By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Give me your 360 top 10s

Hapimeses said:
Munkeh111 said:

Well if you were to look through my 360 collection, the only non-PC ones are those 2 I have mentioned and Fable II, which I don't really reccomend (especially not 3).  And GeoW had more content on PC, but I think that was because of a late release, as Gears was rushed out a little to be the big game of the holiday, so had a large chunk of its story cut

If you are interested in XBLA, the one that stands out is Shadow Complex, just an amazing all round game, a decent story, fun to play, good graphics and I think it is now on sale

Well, that all makes sense. And no recommendation for Fable? Oh dear, I was quite looking forward to giving that a go. Any reason for the dislike?

And, yes, Shadow Complex has moved up to a 'must buy' I think.

I'm not sure why, I just never really enjoyed it. The combat wasn't very interesting and I was never really drawn into the world, it just seemed a little silly

The other game that I forgot was Alan Wake, but I don't really rate that either. It is not really scary, even for me who hates horror games, and despite lovely graphics, the story wasn't that great imo and the gameplay wasn't great either. But it does have many things going for it, so might be worth a look

Around the Network
Hapimeses said:
selnor said:

Cool. Plenty for you to enjoy. Here is what I consider the top 10 exclusives.

1. Alan Wake. Completely and utterly awesome. Best Phsychological Horror game ever. Not just this gen.

2. Halo Reach. Brilliant shooter. The best Exclusive shooter money can buy.

3. Forza Motorsport 3. Truly great simulation series. Worth playing before the mighty Forza 4 later this year.

4. Halo 3. Not quite as good as Reach, but still above the rest.

5. Lost Odyssey. Best JRPG this generation. Even today.

6. Ninja Blade. Seriously underrated Hacker this. From Software made an enjoyable over the top game. Well worth it.

7. PGR 4. Best sim/arcade racer out there. Seriously this game is fantastic.

8. Halo Wars. Best console RTS. Nuff said.

9. Halo ODST. Slower paced and more stealthy. But still Halo at heart. No more needs saying.

10. Fable 3. 360 is the king of WRPG's. And Fable 3 is one of those kings. ( Excuse the pun ).

I could add more but that can be for another time.

Arcade games:

1. Hardcore Uprising. Brilliant side scrolling shooter.

2. Shadow Complex. You have to play this.

These are all I currently own on XBLA.

Thanks for the list. Great stuff. I have a query (for you, or anyone else, really). Lots of people have mentioned Ninja Blade. What makes it so spiffy?

Also, it's becoming clear that I have to buy Shadow Complex.

Ninja Blade is a great game. Very similar to Dantes Inferno or GOW playstyle. QTE's and over the top combos. But it's genuinely fun. It's actually a really good game. Check out the video below.

I didn't realize until I looked at all of my games, how many of them were not true exclusives. I think that the lists you were given are really good. If you like Halo, then you have a lot of good material. Gears 2 is awesome, of course. Microsoft is plagued with timed exclusives. I think what has been listed is pretty much it.

Hapimeses said:
Barozi said:

no split-screen co-op for Gears. Makes the 360 version much superior.

I have no desire to get into a pissing match here. Whilst I don't see how split-screen co-op somehow makes the 360 version 'much superior' when balanced by the superior graphics, extra levels, extra multi-player maps, and level editor of the PC version, clearly you do. Personally, I never found the lack of split-screen an issue, but that could be because I have 4 PCs in my house.

Really, if you feel the split-screen is so important to you, then, clearly, for you, it is the better version. However, if I'm trying to be objective, I find it very hard to argue that.

well as long as being objective implies that everyone has multiple PC's that can run Gears on a decent level....preferably even in the same room.
I for one also prefer the system link option, but usually when my friends show up they don't bring their 360 with them and an extra monitor.

Hapimeses said:

Thanks very much for dropping in with your views. Again, it includes a few games I have on other platforms (Mass Effect and Gears), but does include one I know pretty much nothing about: Infinite Undiscovery. How's this one? Any reason to pick it up?

not bad but I'd recommend MagnaCarta 2 instead. Very underrated or let's better say unkown.

Around the Network
Hapimeses said:
lurkerwithnosoul said:

Top 10 retail:

- Tales of Vesperia

- Halo Reach

- Lost Odyssey

- Magna Carta 2

- Espgaluda II

- Forza 3

- Gears of War 2

- Deathsmiles

- Blue Dragon

- Alan Wake

Digital (let's see if i say all exclusives)

- Limbo

- The Dishwasher Vampire Smiles

- KOF Sky Stage

- Trials HD

- Strania

- Splosion Man

- Triggerheart Exelica

- Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's

- Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

- Shadow Complex

Thanks for those. Great lists. Especially as there is a lot of games that I know very little about there. Is it possible you (or anyone else) can add a little info on the following titles: Magna Carta 2, Espgaluda II, Deathsmiles, KOF Sky Stage, Strania, Triggerheart Exelica, and the excellently titled 'The Dishwasher Vampire Smiles'?

There's not that much to be added. Magna Carta is a decent RPG with lot of stuff to do and an enjoyable combat system. It's not the best out there, i would prefer Lost Odyssey, ToV, Blue Dragon over it, but its not bad. The game is cheap and easy to find these days, so may be worth to look.

All the games from Espgaluda II to Triggerheart Exelica are 2D japanese shooters. I find these games very enjoyable, especially the Cave (company) ones. Like Espgaluda II, Deathsmiles, and Mushihimesama. Some are still expensive (only Espgaluda II in this case, but it will reach Platinum state soon). but if you like this kind of games, you will love those. And if you don't, well, i think you may also like to try some.

The Dishwasher VS, i think is actually pretty good. :p

The combat made the game for me, its fun and hard at the same time (unless you're trying in the easiest mode). You can move aroun freely anywhere (the characters teleport themselves) and the enemies can be finished in more than one way, all of them involving alot of combos and brutal finish moves. You can play this game, local or online, with a friend.

The cons of this game, not that game breaking, imo, but are these: it is repetitive, like the first one. You will find yourself slashing through the same enemies over and over (it's not all that bad). And is monochromatic (outside the blood colour, magic and electrecity), so you wont get alot of variety in the visual department (again, is not that bad, but like the other one, a think people pick much with this, so, maybe wise to not omit it). The story and the characters try to act badass and thrilling, but they are actually goofy and dull (srly, sometimes there are some pretty bad-ass scenes, but they are spoiled when the story is actually told, imo). There's not much interesting stuff going on apart from the action.

But for 800msp, i say its worth.

A few games that others have mentioned:

Gears of War 1--it comes packed with Gears of War 2 and a bunch of bonus maps, now.  I think the asking price is pretty cheap, now.  You may have already played it on the PC and you can probably find GeoW2 cheaper as a stand-alone, but there's really no good reason to buy GeoW2 individually when you can pretty much get the DLC and GeoW1 for free, now.

Magna Carta 2-Is a great jrpg but I can recognize that it isn't for everyone.  I got it for Christmas in 2009 and I couldn't even play Mass Effect 2 until the game was done.  The story was a bit cliche and the dialog presentation was a little off-putting but I found myself simply addicted to the gameplay.  Like I said, not for everyone but once you learn the battle system, it's like crack.  Try before you buy.

Bully- An all around great effort from Rockstar and worth owning if you don't have the Wii/PS2 versions.  The graphics are shit but the game is very enjoyable.  It's supposed to have a couple of exclusive classes and such but I doubt you'd even miss them if you played one of the other versions.

Infininte Undiscovery--Started out great but after about the halfway point, descended into monotony.  I can't recommend this game in good faith.  It needed a lot of polish in the gameplay/graphics department and there was one part where I was stuck with a dead game, due to a poorly placed save-point.  I'd say skip it in favor of Magna Carta 2, Lost Odyssey, or Blue Dragon (I own it but haven't given it enough time to fall in love with it, yet).

Ninja Blade--A great game with great presentation, really tight feeling gameplay, and a heavy reliance on QTE's.  The QTE's are pretty forgiving but are very abundant.  If you can tolerate them, this game will be worth the money.  It does have some truly awesome "HOLY SHIT" moments that will make you smile.  The story is poorly written and embarrassing, though.  Still, I recommend it purely as a throwback to games like Ninja Gaiden (nes) where nobody thought it was unusual for a ninja and a giant spider to fight.

Some games that I own but don't think are must plays include:  Bulletwitch (not polished enough to be a contender), Burnout Revenge (available on last gen consoles but really must be experienced on 360--my favorite Burnout, even today), Saints Row (nowhere near as good as the awesome sequel), Commanders Attack (a ripoff of Advance Wars for XBLA), and Kameo (a game that I LOVED in 2007 but probably isn't so good, now).  I say try these games if they're dirt cheap.  You'll get some fun out of them if you ever end up really bored and in need of something to distract you.  They just aren't AAA status, though.  None of the games in this post are.

If you're still looking for only exclusive games, ill throw in my 10 cents.

Retail ranked in order of my personal preference.

• 1. Halo Reach
  • 2. Halo ODST
  • 3. Halo 3
  • 4. Gears 2
  • 5. Alan Wake
  • 6. Forza 3
  • 7. Dead Rising (Sorry, i can´t count the Wii version as being the same)
  • 8. Viva Pinata
  • 9. Kameo
  • 10. Viva Pinata

XBLA ranked on personal preference.

• 1. Limbo
  • 2. Banjo Kazooie
  • 3. Banjo Tooie
  • 4. Undertow

Sorry, i can´t recommend more xbla titles, i don´t play to many of them.

SORRY FOGOT HALO WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/10 (on a whole number scale). I just really enjoyed this game, but I am not sure why. I do like sci-fi, but I am not a huge Halo fan, it was just really well designed, and I got incredibly addicted to the multiplayer. Some say it is shallow compared to PC RTSs, but I feel it was perfectly designed for console and really great fun

Hapimeses said:
greenmedic88 said:

Alan Wake

Halo: Reach

Gears of War 2

Halo 3

Console "exclusives" also on PC:

Gears of War 1 (which I would place above Gears 2)

Mass Effect 1

Left 4 Dead 1&2

If you don't mind me asking, why would you put Gears 1 over 2?

Also, thanks for your list. :)

Mainly because it was one of my biggest disappointments of 2008 along with Resistance 2.

While the game did clean up some of the play mechanics of the original with slight tweaks and added an extra multiplayer mode borrowed from Unreal 2004, Epic's attempts to make a "bigger, better, more badass" game felt contrived and just didn't rekindle the magic I felt while playing the orginal.

The story also had some pretty artificial attempts to turn up the volume as well, which just didn't have their intended effect when I played.

All that said, if someone played Gears 2 with a clean slate, no expectations and possibly never having played Gears 1, I'm sure they'd have a much higher opinion of the game.