By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony profit to rise 'sixfold

Am I the only one remembering that each PS3 is sold at a loss of over $240?

Increased shipments will just mean more losses, unless the game sales pick up significantly as well, and there haven't been any indications of that, at least as far as I know.

EDIT: Of course more manufacturing will decrease costs, but it would have to be at a better rate than happened to the 360's cost reduction.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Just forget iSuppli, they have no credibility.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

So 3 million PS3 sales so far has cost them a loss of 200 billion yen in their Games Division. If they sell another 10 million PS3s this might cost them 666 billion yen next year which could put the entire company into the red.

The production cost of the PS3 should drop with 65 nm cell processors and cheaper optical disc drives, but the price of the PS3 will need to be slashed to compete with the 360, which should prolong the losses into 2008.

So basically even though sony loses money on the PS3 as a whole still, they count it as profit.... it makes sense to me..

Sounds more to the tune of channel stuffing to push out more PS3's then you need... but who am I to judge,, 

reverie said:
Just forget iSuppli, they have no credibility.

How so? They've been doing this stuff for years, and Sony hasn't denied the price, especially since it would have made shareholders a lot happier if it wasn't.

The only thing I disagree on is the gushing of the motherboard, since it was made for routing capabilities that were planned for the PS3, but never made it to the final version. That's just an extra cost the system doesn't need.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

i don't get how a 67% rise of shipments will increase to 10 million, since PS-Triple has only sold 3 million. Wouldn't 67% of 3 million be 2 million? So 3+2 = 5 million?

I also like how they said "PRE-Tax income" of 400 billion yen. First of all, INCOME doesn't mean profit, since profit = income - costs. Also, Pre-Tax income also means that the Government hasn't taken out the 35% or so out of that figure for taxes.

So the sixfold of profits isn't exactly from the PS3. From the TVs and other ventures, maybe

EDIT: And Hus? What is your point? DId you just give us a link for no reason?  

Their target was to ship 6M PS3's by March 31st this year.  Whether or not they actually met that target is up for debate, they should be giving some kind of financial report end of this year - last I heard their most revised forecast was 4.5M shipped.  So a 67% increase over 6M means you multiply 6M by 1.67 and magically you get 10M.  So they expect 10M shipped in the next year, or 16M shipped total by March 31st 2008.

But I wouldn't take this article too literally, Sony official financial report and forecasts should be along in a week or two.

Hus...

Question for you to answer, and you alone.

Do you consider yourself a Sony fanboy?

Do you consider yourself a Sony Troll?

I would be very interested to hear your opinion of this. 

i would like to ask the same questions.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

I just don't think the playstation 3 will catch on anytime soon if at all.

I like my wii and ps3 but,........here is the but!

I bought a 3do back in the day because I was oooed and owed at the graphics. Look where the high price of the 3do left it???? Panasonic and goldstar manufactured the 3do technology as well. They folded over the system. I hope sony doesnt end up like the ill priced, ill fated 3do.

If it does i guess I will have an expensive paper weight, riddled with 1st person shooters ande racers. At least i have my wii to play(like em both) play wii more.