By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Analyst: "Consumers Are Just Drowning In Shooters"

@antabus  we were drowing in platformers in the 16 bit era and JRPGs in the PS1 era. this is the circle of life every gen will have there one or two genres that dominate and they eventually will lessen. The only ? is what will take FPSs place and when?

Around the Network

This gen's full of shooters, last gen was full of sandbox, and the gen before that was full of JRPG.  Every gen's gotta have one genre full of it.

axt113 said:
Antabus said:

Better than drowning in platformers or jrpg:s, in my opinion.

2D platformers are the best

Boring! Thats right i said it!

RolStoppable said:

So what about Red Dead Redemption then?

Besides, the rise of FPS has more to do with people wanting to play online and if their friends only play a few specific games, then there isn't much of a choice other than playing the same exact games. The dominant genres of online gaming are FPS, RTS and MMORPGs, but the latter two either don't really exist on consoles or are impractical to play compared to their PC counterparts. That's why the online community on consoles revolves primarily around FPS games. We won't see any sort of migration towards sandbox games when the next GTA launches.

red dead redemption dosnt have the popularity or a big name such as  the GTA series. and besides a lot of people that i know hated the setting of the game so that also might be a factor. 

just like jrpgs last gen, and platformers the gen before... >__> 

I don't remember people complaining about those

Sig thanks to Saber! :D 

Around the Network

Developers will keep making them as long as consumers are buying them up.  Companies produce what people buy.

Expect to see a lot more 2D platformers soon also.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

RolStoppable said:
amp316 said:

Developers will keep making them as long as consumers are buying them up.  Companies produce what people buy.

Expect to see a lot more 2D platformers soon also.

If only that last part came true...

The reality is that it's way easier to make and sell a shooter than a 2D platformer.

Yeah, but it's easier to make and sell a 2D platformer than a 3D one.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

RolStoppable said:
amp316 said:
RolStoppable said:

If only that last part came true...

The reality is that it's way easier to make and sell a shooter than a 2D platformer.

I disagree, partly. A 3D platformer is easier to make, but it's harder to sell.

According to what you said, you disagree 100% unless I'm reading that wrong.

RolStoppable said:
amp316 said:
RolStoppable said:
amp316 said:

I disagree, partly. A 3D platformer is easier to make, but it's harder to sell.

According to what you said, you disagree 100% unless I'm reading that wrong.

You are reading it wrong. I agree that it's easier to sell a 2D platformer.

So you think that it's easier to make 3D environments than 2D ones?  I'm not so sure about that.

I will say that more thought has to go into designing the levels in the 2D ones though.

RolStoppable said:
amp316 said:
RolStoppable said:

You are reading it wrong. I agree that it's easier to sell a 2D platformer.

So you think that it's easier to make 3D environments than 2D ones?  I'm not so sure about that.

I will say that more thought has to go into designing the levels in the 2D ones though.

Yup, more thought has to go into the design of 2D levels, because you can't afford to have huge spaces of nothing. It's more work to create 3D environments, but we are talking about the games as a whole here. The faster a game is paced, the harder it gets to make the game good. 3D platformers are generally slow paced, so the developers have less to worry about which makes their job easier.

Agreed.

So we're not arguing anymore?

What were we arguing about?

What was this thread about?