By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HDTV penetration among console gamers

I haven't yet seen a single HDTV with HD tuner, they all have SD tuners built-in.

Uh, what? There isn't really such a thing as an "HD tuner." There are digital (ATSC) tuners, which receive digital broadcasts, which may or may not be HD. Virtually every HDTV ever made has one of these -- the ones that don't have to be called "HD Ready" or "HD monitors" rather than HDTVs. Most of them also have analog (NTSC) tuners, but that doesn't keep them from receiving HD signals.

And earlier this year, august perhaps, there was a worldwide poll in Everybody Votes Channel, about is your TV widescreen, and only about half of the voters had widescreen, meaning half was still playing with 4:3 TV:s. And assuming that the people who have their Wiis online are more tech orientated people, the result was surprising. So, i'm a little sceptic about the research in the OP. It could be possible, but i still see the number a little high.

Well, I would hope that work done by the Nielson Group is a little more scientific than the Everybody Votes Channel. For instance, one factor that could confound that poll is the possibility that people who are still amused by entertainment polls are a less tech-savvy group as a whole (and I say that without any snideness).

Around the Network

Yeah Griffin, you are right, and EVERYONE else is wrong. Cant even tell a diff between HD and SD!!

no diff in quality for games?? or movies? are you joking??? I think you are more then likely a bitter f*ck that cant afford a HDTV like the Jones.

HDTV sales are absolutely exploding this year in the US. Going to retailers, I usually see dozens of people with HDTVs exiting the store. Whether people like it or not, HDTV is here to replace SDTV in the next few years, and it will be around for a very long time. Right now we're just in the foothills of HDTV sales increases.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

That means that 20% of the world are gamers?

mM
Borkachev said:
I haven't yet seen a single HDTV with HD tuner, they all have SD tuners built-in.

Uh, what? There isn't really such a thing as an "HD tuner." There are digital (ATSC) tuners, which receive digital broadcasts, which may or may not be HD. Virtually every HDTV ever made has one of these -- the ones that don't have to be called "HD Ready" or "HD monitors" rather than HDTVs. Most of them also have analog (NTSC) tuners, but that doesn't keep them from receiving HD signals.

And earlier this year, august perhaps, there was a worldwide poll in Everybody Votes Channel, about is your TV widescreen, and only about half of the voters had widescreen, meaning half was still playing with 4:3 TV:s. And assuming that the people who have their Wiis online are more tech orientated people, the result was surprising. So, i'm a little sceptic about the research in the OP. It could be possible, but i still see the number a little high.

Well, I would hope that work done by the Nielson Group is a little more scientific than the Everybody Votes Channel. For instance, one factor that could confound that poll is the possibility that people who are still amused by entertainment polls are a less tech-savvy group as a whole (and I say that without any snideness).

Well, i've seen only ones with DVB-tuners. There's even own standards for OTA, cable, satellite and mobile phones TV broadcasts and you need a decoder for each. And a digital HD-receiver costs about the same than HDTV:s at cheapest. To be called "HD-Ready", the TV needs to have either DVI or HDMI input and 720+ resolution. I have seen these TV:s, that are advertised as HDTV:s, but it looks like they differ from HD-Ready so, that they have 1080p resolution and HDMI input. Theoretically SD tuners could read HD broadcasts, since SD channels come in packages, and one package uses the bandwidth of one channel in HD (720p). But we'll see about that, i believe there's even own standard for DVB-HD. They actually are planning to broadcast one HD channel and the same SD channel in one package. One problem is, that there's only Estonia, which is really pushing HD-broadcasts. Instead of going digital, they go to HD. The whole digital SD/digital HD thing is so heavily lobbed by electronics manufacturers and electronics retail, so we won't be getting the easiest way. Oh, and one notion is, that the future PS3 SKU includes both, HD and SD tuners. You may be right about the people who vote in the polls, but there is another way how you can think the "tech orientated" people, which didn't come into my mind. Which is, that these people won't necessarily jump to HD, when they know that they benefit only so little from it.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I have my PS3 connected to a 7/8 year old SDTV, although it was good at the time. However, I also an HDTV in the main living room, and when I connect my PS3 to it, it is just so my better than on an SDTV. Admittedly this is a top of the line 50" HDTV, but when I go back to the SDTV, it's just a rubbish experience in comparison

dgm6780 said:
Yeah Griffin, you are right, and EVERYONE else is wrong. Cant even tell a diff between HD and SD!!

no diff in quality for games?? or movies? are you joking??? I think you are more then likely a bitter f*ck that cant afford a HDTV like the Jones.

I never said their was no difference, i said there was little difference for the cost.  I would also bet my SDTV looks comparable to any HDTV that is not top of the line.  Maybe you went from a 10 yearold 19" RCA to a 27" crap HDTV from wal-mart that looks better but most people have something better. 

I've been looking to buy a HDTV for almost two years and from what i have seen the HDTV's do not look that great for what they charge,  i'm also not looking at the ones that they offer at costco or wal-mart like where you shop for your budget crap HDTV.   I'm looking to spend $2500+.

I've also seen HD movies playing on 40" 1080p TV's, yes they look nice, but not $2500 nice.  I've also seen HDTV shows and they don't look that much better.  I've also seen DVD's upscaled on $200 upscalers and they only look ok, the same goes for 360's/PS3's being played on HDTV's.

Borkachev said:

They really don't Nielson actually is quite known in the US for sucking, but being aroudn just because it's been around forever. Their studies are usually full of holes... even their tried and true TV tests are horrible measures.

FinalEvangelion said:
HDTV sales are absolutely exploding this year in the US. Going to retailers, I usually see dozens of people with HDTVs exiting the store. Whether people like it or not, HDTV is here to replace SDTV in the next few years, and it will be around for a very long time. Right now we're just in the foothills of HDTV sales increases.

Well yeah, you can't even buy bigger SD Tvs in most places. The question is... of the HDTVs bought... how many are actually set up for, and take advantage of HD content? I think you'd find the answer is very few. How many 360s and PS3's hooked up to HD Tvs are still useing the out of the box cables for existance? How many people even know they need to do something special to get HD channels and don't just assume that as soon as they plug it in they are getting the best screen quality?

I still don't see how this changes anything. Show me the penetration rate of pay HD tv service or HD movie players. That is much more representative of those interested in HD. I own 2 HD TVs and cancelled my HD cable beacause it was more expensicve than regular and offered too little additional content.

I have seen a variety of polls and watching HD is one of the last things on peoples mind when they buy a flat screen. Most consumers are much more excited about finally watching their 480P dvds at optimum quality, without black bars, than to worry about the next step up in resolution.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt