By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony profit to rise 'sixfold

They sold 6 million PS3 in 2006/07 and expect to sell 10 million PS3 in 2007/08. That's 67% up. Or would be. This is just a newspaper rumour, not official.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

so basically that would end up being like 13million by the end of holidays... so that's about right then. n/m

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Wow, I was expecting more of a rise in SNE but it's nearly flat. I guess this news was already factored into the price.

The Christmas Holiday alot of systems will sell ...but  there has got to be more than that to this heavy ramp up...If the supply of Blu-Ray diodes are in great supply now and the Blu-Ray diode is what was the reason the PS3 price was so high....I am guessing there is going to be a substantial price cut to the PS3.If soon the Bluray machine is droping $500 and still going to be profitable then Sony must be getting them for real cheap.This would explain the Ramp up in PS3 production.I would be real suprised if there was not a drop in the PS3 this year and probly soon.If not the Ramp in production wouldn't make much sense otherwise.You can go to any store and see alot of 360's and in some places 4-5 PS3's most places at least 1-3.When you see 5 PS3 there it just does't look good.Why would a retailer buy that many PS3s if therec just not selling that fast?right now I would say PS3 sales are ok to good the 360s are ok too but i wouldn't think either one is in the need to ramp production..or in 360s case bring out a new "version". Maybe it could be a Ramp in Productio because games will finally be dropping that could move systems,but i think the biggest hurdle is the Price and Sony has to know that by now   

FishyJoe said:

I say good for Sony, looks like the company as a whole was quite successful. I'm still not sold on Sony long but give them credit when credit is due. I still have my money on Nintendo long. I just wish there were some bad Nintendo news to provide another opportunity to acquire.

Ok man really every single Post I have seen from you is about stock(which is good to look up for gamers really if the stock is in the toilet ) ,but really the fact that sony looses money on every console sold and Nintendo is making money on every console sold means ...If you are buying a PS3 you are getting more for your money and Sony lost money...of course that translates to a lower yield across the board..but who the hell cares you just got a product for 300 less than it costs to make? If Nintendo is making alot off the sale of a Wii thats great for them but you paid more than the console is worth..or costs.Stock Gains mean nothing to gamers.Just so long as the company in the whole stays at a certain growth rate thats all share holders care about.If that happens the Board  will be lienient on Ideas in the future and if growth heads south then the Board begins to scrutinize everything.All that being said Micro soft and Sony have alot more room taking losses in consoles they can make thier money up in other places.nintendo is a game company the live and die by thier systems and games.They "need"to make money on every system sold thats how the company makes money.

Around the Network
NorthStar said:
The Christmas Holiday alot of systems will sell ...but  there has got to be more than that to this heavy ramp up...If the supply of Blu-Ray diodes are in great supply now and the Blu-Ray diode is what was the reason the PS3 price was so high....I am guessing there is going to be a substantial price cut to the PS3.If soon the Bluray machine is droping $500 and still going to be profitable then Sony must be getting them for real cheap.This would explain the Ramp up in PS3 production.I would be real suprised if there was not a drop in the PS3 this year and probly soon.If not the Ramp in production wouldn't make much sense otherwise.You can go to any store and see alot of 360's and in some places 4-5 PS3's most places at least 1-3.When you see 5 PS3 there it just does't look good.Why would a retailer buy that many PS3s if therec just not selling that fast?right now I would say PS3 sales are ok to good the 360s are ok too but i wouldn't think either one is in the need to ramp production..or in 360s case bring out a new "version". Maybe it could be a Ramp in Productio because games will finally be dropping that could move systems,but i think the biggest hurdle is the Price and Sony has to know that by now   

I'm not too sure there has to be too much of a reason ...

Even if the PS3 is selling poorly they will likely sell 5 Million units worldwide between March 31st 2007 and March 31st 2008; if it performed much below that I would not anticipate the console to live much longer. 10 Million units is a moderately good performance for a console in a 12 month period (essentially it is 666,666 consoles worldwide per month + strong holiday performance). Now, if Sony attempts to ship 10 Million consoles and doesn't sell that many units the only risk they have is to drastically reduce production until surplus units are sold so I wouldn't be (too) surpised to hear that was what their target is.

NorthStar said:
FishyJoe said:

I say good for Sony, looks like the company as a whole was quite successful. I'm still not sold on Sony long but give them credit when credit is due. I still have my money on Nintendo long. I just wish there were some bad Nintendo news to provide another opportunity to acquire.

Ok man really every single Post I have seen from you is about stock(which is good to look up for gamers really if the stock is in the toilet ) ,but really the fact that sony looses money on every console sold and Nintendo is making money on every console sold means ...If you are buying a PS3 you are getting more for your money and Sony lost money...of course that translates to a lower yield across the board..but who the hell cares you just got a product for 300 less than it costs to make? If Nintendo is making alot off the sale of a Wii thats great for them but you paid more than the console is worth..or costs.Stock Gains mean nothing to gamers.Just so long as the company in the whole stays at a certain growth rate thats all share holders care about.If that happens the Board  will be lienient on Ideas in the future and if growth heads south then the Board begins to scrutinize everything.All that being said Micro soft and Sony have alot more room taking losses in consoles they can make thier money up in other places.nintendo is a game company the live and die by thier systems and games.They "need"to make money on every system sold thats how the company makes money.

You don't (necessarily) get more for your money if a company loses money on hardware ...

For the most part gamers are interested in videogame systems because of the games that are made for them, and (generally speaking) most first party development is at a higher quality level than third party development. If you took the money that was lost on hardware and invested it in first/second party development, or used it to lower licencing fees for high quality third party games, you're probably getting a far better gaming system for your money.

NorthStar said:
FishyJoe said:

Ok man really every single Post I have seen from you is about stock(which is good to look up for gamers really if the stock is in the toilet ) ,but really the fact that sony looses money on every console sold and Nintendo is making money on every console sold means ...If you are buying a PS3 you are getting more for your money and Sony lost money...of course that translates to a lower yield across the board..but who the hell cares you just got a product for 300 less than it costs to make? If Nintendo is making alot off the sale of a Wii thats great for them but you paid more than the console is worth..or costs.Stock Gains mean nothing to gamers.Just so long as the company in the whole stays at a certain growth rate thats all share holders care about.If that happens the Board will be lienient on Ideas in the future and if growth heads south then the Board begins to scrutinize everything.All that being said Micro soft and Sony have alot more room taking losses in consoles they can make thier money up in other places.nintendo is a game company the live and die by thier systems and games.They "need"to make money on every system sold thats how the company makes money.

Since when was this board just for gamers? Is there something wrong with discussing business? Did I miss the memo?

Nintendo has a ton of cash in the bank. The could execute a loss leader strategy like MS or Sony, but they made a strategic decision to pursue a different path.

My goodness, it's difficult to even make a reply to this message it's so disjointed, I will stop here. Learn to use a line break every so often.

That's got to be the most poorly written "news" article I've ever read.

DKII said:
That's got to be the most poorly written "news" article I've ever read.

I'll second that.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!