By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony profit to rise 'sixfold

Good for Sony, but will they sell through... Like Nintendo does with its Wii

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

This is basically the same stuff what I put HERE-NEWS from another source... Nothing fantastic, but I still stuck it in the news.

Good to see this site is still going 

Just because sony ships 16 million ps3's, does not mean they are going to sell that many!

Send me a message if you want to be Wii friends.

also just because their goal is 16 million doesn't mean they will ship 16 million. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

According to Bloomberg:

Sony also denied a Nikkei report that it aims to ship 10 million PlayStation 3 units in the year to March 2008

When the Sony year-end results are published on May 16 the true sales numbes will come out which should show more modest sales numbers. If sales follow current trends they are unlikely to shift more than 6 million in the next 12 months.

Around the Network

There's no reason to believe PS3 will continue to follow current trends. The combination of PS2 fading (relatively) and games actually being released for PS3 will to see to that. It's really just a question of how much games like GTA and MGS can boost the system's sales, and whether any price cuts will be a factor.

This is just another forecast - one that is bound to be wrong.

Sony have denied the "67% shipment increase", because they know its wrong. They never shipped 6m for FY 2006/2007 (closer to 4.5m I think) - and we have no idea what their targets for the next FY are to be. 10m does sound reasonable though.

Again, its good for Sony that they are making so much money from TV's and other devices. I think this year they are likely to focus on squeezing profit from the PS3, rather than worrying about volume (BluRay sales, money from HOME, digital distribution games, cutting costs in the PS3 manufacturing, etc).

Makes more sense to worry about volume once the costs have actually dropped. But I may well be wrong ;)

A $3.5b profit for the year does seem excessive to me though - if they can manage this, they are doing really well.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099