By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Analyst: "Consumers Are Just Drowning In Shooters"

I agree we have too many "modern war" FPS', and they are definitely dominating the market. Hopefully their dominance will come to an end. That will only happen when us Americans are willing to put our foot down as consumers, and stop buying recycled content. I say Americans, because we drive the markets. Without us, there would be no xbox and social gaming would most likely not be as relevent. By recycled content, I mean the way we support games like COD:MW2 - BO or Halo 3: ODST. I mean we shelled out $60 for content that is no different from other games DLC. Halo 3:ODST gives you a disc for Halo 3 multiplayer with the game! WTF!? Just make it DLC. I don't need Halo 3 multiplayer, I already own Halo 3! In GTA IV for DLC, you got 2 new stories (10 -12 hrs each), missions, guns, vehicles, and some of that content transfered to multiplayer. In COD: MW2 - BO you get the same exact game engine, the same exact bugs, new guns, some new perks, same crap spawning problems, new maps, same leveling, a total of 12 - 16hrs campaign in all three games put together, and a cool but short co-op mode (spec ops & zombies). The games are fun, but couldn't they have been just as fun as a $20 DLC. I love the MW multiplayer engine, but if I'm going to pay $60 for the same multiplayer experience as the last game, at least give me a lengthy campaign to play through and fix the problems with the multiplayer. There's my rant! How's that for my first post!

Around the Network

"The market has been absent of a high-quality sandbox title for a while and that has resulted in a migration in sales from sandbox action titles to modern war first-person shooters"

Oblivion
Assassin's Creed
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Red Dead Redemption
Just Cause
Saint's Row
Infamous
Skyrim

I think its going to get to a point where the shooter maket collapses, and only a few high selling franchises/companies remain in the genre

As Bulletstorm sales have shown us...oh wait.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

FPS used to be my favorite, but now unless it is a coop fps than I than I find it more and more dull. The Third PS is a whole other story I love them more they make you feel more for the character as you have to watch that character get pummuled and fight for his life. The third perso shooter is certainly not getting old, b ut after finishing crysis 2 I know the fps shooter is.

I  love sand box games, but I wonder if this guy considers games like fallout and the Elder scrolls to be open world games because they sure as hell are. I think the next GtA will sell better basically because the user base of the HD beasts are alot higher and most American gamers are not able to play great games like Infamous.

Around the Network
ShinmenTakezo said:

I agree we have too many "modern war" FPS', and they are definitely dominating the market. Hopefully their dominance will come to an end. That will only happen when us Americans are willing to put our foot down as consumers, and stop buying recycled content. I say Americans, because we drive the markets. Without us, there would be no xbox and social gaming would most likely not be as relevent. By recycled content, I mean the way we support games like COD:MW2 - BO or Halo 3: ODST. I mean we shelled out $60 for content that is no different from other games DLC. Halo 3:ODST gives you a disc for Halo 3 multiplayer with the game! WTF!? Just make it DLC. I don't need Halo 3 multiplayer, I already own Halo 3! In GTA IV for DLC, you got 2 new stories (10 -12 hrs each), missions, guns, vehicles, and some of that content transfered to multiplayer. In COD: MW2 - BO you get the same exact game engine, the same exact bugs, new guns, some new perks, same crap spawning problems, new maps, same leveling, a total of 12 - 16hrs campaign in all three games put together, and a cool but short co-op mode (spec ops & zombies). The games are fun, but couldn't they have been just as fun as a $20 DLC. I love the MW multiplayer engine, but if I'm going to pay $60 for the same multiplayer experience as the last game, at least give me a lengthy campaign to play through and fix the problems with the multiplayer. There's my rant! How's that for my first post!

Phew!! OK. I agree on some of what you said.

I made my mind up not to buy another COD after MW2. Maybe I got tired of the whole thing or maybe I felt a bit conned, I don't know.

Treyarch, Activision or whoever simply change the scenery and collect a few hundred $million every year. I don't blame them. If I was in their position I would do the same thing, put a game out every year and pocket the money, after all that is what they are in the business for.

I am not anti-any-console but I think it is great that a driving game is the PS3's  best selling exclusive and a game like Heavy Rain can sell 2m on it without giveaways or major bundling.

The x360 do have exclusive core games like Fable and Forza that do sell well but in comparison to it's FPS they are nowhere.

This pigeon holes developers looking to reach the biggest audience into just shooting games (with some variations like Oblivion, Ass Creed etc.,), but the really BIG bucks are the GTAs, The CODs, Halos, GOWs etc., 

Better than drowning in platformers or jrpg:s, in my opinion.

RolStoppable said:
Slimebeast said:

"The market has been absent of a high-quality sandbox title for a while and that has resulted in a migration in sales from sandbox action titles to modern war first-person shooters"

I removed the sandbox titles that are not high-quality from your list.

Oh you. You hurt my feelings.

Antabus said:

Better than drowning in platformers or jrpg:s, in my opinion.

2D platformers are the best

I agree. Killzone 3, Bulletstorm, Crysis 2, and Homefront. We still have Socom 4, Brink, Battlefield : Bad Company 3, Resistance 3, Gears of War 3, Halo CE Remake, and Modern Warfare 3. 

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E