said:

It was never 'cool' to play video games up until this gen. Without the Wii it may never have been cool. The story above is an example of how the Wii has drawn the family together, and I know I've had hundreds of hours of fun playing with the family, people who've never even touched a gaming controller before were getting well into it, that's something I couldn't have imagined 5 years ago...

Why are you so obsessed of gaming becoming "cool"? Are you so insecure about yourself or what? I don't need my hobbies to be approved by other people.

No, I mean from the mass media perspective, hence more people bought games and were more willing to go on about it.

I've been gaming for over 10 years now, I don't mind if it's cool or not. But a lot of people do.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
kitler53 said:
Conegamer said:
Raze said:

Its been pretty typical of every gen for Nintendo yet.

Wii - "OMG lol casualz!"

GC -"OMG Kiddie!"

N64 - "OMG Kiddie!"

SNES - "OMG Genesis!"

I will say when the Wii was announced, I was like WTF Nintendo?! But when I got to play it and eventually own one, it made sense.

What it did do is bring my gaming connection with my dad full circle. When I was like 4, we used to play Atari 2600 together a lot, and we played Super Mario Bros on the NES together. He played less and less as the games became more 1 player style. He came back to gaming with the Wii, completing the circle before he passed away last year. So, in the end, I'm glad the Wii came around, it brought my gaming mentor back into gaming for one last round. =)

That's a very sweet story and a very valid point

A lot of people forget about just what the Wii has done. 10 years ago a lot of people wouldn't be caught dead with a gaming console. Now we can all talk about Mario or at least Wii Sports, and the Nintendo faithful get all the support they ever wanted.

Without the Wii, gaming may well have been on its way out. You can hate on the Wii, but not the effect it had on the industry as a whole

the part that annoys me is you probably actually believe that.  anyways, despite all of the talk about how expansive the wii was -- the data suggests otherwise.

gc xbox ps2 = 21.75 24.65 142.87 = 189.27   ... and we know the ps2 is very under tracked.

wii 360 ps3 = 86.32 52.92 49.25 = 188.49

A l,ot still to cmoe from this gen though, and I don't mean sales-wise, but now everything plays games. from phones to MP3 players to tablets, and everything inbetween. 

Sub in GC numbers instead of Wii figures and it doesn't all look so rosy now does it? The PS3 has had a massive drop over last gen, whilst the 360 has had a massive rise. But without Wii the numbers pale in comparison to last gen, and this gen may well have been one of the last as we know it without the Wii.

yes the ps3 had a massive drop this gen.

... the assumption you are making that nintendo created evey single one of its sales out of brand new custmers and that all 100ish M ps2 users that obviously didn't buy a ps3 all throw up their hands and said, "i'm not gaming this gen".

the customer bases moved around that is for sure.  but that is the primary fortune for nintendo this gen ... convincing old ps2 users to get a wii instead of a ps3.  there will be growth this gen, there was growth last gen.  but to say or even suggest that without the wii the entire gaming would be a dying industry is just conceited.

also, apple not nintendo is the one pushing gaming on the phone, mp3 player, tablets. 

perpride said:

sigh.... to be honest i'm pissed. cause this is going to mean less support for Wii and I can't afford a new console right now.

It's not being released now, it is being released in Fall 2012.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

kitler53 said:
Conegamer said:
kitler53 said:
Conegamer said:
Raze said:

Its been pretty typical of every gen for Nintendo yet.

Wii - "OMG lol casualz!"

GC -"OMG Kiddie!"

N64 - "OMG Kiddie!"

SNES - "OMG Genesis!"

I will say when the Wii was announced, I was like WTF Nintendo?! But when I got to play it and eventually own one, it made sense.

What it did do is bring my gaming connection with my dad full circle. When I was like 4, we used to play Atari 2600 together a lot, and we played Super Mario Bros on the NES together. He played less and less as the games became more 1 player style. He came back to gaming with the Wii, completing the circle before he passed away last year. So, in the end, I'm glad the Wii came around, it brought my gaming mentor back into gaming for one last round. =)

That's a very sweet story and a very valid point

A lot of people forget about just what the Wii has done. 10 years ago a lot of people wouldn't be caught dead with a gaming console. Now we can all talk about Mario or at least Wii Sports, and the Nintendo faithful get all the support they ever wanted.

Without the Wii, gaming may well have been on its way out. You can hate on the Wii, but not the effect it had on the industry as a whole

the part that annoys me is you probably actually believe that.  anyways, despite all of the talk about how expansive the wii was -- the data suggests otherwise.

gc xbox ps2 = 21.75 24.65 142.87 = 189.27   ... and we know the ps2 is very under tracked.

wii 360 ps3 = 86.32 52.92 49.25 = 188.49

A l,ot still to cmoe from this gen though, and I don't mean sales-wise, but now everything plays games. from phones to MP3 players to tablets, and everything inbetween. 

Sub in GC numbers instead of Wii figures and it doesn't all look so rosy now does it? The PS3 has had a massive drop over last gen, whilst the 360 has had a massive rise. But without Wii the numbers pale in comparison to last gen, and this gen may well have been one of the last as we know it without the Wii.

... the assumption you are making that nintendo created evey single one of its sales out of brand new custmers and that all 100ish M ps2 users that obviously didn't buy a ps3 all throw up their hands and said, "i'm not gaming this gen".

the customer bases moved around that is for sure.  but that is the primary fortune for nintendo this gen ... convincing old ps2 users to get a wii instead of a ps3.  there will be growth this gen, there was growth last gen.  but to say or even suggest that without the wii the entire gaming would be a dying industry is just conceited.

also, apple not nintendo is the one pushing gaming on the phone, mp3 player, tablets. 

So you don't believe that the other 100 million are just waiting around for the PS3 to be a reasonable price? You just watch and see! After next PS3 price drop, it will sell 100 million more units.... seriously!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
kitler53 said:

So you don't believe that the other 100 million are just waiting around for the PS3 to be a reasonable price? You just watch and see! After next PS3 price drop, it will sell 100 million more units.... seriously!

i'm 90% sure you're being sarcastic but in case you're not ... no.  

I'd be happy with a wii successor that is a bit more powerful than the xbox 360 and ps3, and it should even remain relatively affordable by the time it comes out. However, I really don't think giving the wii 2 a simply boost in power is the solution. Third party studios are going to prefer putting their support behind the ps3 and 360 and I am concerned that the wii 2 will be left out of the fun again. 

I just hope Sony don't release a console in 2012 just because Nintendo MAY release one, and I don't expect them too--the ps3 is doing great and has room for another price cut or two to help sustain sales while developers (of all kind) continue to pump out good quality games for the system. Also, I think Sony will definitely like to evaluate Nintendo's new console for the upcoming generation before putting out a console themselves. 

^^^ i disagree, if the Wii 2 does come and is a little bit more powerful than PS360, then they will just port the older games and the newer ones will  be multiplat. Contrary to popular belief, the Wii isnt getting the games that the HDS are getting not because 3rd parties hate Wii, but the Wii is that much weaker than the HDs. For as much crap as GC got, the fact is they got alot of 3rd party multiplats, because the GC wasnt so different power wise from the others, no one had to bust their balls

oniyide said:

^^^ i disagree, if the Wii 2 does come and is a little bit more powerful than PS360, then they will just port the older games and the newer ones will  be multiplat. Contrary to popular belief, the Wii isnt getting the games that the HDS are getting not because 3rd parties hate Wii, but the Wii is that much weaker than the HDs. For as much crap as GC got, the fact is they got alot of 3rd party multiplats, because the GC wasnt so different power wise from the others, no one had to bust their balls

That power thing justifies lack of multiplaforms, but not for lack of trying to make Wii versions at all. And don't give me the "won't sell" line, because that started before the third parties even had time to release any such games for the system (as in a self serving catch 22).

I'll give Chop Till You Drop didn't work out, but if third parties actually tried, that would have just been a shameful freshman effort, not an excuse for their laziness.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

@lordtheknight  im not disagreeing with what you say, but lets look at it from the 3rd parties' side?? WHy would they waste time money and resources, into trying to get a game that was made for the HDs into the WIi, knowing damn well that worst case scenario it would suck, best case it wouldnt be as good as the HDs anyway?? 9/10 people will pick the HD version anyway. IF you had 2 consoles and you know one version was way better, you would get the way better version. You would be stupid not to. Look at the sales of recent multiplat games, there so far behind the HDs that i wonder why they even make them. Im not talking about the family friendly exercise titles either, those are fine. Now if your talking just make a good ol unique version for Wii, (ala Force Unleashed 1, or original RE) im with you on that.  As a multplat owner i would buy those for Wii