By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Orange Box for the Wii?

Wow this is still going? Is it really that threatening to people that the Wii might get a game you've set in your mind on as being a "mature" franchise?

Children, children... play nice.

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:
Wow this is still going? Is it really that threatening to people that the Wii might get a game you've set in your mind on as being a "mature" franchise?

Not really, it's just the Destroyer of Knights doesn't understand that just because it's not caused a shader doesn't mean it isn't one. Like how a hamburger and a Whoper are both actually hamburgers... despite one actually being called a whoper and being prepaired in a slightly different way.

Kasz216 said:
Onimusha12 said:

Not really, it's just the Destroyer of Knights doesn't understand that just because it's not caused a shader doesn't mean it isn't one. Like how a hamburger and a Whoper are both actually hamburgers... despite one actually being called a whoper and being prepaired in a slightly different way.

TEV and shaders are different technologies which can achive similiar effects, just like HDtvs can be either Plasma or LCD, the core technology is different but they produce similiar results, but you do not call a plasma TV a LCD tv now you do, the same applies to shaders and TEV stages, this is all I'm trying to clarify.

On a side note, TEV is the older technology, Shaders is the newer technology  expecially since it's the industry standard and is now at model 3 for PS3/360 and most PC's, while the model 4 shaders are with the DX10 graphic cards which are becoming more comon, and of course their will be certain shader effects that will simply not be possible on TEV tech, but then again the wii was never meant to be a graphics powerhouse since Nintendo stance is gameplay over graphics, so kudos to them for sticking to their words.

Destroyer_of_knights said:
Kasz216 said:
Onimusha12 said:

TEV and shaders are different technologies which can achive similiar effects, just like HDtvs can be either Plasma or LCD, the core technology is different but they produce similiar results, but you do not call a plasma TV a LCD tv now you do, the same applies to shaders and TEV stages, this is all I'm trying to clarify.

On a side note, TEV is the older technology, Shaders is the newer technology expecially since it's the industry standard and is now at model 3 for PS3/360 and most PC's, while the model 4 shaders are with the DX10 graphic cards which are becoming more comon, and of course their will be certain shader effects that will simply not be possible on TEV tech, but then again the wii was never meant to be a graphics powerhouse since Nintendo stance is gameplay over graphics, so kudos to them for sticking to their words.

I'd call them both TVs. Much how Coke and Pepsi are different kinds of soda made differently, that do the same thing. Yet in many parts of the world are both refered to as coke. Shaders both refer to Shaders, and things that in general Shade in computer graphics. Much how Coke refers to Coke and other carbonated beverages that quench thirst.

Kasz216 said:
Destroyer_of_knights said:
Kasz216 said:
Onimusha12 said:

On a side note, TEV is the older technology, Shaders is the newer technology expecially since it's the industry standard and is now at model 3 for PS3/360 and most PC's, while the model 4 shaders are with the DX10 graphic cards which are becoming more comon, and of course their will be certain shader effects that will simply not be possible on TEV tech, but then again the wii was never meant to be a graphics powerhouse since Nintendo stance is gameplay over graphics, so kudos to them for sticking to their words.

I'd call them both TVs. Much how Coke and Pepsi are different kinds of soda made differently, that do the same thing. Yet in many parts of the world are both refered to as coke. Shaders both refer to Shaders, and things that in general Shade in computer graphics. Much how Coke refers to Coke and other carbonated beverages that quench thirst.

their's no point me trying to explain when clearly you don't understand what I'm talking about, but suffice to say that more effects can be attained from GPUs that have shader model 3 and above, than GPU's that only have TEV stages.

Around the Network
Slayer of God said:

@ Those two guys that were arguing back and forth about online capabilities for the wii

You only seemed to mention Medal of Honor. I've spent tons of time online with my Wii play Guitar Hero III. I've had no lag issues and you DO NOT NEED FRIEND CODES. they have a system set up so you can add friend codes if you wish to keep playing the same people but it isnt necessary at all and you can still have access to everything the game offers with out the codes.

Also doesnt Mario Chargers (or strikers, i cant remember) have a decent online system. I havnt played this one, only heard.

So there is 3 games now anyway instead of just the one you guys kept mentioning.

who was talking about online capabilities?

Woah, I went to Christmas dinner and people gets banned. How cool.

I think people is not getting this thanks to that Matt guy from IGN: The TEV thingy on the GC is used for shaders, it is really similar to a fully programmable pixel shader, the difference is that it's not fully programmable (duh). Even if the Wii used the same architecture, it would still support shaders. We have seen some of the so-called "nex-gen effects" like depth-of-field, HDR, parallax mapping, normal mapping, motion blur, etc. on the Wii already. Also, Nintendo could use a different GPU and still achieve hardware backwards compatibility as long as the CPU is similar to the old one.

Also, how expensive would have been to Nintendo to throw in a middle-low end Radeon GPU? Like a X600 or X1300, that would put the Wii WAY ahead of anything last-gen... oh and BTW, if you open up your Wii (if you have one, because I think at least two people on this thread don't) and remove the heatspreader of the Hollywood, you'll see that one of the dies on it is the same size as a RV515 a.k.a. the Radeon X1300. May be just a coincidence I guess.

Also to Squall: Shaders don't have anything to do with resolutions (720p, 1080p). Nintendo could unlock 720p on the Wii and still have a nice performance (if they wanted), as games like Galaxy run at 60 frames per second flawlessly. It could run at double the resolution at half the frame rate.

A TEV program is a shader according to the technical definition of the word shader.

It's just incredibly sad that some of us are apparently unable to make that piece of knowledge consistent with our pre-existing misconceptions, and will prefer to make fools out of ourselves, vehemently denying this fact in the face of someone far more knowledgeable than us in the subject at hand. But oh well... eventually, that knowledgeable person will no doubt get tired of trying to educate us, and move on to bigger and better things.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
fazz said:
Nintendo could unlock 720p on the Wii and still have a nice performance (if they wanted), as games like Galaxy run at 60 frames per second flawlessly. It could run at double the resolution at half the frame rate.

I doubt that, because if I'm not mistaken, the GC/Wii family seems to have dedicated frame buffer memory, which likely isn't big enough to fit the bigger frame buffer. But other than that (hypothetic) issue, you're correct - given the same fill rate you could certainly have more resolution simply at a lower frame rate.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

@ Onimusha12

This thread is still going on because you made the 1000th post on game x should come to the wii and people are tired of reading them.

This thread is childish.