By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First Person Shooter: Mouse, Gamepad or Wiimote?

YfzinJay said:

"When the trigger was pulled, the game blanked out the screen with a black background for one frame, then, for one additional frame, drew a solid white rectangle around the sprite the user was supposed to be shooting at. The photodiode at the back of the Zapper would detect these changes in intensity and send a signal to the NES to indicate whether it was over a lit pixel or not. A drop followed by a spike in intensity signaled a hit. Multiple sprites were supported by flashing a solid white rectangle around each potential sprite, one per frame."

Wikipedia 

Wow... Anyone els throw up while reading that? Haha, J/k. That actually makes perfect logical sense. Im actaully a little ashamed I didnt think of that. Thanks guys. I can finally sleep again (its been about 2 months)

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

Around the Network

on the topic since this went way off, Mouse and Keyboard for FPSs and RTSs and sometimes racers but gamepads normally are your best bet.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Narfer said:
YfzinJay said:

"When the trigger was pulled, the game blanked out the screen with a black background for one frame, then, for one additional frame, drew a solid white rectangle around the sprite the user was supposed to be shooting at. The photodiode at the back of the Zapper would detect these changes in intensity and send a signal to the NES to indicate whether it was over a lit pixel or not. A drop followed by a spike in intensity signaled a hit. Multiple sprites were supported by flashing a solid white rectangle around each potential sprite, one per frame."

Wikipedia

Wow... Anyone els throw up while reading that? Haha, J/k. That actually makes perfect logical sense. Im actaully a little ashamed I didnt think of that. Thanks guys. I can finally sleep again (its been about 2 months)

Close to what I said.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:
Narfer said:
YfzinJay said:

Wikipedia

Close to what I said.

Ok, sorry I didnt thank you individually Kwaad. Wouldnt want to hurt your feelings.

Thanks Kwaad!!! And props to you! (your way of putting it didnt make my head hurt and make me throw up)

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

I have plenty of experience with all 3 modes and I really like the Wiimote for FPS' because its the most realistic and takes skill to master.  The mouse and keyboard is too good, anyone instantly becomes world's greatest sniper.  Console controls are simply so terrible I don't know how anyone plays CoD on a console instead of a PC unless they don't have that choice. 

Though the game itself was not very good I really liked CoD3's controls on the Wii.  Is it hard to shoot someone while running with the Wiimote? Yes, and it's just as hard to do it in real life.  Is it hard to shoot somone moving or hiding over 150 yards away with the Wiimote? Yes, and it's just as hard to do it in real life.  Is it hard to shoot all 30 guys running at you from all directions with the Wiimote?  Yes, and it's just as hard to do it in real life.  Does the Wiimote generate some inaccuracy from pushing whichever button to shoot?  Yes, just like pulling the trigger is one of the biggest causes of inaccuracy in real life.  I served in the army so I can attest to the fact that those things are not easy in real life (I only shot plastic targets but the principle is the same, and never from front and back at the same time but that can be inferred from the difficulty of front alone).

What will need to happen is FPS' will have to be different for the Wiimote just like they are different between mouse/keyboard and controller.  Controllers require a dumbed down experience to mask their inadequicies, anyone who's played Halo on a PC can see just how dumbed down they are.  Mouse/Keyboard requires huge numbers of enemies coming from all directions because again you can quite unrealistically drop somone at 300 yards while running and jumping with a mouse and keyboard.  The Wii will need a more realistic experience.  Not as many enemies, not as much movement (guess what, when bullets are flying all over you don't tend to move all that much), more emphasis on tactics and smart play like suppressive fire, flanking, bounding movement, proper use of cover, etc.  All of that is generally pointless on a PC or console since both encourage Rambo tactics for different reasons (exceptional aim and movement on a PC and superhero stamina on the consoles).

I'm really excited about the ability of the Wii to generate realistic shooter games in the future.  Otherwise I'd rate the Wiimote inbetween a PC and console.  Preferable to a console FPS but since I have a computer I'd rather play CoD and MoH on it.