By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The most powerful systems are never the sales leader

Lostplanet22 said:

Yeah the SNES sold more than the Megadrive..

End/thread lol =p.

You can neglect systems that didn't really sell too well due to price, availability, etc...  However, Neo Geo is considered part of the 16-bit era / in same generation as the SNES/Genesis. 

@CGI, back during that era in most video game magazine at the back they would have advertisements from a video game seller.  Neo Geo were listed in most of those with the outrageous prices of 200-300 a game and 500 or whatever for the system.  The games just cost way too much.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Xen said:
CGI-Quality said:

I wouldn't say never, as the SNES was the most powerful of it's gen. But it's usually the case.

No. The Neo Geo destroys it when it comes to power, it's like PS3 vs Wii.

Again, the Neo-Geo wasn't a system that you could just pick up in stores (at least not in the States) and it was over $500. How could that even remotely make sense for comparison?

Look @ edit.

Had the games been priced well, it'd be a different case altogether though. The Neo-Geo saw price drops putting it almost on the same level as PS3 in the old days @ $400.

CGI-Quality said:
Xen said:
CGI-Quality said:

I wouldn't say never, as the SNES was the most powerful of it's gen. But it's usually the case.

Again, the Neo-Geo wasn't a system that you could just pick up in stores (at least not in the States) and it was over $500. How could that even remotely make sense for comparison?

Edit: I see the edit. Glad YOU got it.

but wasnt the ps3 like 600 dollars launch while the wii was 250?

Mad55 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Xen said:
CGI-Quality said:

The games were priced decently... unlike the NeoGeo ones until the NGCD rolled in...

The Neo Geo was not even available i most countries...And sold less like a million? 

So what I get with this thread is that the Wii would not have been the sales leader if it was more powerfull than PS3/X360?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Xen said:
CGI-Quality said:
Xen said:
CGI-Quality said:

Look @ edit.

Had the games been priced well, it'd be a different case altogether though. The Neo-Geo saw lots of price drops.

But the console wasn't readily available for purchase like the SNES & Megadrive were. Many people to this day didn't even know that thing existed at all, let alone during one of the most memorable generations on record.

Wasn't the TurboGrafix 16 a 16-bit system? Well, it too wasn't readily available like the main two. In that sense, the SNES being more powerful proves an exception to the topic.

It wasn't readily available in the US and Europe, where it got its face bashed in by the Genesis that hard that they didn't even bother to put up a fight. It erased the Genesis in Japan however.

Also, as for advertising for NeoGeo etc, do you know the show Icons? It used to be on G4 I think and they had a whole episode about NeoGeo. It actually had a good ad campaign.

CGI-Quality said:
Mad55 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Xen said:
CGI-Quality said:

Yeah and the PS3 is dead last. What's the point here?

well you said it started at a real high price so somehow the neo shouldnt be considered the most powerful which shouldnt matter.Also if it couldnt be found who cares it was still apart of that gen right regardless of how the company handled the release and such.

CGI-Quality said:
Xen said:

It wasn't readily available in the US and Europe, where it got its face bashed in by the Genesis that hard that they didn't even bother to put up a fight. It erased the Genesis in Japan however.

Also, as for advertising for NeoGeo etc, do you know the show Icons? It used to be on G4 I think and they had a whole episode about NeoGeo. It actually had a good ad campaign.

I don't know, I just think if a console is not readily available WW, it shouldn't be lumped into a comparison like this. The SNES & Megadrive were the two main, ready-anywhere consoles. And really, even with the Neo-Geo and TurboGrafix 16 present, it means little to the overall point, because the SNES was the most powerful between it and it's nearest rival and won it's gen quite handily.

I'm just saying there's an exception to the rule here.

Eh, I can agree with that. SNK almost completely disregarded the PAL market.

it's already been clarified but I've already put on all of my gear, left my office, and am now standing on a fucking roof so I'm gonna post, anyway:

You can't just omit history to suit an argument.  Just like how devices like the wonderswan never rreached critical success or the neo geo pocket didn't set the world on fire, they competed (poorly) against the Gameboy.  The Neo Geo, CDi, 3DO, and even the goddam Jaguar tried to fight Nintendo for the crown.  If you want, I'll dig up their ads degrading the snes and genesis.  They were more powerful.  They competed and failed.  There's no specific definiton for competition.  The most powerful system has NEVER won.  The OP is 100% correct.

*Goes back indoors*

Lostplanet22 said:

The Neo Geo was not even available i most countries...And sold less like a million? 

So what I get with this thread is that the Wii would not have been the sales leader if it was more powerfull than PS3/X360?

If the Wii was as expensive as the PS3 launch price (due to trying to compete GPU wise) then the 360 probably would be in first right now.  Motion controls, lower launch price, game library (mainly Wii Sports in beginning helped move systems), decent media coverage, and a few other things led to where things are now.  Nintendo would not be on top if they came out with an expensive system even with motion controls.  Thus they went for a new experience rather than trying to compete GPU wise.  This allowed them to have a "low compared to others" launch price of $250.