By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Orange Box for the Wii?

tk1797 said:
Entroper said:

I realize he's banned, but I'll continue the discussion anyway:

Destroyer_of_knights

On a side note, TEV is the older technology, Shaders is the newer technology expecially since it's the industry standard and is now at model 3 for PS3/360 and most PC's, while the model 4 shaders are with the DX10 graphic cards which are becoming more comon,

Now here, he's starting to approach something that makes sense. He's still missing what a "shader" is, but he's absolutely correct about Shader Model 3 being more advanced than the Gamecube's TEV. But consider that the TEV's programmability is roughly on par with pixel shader 1.4, and the Xbox (not the 360) GPU is on par with pixel shader 1.1 (in fact it supports the ps1.1 standard). No one would argue with me if I said the Xbox supported shaders.

You can say I'm picking nits by complaining about someone saying "doesn't support shaders" instead of "doesn't support shader model 3." And you'd be right, if that was my point. But my point is that people tend to use these things just to bash a platform without really knowing what they're talking about, and this is a clear example.

I'm not really a tech person so I can't be sure but if the wii's shader abilities is on par with pixel shader 1.4 and the 360 has pixel shader 3.0, wouldn't that make porting difficult and not really worth it because it would be such downgrade. I haven't seen the xbox version of half-life 2 but i'd imagine it couldn't have been that great.

Just because it's 3.0 vs 1.4 doesn't mean that 3.0 is twice as good as 1.4

Also, just because 360 HAS 3.0 doesn't mean that all of 3.0's capabilities are being used.

Also keep in mind is that 360 is not the only system that Valve has designed orange box to run on, as it's also a PC game and is scalable to run, even on older systems, most likely through various graphical options.

Besides, the important part is getting the gameplay and story ported over properly, the graphics only need to be powerful enough to support the story and gameplay.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

no

ot: why is the orange box so good?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

portal

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:

Just because it's 3.0 vs 1.4 doesn't mean that 3.0 is twice as good as 1.4

Also, just because 360 HAS 3.0 doesn't mean that all of 3.0's capabilities are being used.

Also keep in mind is that 360 is not the only system that Valve has designed orange box to run on, as it's also a PC game and is scalable to run, even on older systems, most likely through various graphical options.

Besides, the important part is getting the gameplay and story ported over properly, the graphics only need to be powerful enough to support the story and gameplay.

Bingo.  The Orange Box already has a "DirectX 8" rendering path, which means it's designed to be compatible all the way back to pixel shader 1.1 (and one would assume that HL2 ported to the Xbox used this rendering path).

yeah i know it are multiple small games put togheter for the price of one.
but why all those high ratings?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Grey Acumen said:
portal

And TF2.

Honestly, Half-life 2 itself was a pretty overrated shooter.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

About PS 1.4, PS 3.0 and DX8.0... do Wii and PS3 games get programmed on DirectX anyway? I always thought they where OpenGL (GC being OpenGL 1.2 or something) :P

Grey Acumen said:

I guess I just make it too hard to get a good argument going or something.

Good arguement yes. Crazy personalized flame wars? That's where the big threads come from. =P

If the Orange Box did come to the Wii maybe you can finally TWIST items with the damn gravity gun in Half-Life 2. So annoying trying to get a barrel upright by knocking against a raised piece of road or whatever until it finally gets knocked upright.

famousringo said:
Grey Acumen said:
portal

And TF2.

Honestly, Half-life 2 itself was a pretty overrated shooter.

I can't stand when people call Half-Life 2 overrated. If anything it's the exact opposite. The gamers raised on Halo play it and don't get it at all. They don't understand why there are puzzles and a plot. They don't understand why the focus is on interaction instead of mindless action. Honestly, I know everyone has opinions about games, but geeze nothing kills my respect for gamers like HL2 bashing.

While HL2 is possible on the Wii, Episode 1 & 2 are probable not. Yes Valve could turn down the settings ( a lot ) to get it to run but it would look horrible. No HDR, that would suck

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E