By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Orange Box for the Wii?

Thankyou naznatips!!

Half-Life 2 has the greatest weapon in all of gaming!! The gravity gun at the end of the game is just the best. If you have not reached the end of this game you are missing out.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network
naznatips said:
famousringo said:
Grey Acumen said:
portal

And TF2.

Honestly, Half-life 2 itself was a pretty overrated shooter.

I can't stand when people call Half-Life 2 overrated. If anything it's the exact opposite. The gamers raised on Halo play it and don't get it at all. They don't understand why there are puzzles and a plot. They don't understand why the focus is on interaction instead of mindless action. Honestly, I know everyone has opinions about games, but geeze nothing kills my respect for gamers like HL2 bashing.

QFTFT

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

It would run at 10 frames per second best .And crap online .Not a good idea .

Diomedes1976 said:

Cause it ran at 10 frames a second on Xbox... and the online has less lag than PS3s? I'm gonna guess you didn't read the thread.

Diomedes1976 said:

Oh you mean it would run like it does on the PS3? (couldn't resist)

The Orange Box can be run in as low as DirectX 7. Not that that is necessary as the Wii should easily be able to handle the shaders it runs in DX8 at a solid 30 FPS. Nintendo allows alternate online systems to Friend Codes. Medal of Honor Heroes 2 uses standard servers just like PC games do.

Of course the Wii can't handle The Orange Box at max settings. There is no question of that at all. It doesn't run in max settings on the 360 or PS3 either... Most of the added shader effects in Episode 1 and Episode 2 would have to be disabled (including HDR most likely), but that doesn't mean it can't run the game. Valve developed the game so that it could be run on varrying degrees of PC capability, and it could be scaled to the Wii fairly easily.

I wouldn't buy it on the Wii of course since I already bought it on Steam, and my PC runs Ep2 at around 75FPS on max settings, but anything that would let more people play this game is a good thing. A lot of people are missing out on an incredible gaming experience and what is frankly in my opinion the best value in a single package in gaming history. I hope a Wii version is made so more people can play it, and I'm sorry that some fanboys out there don't want other people to play good games just because they don't own the same platforms.

Around the Network
fazz said:
About PS 1.4, PS 3.0 and DX8.0... do Wii and PS3 games get programmed on DirectX anyway? I always thought they where OpenGL (GC being OpenGL 1.2 or something) :P

They probably use either a custom API, or a custom version of OpenGL.  I think I read somewhere that the PS3 does have an OpenGL implementation.  I don't know if that's official from Sony or someone else's middleware, how good it is, etc.

But no, the Gamecube's TEV doesn't support the ps1.4 standard, it just has similar flexibility in its pixel pipeline.

famousringo said:
Grey Acumen said:
portal

And TF2.

Hal-Life 2 was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences i've ever had. And i'm not even into FPS-es that much.

As for Orange box on the Wii, it would be certainly a good business decision (it's a port, MP3 and MOHH2 have already shown how the controls should be implemented), so, even if it sells 300k it would be profitable.

I doubt i'll wait for it to get on the Wii, the $35 steam offer is just too tempting.

joora said:
famousringo said:
Grey Acumen said:
portal

And TF2.

Hal-Life 2 was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences i've ever had. And i'm not even into FPS-es that much.

As for Orange box on the Wii, it would be certainly a good business decision (it's a port, MP3 and MOHH2 have already shown how the controls should be implemented), so, even if it sells 300k it would be profitable.

I doubt i'll wait for it to get on the Wii, the $35 steam offer is just too tempting.

If your PC can run it, just get it there. It would likely cost $50 on the Wii. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

It would be WORTH $50 on the Wii :P

but no, likely it would only be about $30 - $40 like Resident Evil4 Wii version was.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:
It would be WORTH $50 on the Wii :P

but no, likely it would only be about $30 - $40 like Resident Evil4 Wii version was.

1. RE4 came out 2 years later on the Wii.

2. Little work was done to adjust the graphics.

3. Still, those games work best with K/M, so $35 for the PC version is still a great price. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs