By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The 360 was dead last worldwide. Is MS in trouble?

A203D said:
Dr.Grass said:

@OP

Yes,I suspect MS is now officially doomed.

Imo, in Europe and Japan its game over. slowly but surely in Europe, despite being more expensive in Europe the PS3 is still doing  a bit better. if theres a price cut later this year or next year, along with the enormous level of software pushed this year, i think its game over in Europe.

Microsoft is still doing very well in Americas, so no way is the console doomed. the brand has been extremely successful in Americas and in parts of Europe, so Microsoft will be back next gen - whether they can accomplish more than that have this gen is debatable.

There was more than a hint of sarcasm in my comment.

This has mainly been fueled by statemtents like:

''(for MS it's) game over in Europe.''

How having a userbase of 20 million and sales of at least 50 000 a week can be considered as a lost contest truly defies logic. Moreover, the classication for 'winning and losing' and the 'war' are being broadly applied to what is no more a battle within the minds of the console enthusiast.

Around the Network
AussieGecko said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Garnett said:

It ONLY took a whole generation... yeah there in trouble..

Seriously, M$ is trying to get the casual market, which doesnt give a flying EFF about kinect.. at least not for the $150 stand alone price..

5 years might be a generation for xbox and wii, but ps3 is only half way and hasnt even peaked yet.

but the system that ends up in 3rd place has still done very well considering there are 3 competitive systems this gen (or half of a gen)

how do you know they havent peaked... in fact they techincally have, they have had a highest sales year so far. There might be a better one and that'll be their new peak year. 

because this years price drop is the one where the masses go to get a ps3. and theres uncharted 3, infamous 2, resistance 3, last guardian, twisted metal all still to come.

if wii or xbox cant outsell ps3 worldwide at a price point where more people can afford it, how is it going to outsell it when ps3 drops into that price range? as the price comes down, the difference in price gets smaller and the value of ps3's features will stand out more.

I was proven wrong last year with kinect but i dont think nintendo or microsoft have anything that big for this year. microsoft has gears but compare it with the 5 games i mentioned above....

so the point is ps3 will have a bigger advantage over wii and xbox this year than it has ever had previously.

im not sure how much the PSN incident is gonna hurt them though but i dont think it will be significant unless they get attacked again.

Thats what happens when you make a high selling peripheral but forget to keep releasing games for it . . . even bad games.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

fps_d0minat0r said:
AussieGecko said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Garnett said:

Seriously, M$ is trying to get the casual market, which doesnt give a flying EFF about kinect.. at least not for the $150 stand alone price..

5 years might be a generation for xbox and wii, but ps3 is only half way and hasnt even peaked yet.

but the system that ends up in 3rd place has still done very well considering there are 3 competitive systems this gen (or half of a gen)

how do you know they havent peaked... in fact they techincally have, they have had a highest sales year so far. There might be a better one and that'll be their new peak year. 

because this years price drop is the one where the masses go to get a ps3. and theres uncharted 3, infamous 2, resistance 3, last guardian, twisted metal all still to come.

if wii or xbox cant outsell ps3 worldwide at a price point where more people can afford it, how is it going to outsell it when ps3 drops into that price range? as the price comes down, the difference in price gets smaller and the value of ps3's features will stand out more.

I was proven wrong last year with kinect but i dont think nintendo or microsoft have anything that big for this year. microsoft has gears but compare it with the 5 games i mentioned above....

so the point is ps3 will have a bigger advantage over wii and xbox this year than it has ever had previously.

im not sure how much the PSN incident is gonna hurt them though but i dont think it will be significant unless they get attacked again.

With the projected losses because of the incident I suspect that Sony management may say any price reduction (or the size of the reduction) on hardware is off.  They may simply say additional market share isnt work reducing the hardware margin. 

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
AussieGecko said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Garnett said:

With the projected losses because of the incident I suspect that Sony management may say any price reduction (or the size of the reduction) on hardware is off.  They may simply say additional market share isnt work reducing the hardware margin. 

revenue from the initialy system purchase is tiny compared to how much they make on games and accessories and psn (when its back up)

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:
thx1139 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

revenue from the initialy system purchase is tiny compared to how much they make on games and accessories and psn (when its back up)

Yes we can already see that Sony has made up all the losses from the PS3 initially selling at a loss and then continued losses with Sony being forced to reduce PS3 prices quicker than expected.  Now PS3 is swimming in profits.

Or am I mistaken?

Tell me how many people that have been told to cancel thier credit cards, file fraud reports, change passwords at sites that they used the same passwords, etc. are just going to pop right back on PSN and give Sony the new CC numbers, create new passwords and act like nothing ever happened?

Isnt this whole thread just a moot point anyway after the Nintendo financials report that puts Wii far behind the 360 for the year?

I think the threads point is now kinda moot thanks to Seece's thread here

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=127961&page=1

MS's first quarter shipments were close to matching last year's third quarter shipments - so basically the second highest non-4th Quarter shipment total. MS is doing damn fine, and their profits are WAY up. One more quarter and they will be profitng a lot on the 360 as a whole for years to come (till the 720 is out).

It's just that simple.

SaviorX said:

This past week, the 360 was last (barring a testicular pie) in worldwide sales.

The PS3 is slowly closing the gap between itself and the 360; a price cut to $199.99 could be huge.

What are you talking about?

For the Week ending April 16th, PS3 sold 163k, 360 sold 152k, and Wii sold 120k.

360 is far from dead last, it's trailing behind PS3 by <10%, and remember 360 gets stronger sales then PS3 during the holidays as Americas region sales tend to boom the most in the holidays. This year 360 > Wii in Americas, so this could be record holiday sales. No garentee PS3 will outsell 360 for 2011 (although I would be surprised if it didn't).

Looking at this week, 360 is the best selling system for combined EMEAA and Americas sales. Only when you include Japan (use Media create numbers for now), does PS3 take a <10% lead.

I think the real question is whether or not Wii is in trouble. It's sales are only about 75% as strong as PS3's and about 83% as strong as 360's. It's weekly sales are noticably lower then PS3's.

As for a Price cut, why would that help Sony more then MS? 360 is bigger in a combined EMEAA and Americas region, and by the time this price cut happens, Japanese gamers will all be getting 3DS's and PSP2's.

What about this huge hacking and identity theft issue PS3 is having? What about holiday sales, and Kinects second wave of software helping 360? What's going to happen when 360 starts to advertize the Escalation DLC on TV and PSN is still down? Call of Duty is PS3's biggest franchise, don't you think this might hurt their reputation?

Narrow minded i can see, taking one side over the other.

Note: I think PS3 will outsell 360 for 2011, but by at most 1-1.5 million, and I still think Wii has a chance to come out on top overall.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

trasharmdsister12 said:

That post sounds like it was written by me. It had everything from testicular pie to incredibly lame (which is why they're so great) puns/gaming references. I... I think I'm in love with you.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."