By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HDTV penetration among console gamers

I hear a lot of people saying that HD is irrelevant to this generation because "hardly anyone has an HDTV" (the usual estimate is about 25% of people). I don't imagine anyone remembers, but I've argued a few times on here that this estimate is wrong because: A) the polls that estimate was based on (the actual figure was 28%) were taken at the beginning of the year, and HDTV penetration rates are much higher now, and B) that figure was for the general population, whereas video gamers are a technologically affluent subgroup in which HDTV owners will naturally be much more common. My guess was that something like 70% of PS3 owners were using HDTVs, and more than half of Wii owners (I never got around to the 360).

Finally, Nielson's done the research to find the actual figures. They are:

Percentage of consoles hooked up to an HDTV

Wii: 65%

XBox 360: 66%

PS3: 71%

The audio hookup data is interesting too: 

Only a small fraction of people are using SDTVs or standard TV speakers. 

There are a lot of implications of this, which could have (and have had) threads of their own. At the very least though, I hope this ends the myth that HDTV and HD support don't matter. HD is already the norm; in five years, it'll be almost ubiquitous.

Around the Network

This is only for console gamers, unfortuantely, and console gamers are still a very small part of the market, and also a part of the market ususally more in the know about AV technology, this is not representative of the market as a whole, nor of even most owneners of HDTVs, most of whom do not have any HD service.

HD still has a long ways to go before it is important to most people 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I am still rocking on a 20-inch '86 JVC television. My bro has got his Xbox, N64, and PC hooked up to a Dolby 5.1 Surround sound stereo.

Snesboy

Extrapolating from these figures (very roughly).
If there are 100 M television households.
Just over 1 in 5 have a console.
And if one-quarter are high def hosueholds -- that's 25M.

And if two-thirds of consoles are hooked up to HD-TV and 20M have been sold -- that's 13 M

Therefore, half the HD TVs in the US have games hooked up to them.

Does this make sense?

(The more I see of Nielson's numbers about gaming -- the less I trust them).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Nielson, Patcher, NPD Funworld.....

They are all full of shit.

Snesboy

Around the Network

I own a Wii, and I have a 42" HDTV, with a home theatre surround sound 6.1 set-up...

And you should really add a 6 speaker set up to that list. Some people would say that 7.1 is inferior to 6.1, because with 7.1 the two back speakers are mono.

I onw a Wii PS3 and 360 as well as a stand alone HDDVD player and a single speaker surround bar from Yamaha^^b simulates 5.1 sound pretty damn well. 32" HDTV but the rest of my household uses 30" or lower SDTV's and show no signs of changing till current tv's are dead...

Samus012 said:
I own a Wii, and I have a 42" HDTV, with a home theatre surround sound 6.1 set-up...

And you should really add a 6 speaker set up to that list. Some people would say that 7.1 is inferior to 6.1, because with 7.1 the two back speakers are mono.

With 6.1 source material 7.1 back speakers are mono, but with DPLIIx or 7.1 source material they aren't.

I have a 42" HDTV and a Wii too

(plus a PS3 that only gets used for PS1/PS2 games[woot for FFIX], and a 7.1 audio setup) 

Now that is quite interesting, because a common argument for Nintendo-haters is that "when people buy more HDTVs they won't give a damn about Wii", but this proves that a good deal of Wii owners ALREADY have HDTVs, so that's another argument that can be ignored from now on.

On the sound department, it's much more hassle than the TV. People usually sticks to TV speakers because of the laziness... like me. I have my Wii on the TV's pseudo-stereo sound. I have a spare 2.1 speakers lying somewhere in my house, but... you know.

fazz said:
Now that is quite interesting, because a common argument for Nintendo-haters is that "when people buy more HDTVs they won't give a damn about Wii", but this proves that a good deal of Wii owners ALREADY have HDTVs, so that's another argument that can be ignored from now on.

On the sound department, it's much more hassle than the TV. People usually sticks to TV speakers because of the laziness... like me. I have my Wii on the TV's pseudo-stereo sound. I have a spare 2.1 speakers lying somewhere in my house, but... you know.

Sound bars are really convenient and easy to set up but they're still kinda expensive ^^; Mine was almost as much as my TV and has a DVD that upscales to 1080i internal.. they save a lot of space though and look lovely mounted under or over the TV on the wall... personally I have mine hidden behind a Legend of Zelda wall scroll, people look for the speakers often lol