By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The most powerful systems are never the sales leader

^^^CDi came out in like 1991!  3DO in about 1993!  And even if they didn't what about the Sega CD and 32X add ons?  You could even say the Genesis was stronger AND weaker at the same time.  I can't believe I'm out here on the roof again!

I must refrsin from looking at VGChartz with the Opera browser on my phone.  I want to post and I can't (normal browser doesn't load without a 3G connection).

*logs off*

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Lostplanet22 said:

The Neo Geo was not even available i most countries...And sold less like a million? 

So what I get with this thread is that the Wii would not have been the sales leader if it was more powerfull than PS3/X360?

If the Wii was as expensive as the PS3 launch price (due to trying to compete GPU wise) then the 360 probably would be in first right now.  Motion controls, lower launch price, game library (mainly Wii Sports in beginning helped move systems), decent media coverage, and a few other things led to where things are now.  Nintendo would not be on top if they came out with an expensive system even with motion controls.  Thus they went for a new experience rather than trying to compete GPU wise.  This allowed them to have a "low compared to others" launch price of $250.

So price is the issue not the graphics;..And that is what hurted the Neo Geo's sales, and that is what Sony fans saying whole the generation...If price goes down sales of PS3 will go up;. How many weeks now is the PS3 above the Wii/X360 sales?

CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:

it's already been clarified but I've already put on all of my gear, left my office, and am now standing on a fucking roof so I'm gonna post, anyway:

You can't just omit history to suit an argument.  Just like how devices like the wonderswan never rreached critical success or the neo geo pocket didn't set the world on fire, they competed (poorly) against the Gameboy.  The Neo Geo, CDi, 3DO, and even the goddam Jaguar tried to fight Nintendo for the crown.  If you want, I'll dig up their ads degrading the snes and genesis.  They were more powerful.  They competed and failed.  There's no specific definiton for competition.  The most powerful system has NEVER won.  The OP is 100% correct.

*Goes back indoors*

You honestly think the Neo-Geo was priced and situated in a competent manner to even begin to deal with Nintendo? Really? The system was mishandled to the max, it wasn't even available in markets that Nintendo systems were. I'm not sure how you can even begin to realistically defend that at all. That's not competing, it's existing in a state where you make little to no dent on the video game market. The SNES & Megadrive were the 16-bit era, and the more powerful SNES beat the Megadrive. Period.

Btw, the CDi, 3DO & Jaguar were within the 32-bit era and the 3DO was the weakest of the 32-bit systems (yes, even behind the PlayStation). The Jaguar also didn't truly use 64 bit graphics (AFAIR).

The CD-i is considered to be in the fourth generation (SNES, Genesis, etc). 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-i

The 3DO and Jaguar are in the 5th generation (as you stated).  However, they did come out towards the end of the fourth generation.  They launched the 5th generation.  3DO, Amiga CD32, and the Jaguar came out about a year before the PS1 was launched.  At the time they were probably among the most powerful machines.  3DO failed probably because it was ridiculously overpriced.  You can omit systems if you want (Neo Geo) to try and prove my point wrong.  However, I am including all systems by the generations as they are listed in.

CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:

it's already been clarified but I've already put on all of my gear, left my office, and am now standing on a fucking roof so I'm gonna post, anyway:

You can't just omit history to suit an argument.  Just like how devices like the wonderswan never rreached critical success or the neo geo pocket didn't set the world on fire, they competed (poorly) against the Gameboy.  The Neo Geo, CDi, 3DO, and even the goddam Jaguar tried to fight Nintendo for the crown.  If you want, I'll dig up their ads degrading the snes and genesis.  They were more powerful.  They competed and failed.  There's no specific definiton for competition.  The most powerful system has NEVER won.  The OP is 100% correct.

*Goes back indoors*

You honestly think the Neo-Geo was priced and situated in a competent manner to even begin to deal with Nintendo? Really? The system was mishandled to the max, it wasn't even available in markets that Nintendo systems were. I'm not sure how you can even begin to realistically defend that at all. That's not competing, it's existing in a state where you make little to no dent on the video game market. The SNES & Megadrive were the 16-bit era, and the more powerful SNES beat the Megadrive. Period.

IMO, this is a bit of a grey area.

I do agree with CGI that Neo-Geo was priced and situated out of the realm of the competition, in that there was no hope for it to compete succesfully...

However living in the US, I used to see Neo-Geo all the time at Babbage's (where I always bought my games), and in EGM every month; those places treated it just like one of the systems on the market (in fact, it actually launched before the SNES), so I personally have always proclaimed what the OP is saying as well.

Lostplanet22 said:
sethnintendo said:
Lostplanet22 said:

The Neo Geo was not even available i most countries...And sold less like a million? 

So what I get with this thread is that the Wii would not have been the sales leader if it was more powerfull than PS3/X360?

If the Wii was as expensive as the PS3 launch price (due to trying to compete GPU wise) then the 360 probably would be in first right now.  Motion controls, lower launch price, game library (mainly Wii Sports in beginning helped move systems), decent media coverage, and a few other things led to where things are now.  Nintendo would not be on top if they came out with an expensive system even with motion controls.  Thus they went for a new experience rather than trying to compete GPU wise.  This allowed them to have a "low compared to others" launch price of $250.

So price is the issue not the graphics;..And that is what hurted the Neo Geo's sales, and that is what Sony fans saying whole the generation...If price goes down sales of PS3 will go up;. How many weeks now is the PS3 above the Wii/X360 sales?

Yea, just imagine if Sony was able to launch the PS3 at $299 or $350 price.  They couldn't because they were already taking losses from each system even at the original launch price.  You can't blame them for wanting to put Blu-ray in but that did drive up the cost a lot in the beginning.  It is selling better now than the other systems probably due to reduced price, game library, and features not available with the other consoles.  The feature rich PS3 made it impossible to have a low launch price but now that cost are down consumers see the value for the money. 

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Then it's a stalemate guys (those who disagree). To me, the competition was the SNES & Megadrive. Between those two, the more powerful device won.

Yes, that was were the main competition was.  No one can deny that.  I have to include all systems that are listed in that generation due to the fact they are listed in the that generation.  Whether they could compete or not is a different story.  All that technology in the Neo Geo back in the day making it able to port their arcade games over 1:1 meant that there was a serious price to be paid for it.  It was pretty much like having an arcade in your home.  During that generation no other console could produce "arcade like" graphics the way Neo Geo could.  Then once the PS1 and N64 came out there was less noticeable difference in arcade vs home console games.  Thus leading to the downfall of the arcade.

RolStoppable said:
archbrix said:

IMO, this is a bit of a grey area.

I do agree with CGI that Neo-Geo was priced and situated out of the realm of the competition, in that there was no hope for it to compete succesfully...

However living in the US, I used to see Neo-Geo all the time at Babbage's (where I always bought my games), and in EGM every month; those places treated it just like one of the systems on the market (in fact, it actually launched before the SNES), so I personally have always proclaimed what the OP is saying as well.

What's throwing you off is that the Neo Geo is a one of a kind console. This is the one time where the car analogy for consoles actually works. When you consider normal consoles to be BMWs, then the Neo Geo was a Ferrari. You can see it in stores, media write about it even if most readers can not afford it, but it's in a different league.

SNK had no intention to directly compete with Nintendo or Sega. If they had, they would have aggressively cut the price of their hard- and software. The Neo Geo, just like a Ferrari, was not a massmarket product.

True; I'm not saying that you or CGI are wrong.  Just saying that it's a grey area to me and could be argued either way.

Your car analogy certainly makes sense; in fact owning a Neo-Geo and its full library was about the same price as a Ferrari!  

CGI-Quality said:
Mad55 said:

well you said it started at a real high price so somehow the neo shouldnt be considered the most powerful which shouldnt matter.Also if it couldnt be found who cares it was still apart of that gen right regardless of how the company handled the release and such.

Nope, you misunderstood the point. The system stayed @ $565 for quite sometime. That wasn't my main point though - it wasn't available out the gate, at nearly any retailer it could be purchased at. How can it be considered competition?

And again, the main event of the 16-bit era is being ignored, despite the SNES being weaker than Neo-Geo, it was more powerful than the Genesis (it's true competition).

well i see your point but mine was that its still apart of that gen so its competition. I just said in my last post that regardless of how its release was handled it was still competition regardless of how bad it did it was just bad competition. but you seem to be speaking in more of a technical sense to keep it from being considered so i guess it doesnt matter lol.

Acevil said:
A Bad Clown said:

April Fools?

Silly ABC....we all know xbox was stronger!

lol, good one, you almost got me!

"with great power, comes great responsibility."

SNES!!!!!