By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Vgchartz ranking game--Donkey Kong Country Returns!

My vote is 10, I've played it for more than 50hours and I still want to play it more than other games (lately It's difficult for me to find games I'd like to play more than 20 hours in single player). Also I love 2D platforming and speed-runs, so it looks like this game was made for me. This is already my favorite single player game on Wii.

Around the Network

Great platformer, with a true focus on precise timing and jumping, as well as the secrets and exploration that really opens up what is essentially a point A to B genre. Level design is spot on and always turning up the tension (that level with the spider wave coming at you!)

As with others, my only complaint is the forced motion control, which 95% of the time was not an issue, but when a missed waggle means you fall on that final jump to the end barrel platform, it can be frustrating to the point of controlercide.

LISTEN TO THE FIRST WORLD PODCAST REAL GAMERS, REAL AWESOME

9.5/10

Pros:

• Level design, level design, level design. It really doesn't get much better than this.
  • Wonderful atmosphere.
  • I'm definitely not missing the water levels.
  • Great music!
  • The game is tough, but it's the "I know I can do it, just let me try one more time" tough, which is the best sort of tough.

Cons:

• Bounce detection (hittingthe jump button right as you hit an enemy to get a higher jump) can be a little hit and miss, especially on Mine Cart levels.

Smeags said:

What's everyone's beef with the water levels in DKC? They're actually one of the few types of water levels I don't dislike.

The enemy placement was never excessive, Enguarde was just awesome, and the swimming controls were just so smooooth.

And the music... I'm usually a bigger fan of more energetic stuff, but hot damn! Just listen.

Beautiful. :,^D

Best 2dPlatformer on the Wii. Great level design. Challenging but not so challenging it makes you angry. All of the classic feel plus the new and unique stuff. Intereaction with the backrounds. Couple easter eggs. Wonderful music. high replayabilty even more so if you like collecting everything. one of the few games this gen I have nothing bad to say about.

Around the Network
Ninpanda said:

What's everyone's beef with the water levels in DKC? They're actually one of the few types of water levels I don't dislike.

The enemy placement was never excessive, Enguarde was just awesome, and the swimming controls were just so smooooth.

And the music... I'm usually a bigger fan of more energetic stuff, but hot damn! Just listen.

Well, if it's one thing I love about water levels, its that most of the time the level's music are amazing. I mean... We've got this, Dire Dire Docks, Hydrocity Zone...

I dunno, the water levels in DKC weren't poor or anything (really though, you're right in that most of the prominant platformers get too much beef for their water levels.), but I'm not missing them either.

I don't really know what to say about this game, so I just give my rating this time.

Score: 8.0

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Ninpanda said:
Smeags said:

agreed

EDIT: May as well vote - - - - - - I vote 10! - Amazing game with the most awesome level design ever! :D

Come on guys I know more people this have played this game.

1 day left to say your score.